Need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wekmekrn

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a non traditional applicant, 27 years old and have a crappy undergrad gpa (2.7). After undergrad I continued and got my MPH and now ready to apply. Grad school gpa is 3.73. Took the new mcat (489). I have pretty good extracurricular: research in Africa, worked in the ER, MA at primary care and volunteering. Realistically, I know my chances are very low but I'm applying anyways. I'll take the mcat again next year if I need to.

I'm considering a diy post bacc. Do people just apply for a new major and take upper level sciences?

Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Find a university near you that allows you to just take classes "cafeteria style" rather than signing up for a degree program. That is what people mean by a DIY post bac.

If you retake any F/D/C grades you got and do well you can very quickly get your GPA up to speed for a DO application. If you are adamant about MD there is no sense in retakes - you are better off taking upper level bio and chem classes that interest you and getting As in them.

Also that MCAT is way low. Too low for DOs. Maybe retake after getting some coursework down.

Reactions: 1 user
You can sign up for a degree program if that's what it takes to get the classes you need. They can't force you to finish the actual degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a non traditional applicant, 27 years old and have a crappy undergrad gpa (2.7). After undergrad I continued and got my MPH and now ready to apply. Grad school gpa is 3.73. Took the new mcat (489). I have pretty good extracurricular: research in Africa, worked in the ER, MA at primary care and volunteering. Realistically, I know my chances are very low but I'm applying anyways. I'll take the mcat again next year if I need to.

I'm considering a diy post bacc. Do people just apply for a new major and take upper level sciences?

Any advice is appreciated.

Yeah you will definitely need to retake that MCAT. It equates to a 19 on the old scale, which is probably going to get you screened out for DO, and certainly for MD. Also, adcoms will look much more heavily at undergrad GPA compared to grad (some may not even consider it), so you would need to bring up the 2.7 as well. I did a post-bacc too, but it was structured and not DIY. Be sure to ask how class registration goes for the DIY because several classmates of mine had previously tried that route and were complaining how they were the last to be eligible to register for courses, and thus missed out. Not to say you would have this same problem, but just be aware. Your EC's look good, just gotta boost up the stats. Good luck!

My local university does have "cafeteria style" but that does not allow any financial aid so it would all be out of pocket, which isn't practical for me. I'm leaning towards MD, so better to stick with upper level bio and chem? I've already taken these and got B's but I should take them again? My undergrad gpa represents a horrible freshman year without anyone telling me all science classes at once is a bad idea. My grades improved every year but not enough to change my overall gpa. And I wanted to have my masters to show I can handle upper level coursework without retaking everything. Was it a waste of time? I'm hopeful I'll at least get into a school's post bacc program.

Thanks!

Also, is it okay to retake courses at a community college? Or does it have to be a university? CC is obviously more affordable.

Also, is it okay to retake courses at a community college? Or does it have to be a university? CC is obviously more affordable.

Yes, as a nontraditional, you can certainly retake courses at a CC. Just make sure that the courses are significantly the same in terms of hours and content. If you go to a university to get around the problem of registering last, why not just declare a major and take classes. No one says you have to finish.

Also, if you want MD, you're going to need to look at SMP programs. DO is a much better option given your current GPA and the grade replacement policies of AMOCAS.

Yes, as a nontraditional, you can certainly retake courses at a CC. Just make sure that the courses are significantly the same in terms of hours and content. If you go to a university to get around the problem of registering last, why not just declare a major and take classes. No one says you have to finish.

Also, if you want MD, you're going to need to look at SMP programs. DO is a much better option given your current GPA and the grade replacement policies of AMOCAS.

I'm not avoiving registering late, I'm avoiding paying out of pocket for each course.

I already have my MPH, there aren't any true post bacc programs in my area and I cannot move because I own a house and work 40 hours a week(again, non traditional applicant).

I'm not avoiving registering late, I'm avoiding paying out of pocket for each course.

I already have my MPH, there aren't any true post bacc programs in my area and I cannot move because I own a house and work 40 hours a week(again, non traditional applicant).

I meant an SMP as a bridge to a MD school. Without that possibility and even that would probably be a reach, you should look at DO schools and forget about MD schools. With the merged match that should be here by the time you would finish, you really have nothing to lose other than a pair of different letters behind your name. You'll get much further with grade replacement in the DO world.

I meant an SMP as a bridge to a MD school. Without that possibility and even that would probably be a reach, you should look at DO schools and forget about MD schools. With the merged match that should be here by the time you would finish, you really have nothing to lose other than a pair of different letters behind your name. You'll get much further with grade replacement in the DO world.

Thanks for your help! That makes sense and I thought I would go DO for a long time then switched. I'm okay with switching back

Find a university near you that allows you to just take classes "cafeteria style" rather than signing up for a degree program. That is what people mean by a DIY post bac.

If you retake any F/D/C grades you got and do well you can very quickly get your GPA up to speed for a DO application. If you are adamant about MD there is no sense in retakes - you are better off taking upper level bio and chem classes that interest you and getting As in them.

Also that MCAT is way low. Too low for DOs. Maybe retake after getting some coursework down.

Agree with this advice. Retaking the MCAT is a must

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone heard of Northwestern Health Sciences University in MN? They have a new post bacc program and I'm thinking about applying there. Any advice is appreciated.