Naplex/mpje 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mustang sally

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any 2012 grads taken their boards already? I'm signed up for NAPLEX June 15th and MPJE about a week after that. I'm trying to study but it has been hard with traveling for job interviews and a bunch of other random crap going on. Plus I have heard such conflicting things about studying from the classes above me...one girl told me she literally only studied for four hours while other people go nuts making note cards.

Personally, I'm just reading over the APhA book and practicing lots and lots of calculations. Hopefully I retained enough from pharm school to pass. Haven't though much about MPJE yet, but should probably be hitting that harder than NAPLEX I guess. What's everyone else doing to study?

Members don't see this ad.

I took (and passed!) the NAPLEX last week. I worked through most of the chapters in the APhA book (focusing on my weak spots first, then skimming the chapters I was more familiar with). I pretty much skipped the first chapters of the book and focused on the disease-state chapters. I devoted about 1-2hrs a day x 20 days. Near the end I tapered off a bit--it was hard to get motivated.

The APhA book is a little dense and detailed, but I think as long as you take some of the detail with a grain of salt, it's fine for guiding you through the major things you need to know.

I also used:
- APhA online quiz bank (to get a feel for answering questions on the computer)
- Quizlet.com (for studying brand/name top 200 drugs, hospital drugs, and HIV drugs)
- Pre-NAPLEX (1 week before test, reassured me)
- SDN 120 calculations (did ~1/2 of the calculations)

In retrospect, I'm not sure how much my performance on NAPLEX was due to studying versus just happening to know things (some of the questions seemed pretty random). Either way, I'm glad it's done!

Next up--the MPJE...

Soooo just curious. I havent seen any "select all that apply" questions in any of my prep material. These are still on the exam, correct? Were there a lot or few and were they reasonable or just like ridiculous? The questions on RXprep seem kind of basic after reviewing the sections..

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep--"select all that apply" questions were definitely on the NAPLEX. I don't remember there being a ton of them... The format of the question itself makes it more difficult, but I don't remember the questions that I had as being too bad.

There were also a few other question formats in the test, namely free response calculation questions, and clicking on an area of a picture. I only had a few of these.

You can read the registration bulletin for question types (if you haven't already): http://www.nabp.net/programs/assets/NAPLEX-MPJE.pdf (Look at pages 16 and 17)

Any 2012 grads taken their boards already? I'm signed up for NAPLEX June 15th and MPJE about a week after that. I'm trying to study but it has been hard with traveling for job interviews and a bunch of other random crap going on. Plus I have heard such conflicting things about studying from the classes above me...one girl told me she literally only studied for four hours while other people go nuts making note cards.

Personally, I'm just reading over the APhA book and practicing lots and lots of calculations. Hopefully I retained enough from pharm school to pass. Haven't though much about MPJE yet, but should probably be hitting that harder than NAPLEX I guess. What's everyone else doing to study?

I've been told the same thing as far as the ease of the NAPLEX and having to study for the test. I'm erring on the side of caution though. I've gone through the RxPrep book (3X) and the SDN calculations. Plan to do a few chapters of the APhA book as well.

Law is another story. I got bored studying for the NAPLEX and started with law this week....it's killing me.

I also recommend the Pre-NAPLEX. Gives you a feel for the layout and wording of things.

I hated the select all that apply questions and know I got all of those wrong. Blah.

RxPrep book and its corresponding quizzes online are helpful.

I did well on the pre-NAPLEX and now I have even less motivation to study. Still trying to get going with MPJE stuff...I hate law!

I did well on the pre-NAPLEX and now I have even less motivation to study. Still trying to get going with MPJE stuff...I hate law!

Same here. I got a 129 on the preNAPLEX 2 weeks ago and since then things haven't been the same haha.

Studied RxPrep for the NAPLEX and got a 103 on the Prenaplex. Took the NAPLEX on 5/29 and got a 107. Took the MPJE (FL) yesterday and pretty sure I bombed it. Damnnnn that was ridiculous!

Wow you're taking your exams early. I sent in my paperwork at the end of April and the PA board still hasn't given me my authorization to test. In fact, they sent us all a mass e-mail that processing time of applications is 6-8 weeks.

Wow you're taking your exams early. I sent in my paperwork at the end of April and the PA board still hasn't given me my authorization to test. In fact, they sent us all a mass e-mail that processing time of applications is 6-8 weeks.

Some states seem super fast while others are soooo slow. I got my ATT in my home state literally 1 day after I sent in the paperwork.

Yep--"select all that apply" questions were definitely on the NAPLEX. I don't remember there being a ton of them... The format of the question itself makes it more difficult, but I don't remember the questions that I had as being too bad.

There were also a few other question formats in the test, namely free response calculation questions, and clicking on an area of a picture. I only had a few of these.

