Need Advice ASAP on NYCOM please GPA /MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctorman

TouroCOM-NY
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted somewhere else but I think it was wrong so here is the new post.
I'm looking in to the NYcom very seriously.
I have a very good science GPA 3.83 but I didnt study the best possible for MCAT and ended up with 8 bio 9 physics and 3 Verbal
now dont ask me how I got a 3 in verbal .. maybe I messed up when I was filling in the boxes or maybe I speak french not english... (I have been here in US for 5 years now)

I have worked in ER operation room for more than 150 hours and NYcom is 15 min drive from our house (a NY resident)

What should I expect .. specially applying early .. in a week or 2 by the beggining of september 2006 for next year.

I called the school and they said they need at least a 19 in mcat and at least 3.2 GPA but can my 3.8 GPA from Towson university over rule my very low mcat verbal?

if anyone takes a minute and answer me I would be sooooo much appreciated!

P.S. I will try my best to get letters from DO s and MDs and even students NYcom .. any suggestions would be well appreciated!

P.S. I did register for the august mcat for the sunday tests actualy but since NYCOM only accepts the latest mcat score I will decide after taking another full length tomorrow if I will retake the mcat. I know I did very poor :( in the mcat but 1st I wanna make sure I wont mess up the science part of the mcat if I retake it.

Members don't see this ad.

Doctorman said:
I have a very good science GPA 3.83 but I didnt study the best possible for MCAT and ended up with 8 bio 9 physics and 3 Verbal
now dont ask me how I got a 3 in verbal .. maybe I messed up when I was filling in the boxes or maybe I speak french not english... (I have been here in US for 5 years now)

I have worked in ER operation room for more than 150 hours and NYcom is 15 min drive from our house (a NY resident)

What should I expect .. specially applying early .. in a week or 2 by the beggining of september 2006 for next year.

I called the school and they said they need at least a 19 in mcat and at least 3.2 GPA but can my 3.8 GPA from Towson university over rule my very low mcat verbal?

P.S. I will try my best to get letters from DO s and MDs and even students NYcom .. any suggestions would be well appreciated!

P.S. I did register for the august mcat for the sunday tests actualy but since NYCOM only accepts the latest mcat score I will decide after taking another full length tomorrow if I will retake the mcat. I know I did very poor :( in the mcat but 1st I wanna make sure I wont mess up the science part of the mcat if I retake it.

Ok...ill try my best to answer in a short and concise manner, without getting into all the factors that go into adcom decisions....

Basically, looking at your GPA and MCAT scores alone, I would say you have a very poor chance at best of getting an acceptance anywhere. That is to say, basically if school averages are reflective of true matriculant scores, then you PROBABLY (and I use that term statistically) will not get in anywhere.

In addition, you have to remember that current theory holds that out of the three numerical scores on the MCAT, the Verbal Reasoning is of particular interest to the adcoms.

Im sure many more will chime in soon....thats just my .02 :)

learn english...then retake mcat...goodluck

Members don't see this ad :)
CuttinEmUp said:
Ok...ill try my best to answer in a short and concise manner, without getting into all the factors that go into adcom decisions....

Basically, looking at your GPA and MCAT scores alone, I would say you have a very poor chance at best of getting an acceptance anywhere. That is to say, basically if school averages are reflective of true matriculant scores, then you PROBABLY (and I use that term statistically) will not get in anywhere.

In addition, you have to remember that current theory holds that out of the three numerical scores on the MCAT, the Verbal Reasoning is of particular interest to the adcoms.

Im sure many more will chime in soon....thats just my .02 :)
sounds realistic. any hopes.. any one else from NYcom?

DrMikeyLu said:
learn english...then retake mcat...goodluck
Can I retake the January 19, 2007 CBT MCAT and still enter NYcom by August 2007?

If I have to wait 2 years probably I would start taking DAT. :idea:

I know of a few people that got in with a 20 or 21 to nycom. I don't know their score breakdown, sorry.

dannj12 said:
I know of a few people that got in with a 20 or 21 to nycom. I don't know their score breakdown, sorry.
Wow that was such a relaxing answer...ahhh thank you my heart was almost stopping!

any more info please...

Doctorman said:
Wow that was such a relaxing answer...ahhh thank you my heart was almost stopping!

any more info please...

yah i also know someone who got in with a 21 on the mcats. i honestly think that if you apply, given that you have a pretty good science GPA (but what's your overall?), there's a chance of them giving you at least an interview. since you did ok on the physics and bio part, they might be wondering why there was such a huge difference in your verbal score... they would probably wanna ask you themselves. ;) goodluck though.

hey docman, although it may be possibe with a 19, i think your breakdown would have to be like 7,6,6. I just can't see a 3 getting you in unless the adcom is willing to look into the language issue and disregard that part of your mcat

DRKUBA said:
hey docman, although it may be possibe with a 19, i think your breakdown would have to be like 7,6,6. I just can't see a 3 getting you in unless the adcom is willing to look into the language issue and disregard that part of your mcat

I agree. In addition, some schools even have required minimums like they might say MCAT score minimum reqmnt. is 7 or 8 or whatever. That means each section must hit that minimum.

