MD & DO Need help w/ school list, 28 MCAT 3.76 post bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

purplecricket

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, looking for some guidance here when it comes to making up my school list and deciding whether or not to retake my MCAT. Currently thinking low-tier MD and DO schools, but I don't yet have any DO shadowing.

GPA:
undergrad cGPA 3.39, post bacc (graduate level) 3.76, M.S. 3.88

ECs:
1 yr w/ cat rescue, currently volunteering w/ dog rescue
1 yr w/ blood donor organization
Over a year w/ current volunteer position at a free clinic
VP of a science-related club in undergrad
80 hrs of shadowing, currently searching for DOs who will let me shadow

~6 months undergrad lab experience (nothing intensive, cell counting, PCR, that kinda thing)
I do have more significant research experience from completing my master's degree. I did research in autoimmune conditions. No publications, though :(

I took the old MCAT April 2013, 7 PS, 11 VR, 10 BS, 28 overall. Biggest issue at the moment is figuring out if I'm going to be able to retake my MCAT and still apply this year. Currently scheduled to take the new one tomorrow, but I'm considering just taking it for the experience to see what it's like and then voiding it since I really am not comfortable w/ my practice scores. If I go that route I'll likely not be able to take it until July. A part of me just wants to apply with what I've got now.

Any insight greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should be competitive for most DO schools. Apply to at least 15 schools in June and submit all your secondaries by July.
Your chances for MD are low, probably ~25%, but it would be worth applying to your public state schools and low tier private schools.

Thanks! Looks like I should get on finding some DO shadowing opportunities.
Anyone have suggestions for private MD schools to apply to? I'm a Virginia resident.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to all the VA schools and be on the lookout to see if Henricopilis opens in 2016. Other schools to consider are Quinnipiac, New York Medical College, Albany, Commonwealth (PA), Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Western Michigan, Oakland Beaumont, Rosalind Franklin, Creighton.

Reactions: 1 user
what is a "graduate-level" post-bac? only undergraduate courses count toward the GPA that med schools care about

your chances for MD with a 3.39 (let's call it a 3.50 if you include post-bac, assuming it's an undergrad post-bac) and a 28 are about 32%, according to table 25. they would be higher if you retook the MCAT and did significantly better, but if you take it in July you won't get the score back until september, putting you at a disadvantage.

bottom line: you are in great shape for DO now. if you want MD, wait until you're sure you can do very well on the MCAT and apply next cycle

Reactions: 1 user
what is a "graduate-level" post-bac? only undergraduate courses count toward the GPA that med schools care about

your chances for MD with a 3.39 (let's call it a 3.50 if you include post-bac, assuming it's an undergrad post-bac) and a 28 are about 32%, according to table 25. they would be higher if you retook the MCAT and did significantly better, but if you take it in July you won't get the score back until september, putting you at a disadvantage.

bottom line: you are in great shape for DO now. if you want MD, wait until you're sure you can do very well on the MCAT and apply next cycle

Thanks for your advice, I meant to say that it's a certificate program similar to an SMP, minus the master's part, but it was designed to do the same thing. I finished my master's after that. I'll suppose the best thing would be to start working on getting some DO shadowing hours.

Ah, another question, are there any DO schools I should avoid considering I have a 7 in my PS section?