You can read the registration bulletin for question types (if you haven't already): http://www.nabp.net/programs/assets/NAPLEX-MPJE.pdf (Look at pages 16 and 17)

Thanks for your post, Do they provide Molecular weight or Atomic Formula weight for mEQ Osmolarity problems ? or we should remember them ?

I appreciate your reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
For fellow Texas NAPLEXers: I took the exam on June 11 at 8AM, and my results were available online by June 13. The scores are online this year for Texas-takers at http://www.nabp.net/programs/examination/naplex/naplex-and-mpje-score-results/, and the turnaround for knowing your exact score is pretty quick. I took the exam on a Monday, and my score was available online today (Wednesday). I didn't bother checking for my score yesterday, so it may have been even faster than a 2 day turnaround.

So, I felt like I failed after taking the exam (like a lot of other people), and in spite of my best efforts, I still passed. For everyone feeling pre- and post-NAPLEX anxiety, I wanted to impart the things that went wrong with my experience:
1.) Time: I didn't finish the exam. I had 3 unanswered questions at the end which means that I received the score penalty for not finishing the exam in addition to missing those questions outright.
2.) Sleep-deprivation: I had an 8AM exam, and I slept for 2 hours the night before the exam.
3.) Studying: I studied seriously for one week before the exam; about 8 hours each day. Before that, I only idly flipped through pages.
4.) Overactive bladder: To compensate for the lack of sleep, I drank a bunch of coffee shortly before and during the break of the exam. You guys know what happens afterwards.

What I wish I did differently:
1.) Don't re-read questions or pour over the patient cases. I should not have double & triple-checked questions so much (I only changed one of them), and I spent a lot of time trying to find a tricky detail in every patient case. I thought I was doing fine on time, but towards the end of the exam, I had a string of some 6 math questions in a row which put me behind schedule, and I would have had a lot more time if I hadn't been so... er, meticulous.
2.) Sleep 8 hours at all costs. It's easy to get tunnel-vision on an exam and become fixated on the wrong details when you're tired. Even if you're not done studying, I would prioritize sufficient sleep before the exam over extra studying.
3.) I think morning caffeine was actually a good idea. The cup of water didn't help though.

Now, I do think it is important to studying for the exam, but like many people have already said, don't give yourself undue grief before and after the exam. It's going to feel pretty tedious regardless, and the angst is unavoidable. But, as long as you can keep a level head, you'll be fine.

--Garfield3d

For fellow Texas NAPLEXers: I took the exam on June 11 at 8AM, and my results were available online by June 13. The scores are online this year for Texas-takers at http://www.nabp.net/programs/examination/naplex/naplex-and-mpje-score-results/, and the turnaround for knowing your exact score is pretty quick. I took the exam on a Monday, and my score was available online today (Wednesday). I didn't bother checking for my score yesterday, so it may have been even faster than a 2 day turnaround.

So, I felt like I failed after taking the exam (like a lot of other people), and in spite of my best efforts, I still passed. For everyone feeling pre- and post-NAPLEX anxiety, I wanted to impart the things that went wrong with my experience:
1.) Time: I didn't finish the exam. I had 3 unanswered questions at the end which means that I received the score penalty for not finishing the exam in addition to missing those questions outright.
2.) Sleep-deprivation: I had an 8AM exam, and I slept for 2 hours the night before the exam.
3.) Studying: I studied seriously for one week before the exam; about 8 hours each day. Before that, I only idly flipped through pages.
4.) Overactive bladder: To compensate for the lack of sleep, I drank a bunch of coffee shortly before and during the break of the exam. You guys know what happens afterwards.

What I wish I did differently:
1.) Don't re-read questions or pour over the patient cases. I should not have double & triple-checked questions so much (I only changed one of them), and I spent a lot of time trying to find a tricky detail in every patient case. I thought I was doing fine on time, but towards the end of the exam, I had a string of some 6 math questions in a row which put me behind schedule, and I would have had a lot more time if I hadn't been so... er, meticulous.
2.) Sleep 8 hours at all costs. It's easy to get tunnel-vision on an exam and become fixated on the wrong details when you're tired. Even if you're not done studying, I would prioritize sufficient sleep before the exam over extra studying.
3.) I think morning caffeine was actually a good idea. The cup of water didn't help though.

Now, I do think it is important to studying for the exam, but like many people have already said, don't give yourself undue grief before and after the exam. It's going to feel pretty tedious regardless, and the angst is unavoidable. But, as long as you can keep a level head, you'll be fine.

--Garfield3d

Thanks for the info. Really helpful. Did you by chance take the pretest? If you did how close was your pretest score to your naplex score? I'm debating if I should do the prenaplex.

Thanks for your input!