I dont see an adcom disregarding the VR score, its just to important. I mean if language is an issue, then it will continue to be an issue throughout the medical school curriculum.

CuttinEmUp said:
I agree. In addition, some schools even have required minimums like they might say MCAT score minimum reqmnt. is 7 or 8 or whatever. That means each section must hit that minimum.

I dont see an adcom disregarding the VR score, its just to important. I mean if language is an issue, then it will continue to be an issue throughout the medical school curriculum.
I asked them and they said no we look at the MCAT score in whole.

I speak just fine and as a matter of fact I dont have an accent ( not a bad one .. unless every is lying to me lol)
and I did very good in my other courses .. and they were all in The United States of America with english books, teachers and tests.. hope that can help me in ...

but of course it depends on how they look at it not us.

I can be considered a minority student hopefully...

the things is I couldnt study well for my mcat due to family situation. but as of this second I have my hopes high and Im gona go strong ...

keep the info comming please...

My over all GPA is higher than 3.85 I have to recalculate.

I need connections..lol (praying to g-d)

Doctorman said:

any more info please...

i would contact the NYCOM admissions office and talk to them. they are pretty nice. also, there's a NYCOM open house coming up in the fall. there's a thread somewhere here with all the open house dates.

if you want to be a physician, in my opinion you should retake the MCAT and apply early for 2008. if you don't care between DO and dentist then take the DAT and see how well you do on that. from your posts it doesn't seem that your english is so bad...

bigfatk said:
i would contact the NYCOM admissions office and talk to them. they are pretty nice. also, there's a NYCOM open house coming up in the fall. there's a thread somewhere here with all the open house dates.

if you want to be a physician, in my opinion you should retake the MCAT and apply early for 2008. if you don't care between DO and dentist then take the DAT and see how well you do on that. from your posts it doesn't seem that your english is so bad...
I already did call NYCOM today, and they were nice.
I also visited their website and found out about the open house in November 2006 and faxed in the reservation.

I want to be a physician but I realy can not wait 2 years hanging around before I go to school. (I already wasted a year)
If I don't get in NYcom I have to go for DAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doctorman said:
I also visited their website and found out about the open house in November 2006 and faxed in the reservation.

I want to be a physician but I realy can not wait 2 years hanging around before I go to school. (I already wasted a year)

Did you submit your AACOMAS already? If not, do it ASAP.
Have you considered schools in the caribbean?
Good luck! I hope NYCOM can see past your verbal score, it seems like a fluke. :thumbup:

bigfatk said:
Did you submit your AACOMAS already? If not, do it ASAP.
Have you considered schools in the caribbean?
Good luck! I hope NYCOM can see past your verbal score, it seems like a fluke. :thumbup:
Honestly I was very disapointed with my MCAT score. the verbal realy surprised me. even in PT tests I would do 7.. Im sure I messed up some where filling up the boxes.
I was almost giving up on the MD option today the idea of DO came to my mind specialy fiding out this nice DO school 15 min away from my house..so I called them up and I got all the hopes after what I heard.

So, after all .. NO I did not fill up the AACOMAS yet. but I will do it next week.

please let me know if you know any one getting into NYCOM with a low MCAT please.. I like to know their profile and how they managed everything.

I wouldnt mind paying big$$$ for a good connection in..

search mdapplicants.com

Just relax while the verbal is low your GPA is good and it sounds like you have a well rounded application.

with your awesome GPA, I would definitely recommend not abandoning the MD or DO route if your heart is set on it. The verbal is very tricky but in my opinion it is the easiest to bring your score up out of all the MCAT sections. I recommend getting the EXAM KRACKERS verbal reasoning workbook (amazon.com $15-$20), it has like 1000 questions and you should work on it maybe 2-3 months leading up to the MCAT, if you do finish the book and feel like you learned anything you should be good for getting a 7 or higher in the section on the MCAT. That section has several different (but limited) types of questions that you just need to be familiar with and you will do very well. (sad to say I actually found it fun to do those passages when I started to get most of the questions right)

(oh also in your free time read LOTS of books and articles to be used to reading topics on a variety of random subjects)

anyways if you are up for the challenge you can take the MCAT in the April and still be able to raise your credentials for this year or have a jump start at the next cycle.

best of luck!

I have heard good things about the EK books also, check out the MCAT threads also [esp. 30+]

LINYKid said:
Just relax while the verbal is low your GPA is good and it sounds like you have a well rounded application.