I'm sure this is posted somewhere, but im too tired to look it up. Do we have to memorize normal lab values, or are we given ranges like they are in RxPrep? Thanks!!

Thanks for the info. Really helpful. Did you by chance take the pretest? If you did how close was your pretest score to your naplex score? I'm debating if I should do the prenaplex.

I didn't take the pre-NAPLEX or any other pre-test. I only studied APhA's "Complete Review for Pharmacy." There are likely much better and more succinct review books out there, but the book came free with the APhA membership and I was too cheap to pay for any other books or any review classes.

Thanks for your input!

I'm sure this is posted somewhere, but im too tired to look it up. Do we have to memorize normal lab values, or are we given ranges like they are in RxPrep? Thanks!!

Another person already answered it, but I wanted to echo what he said. It's like RxPrep.

--Garfield3d

So how was it???

So how was it???

It was pretty random. Some questions were so easy that it made me wonder if I was doing poorly on the exam. The rest of it just seemed hard and off-the-wall though. I saw almost the exact same math problem twice, so I'm pretty sure I screwed it up the first time. Oh well, hope I passed. :xf:

So how did you do? Was the naplex close to the pretest?

My scores were only two points apart (118 on pre-naplex, 116 on naplex). I know they say on pre-naplex that they cannot guarantee a certain naplex score, but in talking to others in my class, it seems that most people are coming up with similar scores on both.

As far as similarity between the two, pre-naplex gives you a good feel for what the testing format will be like but the actual questions that you get on the naplex will obviously be different (seemed like same level of difficulty to me though).

My scores were only two points apart (118 on pre-naplex, 116 on naplex). I know they say on pre-naplex that they cannot guarantee a certain naplex score, but in talking to others in my class, it seems that most people are coming up with similar scores on both.

As far as similarity between the two, pre-naplex gives you a good feel for what the testing format will be like but the actual questions that you get on the naplex will obviously be different (seemed like same level of difficulty to me though).

Congratulations on passing!

Hi, does anyone know if you don't finish the exam, you can still pass the NAPLEX? I'm so panic. I had the last 15 questions all math and rushed through the first 10 questions and ran out of time on the last 4 or so questions. Please help!!!

Hi, does anyone know if you don't finish the exam, you can still pass the NAPLEX? I'm so panic. I had the last 15 questions all math and rushed through the first 10 questions and ran out of time on the last 4 or so questions. Please help!!!

This is one of those times in your life where you should probably read the thread. Your question has already been discussed earlier in this thread. To make things easier for you, I've quoted it below...

Also, you have to attempt a minimum of 162 questions (out of a total of 185) to receive a score. If you don't attempt 162 questions, then you don't receive a score (ie: you fail). Fortunately, you attempted enough questions, so that doesn't apply to you.

Remember, the world is a big place. A lot of questions get re-asked, and while sometimes the answers get buried in the passage of time, it's a bit ironic that you asked a question that's already been answered in the same thread.

--Garfield3d

Impatiently waiting for my results, my state does not participate in the online reporting of scores. Does anyone feel as though they totally bombed the math yet still received a passing score? The math gave me a lot of trouble but I feel I did well on the rest of the exam. I heard that if you dont get enough math questions right despite how you perform on the rest of the test, you can still fail. Does anyone have any personal experience with this/insight/opinion?

This is one of those times in your life where you should probably read the thread. Your question has already been discussed earlier in this thread. To make things easier for you, I've quoted it below...

Also, you have to attempt a minimum of 162 questions (out of a total of 185) to receive a score. If you don't attempt 162 questions, then you don't receive a score (ie: you fail). Fortunately, you attempted enough questions, so that doesn't apply to you.

Remember, the world is a big place. A lot of questions get re-

Thanks garfield 3d. It's just panic. Now there's no other choice but wait

Just got my NAPLEX score. I got a 121 (scored a 118 on pre-NAPLEX about a week before the test), and I seriously left the test feeling I bombed it. My biggest advice is to get a good night's rest the night before, and practice your math! Thanks to everyone who posts on here! Ya'll have been a big help in mitigating my stress about this test!

Just got my results and figured I'd toss my .02 into the hat too. Let me first say I am nowhere near a 4.0 student nor a solid test taker and I was still convincingly able to pass the NAPLEX. You get a lot of obscure stuff sure, but for the most part the exam is a LOT of common sense stuff.

To study, I used the RXprep book (didnt even finish it) but I think the saving grace was probably the RXprep lectures online along with the quiz bank. The lectures are well done and you hear things repeated in many lectures that are key things and it kind of helps you remember them. For me that helped a lot, because If i just read a book I dont retain much. I still have access to these materials which I am going to put for sale in the classified section.

Also the 120 questions on here helped a bit, I had a LOT less math than I figured I would (literally only like 15 math probs I think). But I would definitely make sure you're comfortable with titrations and allegations.