Ohh my G-d .. Thank you soo much for the power you just gave me!

Can you recommenced anything I can do to boost my application..

I really don't mind reimbursing who ever who is going to help me make my application strong.

TerpDO said:
with your awesome GPA, I would definitely recommend not abandoning the MD or DO route if your heart is set on it. The verbal is very tricky but in my opinion it is the easiest to bring your score up out of all the MCAT sections. I recommend getting the EXAM KRACKERS verbal reasoning workbook (amazon.com $15-$20), it has like 1000 questions and you should work on it maybe 2-3 months leading up to the MCAT, if you do finish the book and feel like you learned anything you should be good for getting a 7 or higher in the section on the MCAT. That section has several different (but limited) types of questions that you just need to be familiar with and you will do very well. (sad to say I actually found it fun to do those passages when I started to get most of the questions right)

(oh also in your free time read LOTS of books and articles to be used to reading topics on a variety of random subjects)

anyways if you are up for the challenge you can take the MCAT in the April and still be able to raise your credentials for this year or have a jump start at the next cycle.

best of luck!
I have all EK books but I dont have 2-3 months till sunday test lol

I will post how I do on the AAMC PT 9 tomorrow and base on that I will decide if I will retake the sunday MCAT.

but again...

Can I retake the Jan 2007 mcat and still go in to school by Sep 2007?

Hmmm hows your ec's, make them as strong as possible but you still have great grades, unlike myself a future nycom hopefull in 2yrs.

I would apply as early as possible since interviews and amiddions are rolling. Get your LOR's ready and such.

Doctorman said:

We are not adcoms, that being said, APPLY. The end.

LINYKid said:
Hmmm hows your ec's, make them as strong as possible but you still have great grades, unlike myself a future nycom hopefull in 2yrs.

I would apply as early as possible since interviews and amiddions are rolling. Get your LOR's ready and such.
What is "LOR's"? Sorry lol

My ec's.. Umm I did volunteer work in operation room and emergency room. This year I will get in to research programs I guess.. What else do you recommend?

Thank you LYNKID for all your support!

Any other info about people getting in NYCOM would be well appreciated.

Doctorman said:

Still reading all of these posts but wanted to say... if you get two free years it wouldn't be such a bad thing. Maybe you could get some serious research or a hospital internship under your belt before the next app cycle as well.

If you were to wait, use the time wisely :) Adcomms, from what I hear, look well upon that..

drmax said:
Still reading all of these posts but wanted to say... if you get two free years it wouldn't be such a bad thing. Maybe you could get some serious research or a hospital internship under your belt before the next app cycle as well.

If you were to wait, use the time wisely :) Adcomms, from what I hear, look well upon that..
I'm getting married and anyone married here knows that it costs money to be married lol. so I have to go on with my life. but I will try my best.

Can you recommend some good reaserch programs so I can plan it before I can hand in my application?

yes I am in New York .

I have heard there are people in our incoming class with a lower MCAT than you, but again I don't know their breakdown. Because you are French, I would think that NYCOM may look past your poor verbal so long as you are proficient in English. Since you were obviously able to comprehend the other sections of the test, your English can't be too bad. NYCOM loves diversity and every year they take 40 foreign physicians and train them as US DO's. With that being said, I think they will be able to understand your verbal score. Your GPA is awesome so it should help a lot. Do not give up, you are not out of the running for NYCOM, just closer to the bottom of the pile than you'd like.

Doctorman said:
that is very nice of you!
i totally agree with jamres...apply, and apply even to saba, sgu and ross and maybe some other carribean school. If you do not want to waste two years this is a good way to go. Don't take the mcat now...you most likely will end up making it in a disaster without recent prep.
Research www.valuemd.com for more info on caribbean schools.
Oh and no, january 2007 mcat is not taken by most of the schools for the august 2007 marticulation....plus most schools have deadlines much sooner then your mcat results would be back.

JasonUD said:
I have heard there are people in our incoming class with a lower MCAT than you, but again I don't know their breakdown. Because you are French, I would think that NYCOM may look past your poor verbal so long as you are proficient in English. Since you were obviously able to comprehend the other sections of the test, your English can't be too bad. NYCOM loves diversity and every year they take 40 foreign physicians and train them as US DO's. With that being said, I think they will be able to understand your verbal score. Your GPA is awesome so it should help a lot. Do not give up, you are not out of the running for NYCOM, just closer to the bottom of the pile than you'd like.
Thank you very much for the info. I just took tests 9R and decreased by 2 points in physycs part alone.. so Im now 85% sure that Im not retaking it.

I will start applying to NYcom and putting my file together.