Timewise, I finished about 15 minutes early, I think the biggest thing was you KNOW when you see a question you arent going to know or be able to figure the answer to. Dont beat your self up over it and just pick one and roll on. It will give you some extra time to figure out ones you want to double check or want to think about.

I think the test is A LOT easier than most make it out to be, just the weight of everything that is riding on it makes it stressful. Have faith in your last 4 (3 for some) years of school, this is where it pays off lol.

Hello Everyone,

I am taking the Naplex in two weeks. I am a very nervous test taker and am trying to stay calm, it isn't working very well. I wanted to get more information about the calculations. I did all the RX prep calculations ( I feel llike I need to get a little faster), do you think that is enough or should I get another book and do more? What did everyone use to study brand generic? I have a community background and am worried about the hospital drugs. Thanks for any information!

Congrats on those that passed this year! I just started my final year rotations and trying to stay ahead of the curve and doing some fill in studying here and there.

For those that just finished rotations and took the test, what would you recommend freshening up on, reviewing, making sure to commit to memory for rotations and the test?

Just finishing up for first rotation site at an independent and absolutely loved it. Have another indy then my break followed by 4 hospital rotations. thanks in advance!

Congrats on those that passed this year! I just started my final year rotations and trying to stay ahead of the curve and doing some fill in studying here and there.

For those that just finished rotations and took the test, what would you recommend freshening up on, reviewing, making sure to commit to memory for rotations and the test?

Just finishing up for first rotation site at an independent and absolutely loved it. Have another indy then my break followed by 4 hospital rotations. thanks in advance!

I seriously would suggest you focus on rotations. Don't worry about the Naplex yet, you'll have plenty of time to study while you wait for board authorization to test. For rotations in the hospital, be familiar with guidelines. Probably in the following topics as a starter:

Infectious disease
Stress ulcer prophylaxis
ACS
Dvt prophylaxis
Other cardiac conditions

Just took the NAPLEX today. Finished it in just under 2 hours. NY MPJE scheduled for next week.

Anyone know how long it takes for results of the NAPLEX to come in?

I just took the naplex in IL this past Saturday (6/30/12) - and got my results today! I passed!!! So its quite quick turn around... however, we use a different system rather that nabp for the results... so your mileage may vary... Gluck!!!

Just took the NAPLEX today. Finished it in just under 2 hours. NY MPJE scheduled for next week.

Anyone know how long it takes for results of the NAPLEX to come in?

Two business days.

6/15 NAPLEX, got results on 6/19
6/30 MPJE, got results on 7/3

NY uses the same online reporting through NABP that Florida does.

I am looking for study partner is NNJ area for preparation of Naplex - 2013.
I am up for meeting 2 to 3 times a week for 2-4 hours in Newak/ Jersye city and clifton area.
thanks

I am up for meeting 2 to 3 times a week for 2-4 hours in Newak/ Jersye city and clifton area.
thanks

Just got my NAPLEX score. I got a 121 (scored a 118 on pre-NAPLEX about a week before the test), and I seriously left the test feeling I bombed it. My biggest advice is to get a good night's rest the night before, and practice your math! Thanks to everyone who posts on here! Ya'll have been a big help in mitigating my stress about this test!
thanks

question for you folks that took the recent NAPLEX.
i took it in 2008 and my husband will be taking it now in 2013 in a few weeks.
i gave him my study material, but i'm wondering how much has changed in the last few years. i know that's silly to ask since most of you obviously only took the recent version.

basically looking for anecdotes, opinions from your experience and from what'd you've heard.

i heard there was a big issue and suspension of the exam after the drama with a certain professor and study guides.

did anybody use said notes and still find it helpful? were there very recent guidelines on there?

he is using my old stuff but the newer APHA book and McGraw-Hill.

thanks!

question for you folks that took the recent NAPLEX.
i took it in 2008 and my husband will be taking it now in 2013 in a few weeks.
i gave him my study material, but i'm wondering how much has changed in the last few years. i know that's silly to ask since most of you obviously only took the recent version.

basically looking for anecdotes, opinions from your experience and from what'd you've heard.

i heard there was a big issue and suspension of the exam after the drama with a certain professor and study guides.

did anybody use said notes and still find it helpful? were there very recent guidelines on there?

he is using my old stuff but the newer APHA book and McGraw-Hill.

thanks!

So I think that he is probably going to be fine. Not a lot of difference since 2008--except more biologics/cancer/anticoag. I think the APhA book for this year does a good job preparing candidates for the exam. I took the MPJE on 5/15 and passed (scores took 2 days) and took the NAPLEX today 5/22. I prepared by using the RxPrep and APhA book, focusing on the highlights for major disease states. I hope his test goes well. PM me if you have more questions.