Anyways now I need some good reaserch programs that attarcts NYcom attention.. can any NYcom ers suggest any programs please?

dr.kicia said:
i totally agree with jamres...apply, and apply even to saba, sgu and ross and maybe some other carribean school. If you do not want to waste two years this is a good way to go. Don't take the mcat now...you most likely will end up making it in a disaster without recent prep.
Research www.valuemd.com for more info on caribbean schools.
Oh and no, january 2007 mcat is not taken by most of the schools for the august 2007 marticulation....plus most schools have deadlines much sooner then your mcat results would be back.
I will look in to www.valuemd.com thank you so much for the info!

Doctorman said:
I will look in to www.valuemd.com thank you so much for the info!
ur welcome...
By the way some Caribbean schools are very good. I suggest you look more into Saba and SGU...Saba especially has very impressive USMLE scores and residency match. You can look it up here http://www.saba.edu/residency_match.php (even neurosurgery spot!! that one girl got).
They do not even require MCAT and i think with your GPA you would have no problem getting in. The requirenments are here http://www.saba.edu/admissions_requirements.php .They conduct interview usually by phone. You can also apply to marticulat ein spring(january 2007) or fall semester (august 2007). I never applied there by the way but i am pretty recourcefull and it is good to know. Though i am all the way DO so i would rather try forever to get into osteopathic school before thinking about Saba (MD), though i think that it would be a good alternative for you :D
Alfo look up here for the interview feedback about this school http://www.studentdoctor.net/interview/process_read.asp
and always if you have more questions go to the saba board on the valuemd.com here is the direct link http://www.valuemd.com/saba-university-school-medicine/
do some search to see what kind of applicants get in there...just don't ask "what are my chances" kind of questions becouse they seem to be pretty allergic to them
good luck

dr.kicia said:
ur welcome...
By the way some Caribbean schools are very good. I suggest you look more into Saba and SGU...Saba especially has very impressive USMLE scores and residency match. You can look it up here http://www.saba.edu/residency_match.php (even neurosurgery spot!! that one girl got).
They do not even require MCAT and i think with your GPA you would have no problem getting in. The requirenments are here http://www.saba.edu/admissions_requirements.php .They conduct interview usually by phone. You can also apply to marticulat ein spring(january 2007) or fall semester (august 2007). I never applied there by the way but i am pretty recourcefull and it is good to know. Though i am all the way DO so i would rather try forever to get into osteopathic school before thinking about Saba (MD), though i think that it would be a good alternative for you :D
Alfo look up here for the interview feedback about this school http://www.studentdoctor.net/interview/process_read.asp
and always if you have more questions go to the saba board on the valuemd.com here is the direct link http://www.valuemd.com/saba-university-school-medicine/
do some search to see what kind of applicants get in there...just don't ask "what are my chances" kind of questions becouse they seem to be pretty allergic to them
good luck
Thank you soo much again! that was some good info. wish I knew it long time ago.

Just study from now until test time i have no doubt that you can bring it up maybe 3pts just relax and dont be surprised if your'e apart of the entering class of 2011 Good luck

Doctorman said:

...I called the school and they said they need at least a 19 in mcat and at least 3.2 GPA but can my 3.8 GPA from Towson university over rule my very low mcat verbal?

Well, technically 8+9+3 = 20, and 20>19
...however...
I've never heard of anyone getting in with lower than a 5 in one section.
Preferrably you'll have at least an 8 in each section.
Do whatever you have to do to raise the verbal.
One thing may be to read the questions before the passage so you'll know what you're looking for.

Oculus Sinistra said:
Well, technically 8+9+3 = 20, and 20>19
...however...
I've never heard of anyone getting in with lower than a 5 in one section.
Preferrably you'll have at least an 8 in each section.
Do whatever you have to do to raise the verbal.
One thing may be to read the questions before the passage so you'll know what you're looking for.

that does scare me... maybe I should ask aamc to recheck my verbal section.. I would never do so bad..
in PT I would do 6-7 easily

maybe I screwed up and filled up the wrong box.. but as of now Im filling up the AAMcomAs and hope for the best.

that does scare me... maybe I should ask aamc to recheck my verbal section.. I would never do so bad..
in PT I would do 6-7 easily

maybe I screwed up and filled up the wrong box.. but as of now Im filling up the AAMcomAs and hope for the best.
Just wanted to let everyone know that they should not give up. give it your best shot.
I am now in Medical school OF MY CHOICE!

Gluck

Just wanted to let everyone know that they should not give up. give it your best shot.

Gluck

Good job. Congrats! :thumbup:

BTW, when did you get the acceptance?

Gluck

wow, congrats! did you end up retaking the mcat..?

Gluck

CONGRATS:clap::clap::clap::banana:
i am very happy for you...way to go and prove SDNers that never giving up get's you to your destination!!!
best of luck in med schoo:luck: