Need help with School List

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ConfusedFulbrightScholar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying to MD schools this June. I am taking the June MCAT, will submit my primary to 1 school on June 1st, and hopefully be complete by late July when my MCAT scores come out.

It is important for me to get my list ready now because I will be pre-writing.

I am a 22 y/o senior, 3.65 cGPA, 3.42 sGPA, at time of application will be a Fulbright Scholar in Indonesia. I am also an Education major, who has taught for 6 months as a Middle School Life Science Teacher. My LOR's are good, and my essay writing ability has been often complimented. I have conducted 4 years of research with 1 publication.

I am planning to apply to 20, maybe 25 schools. What seems like a more reasonable number?

VA Resident.

1. The University of Virginia MSTP
  2. Virginia Tech
  3. Virginia Commonwealth University (Re-applicant, applied here as a BS/MD two years ago, didn't get in)
  4. Eastern Virginia Medical School
  5. University of Vermont
  6. Medical College of Wisconsin
  7. Rosalind Franklin
  8. University of Illinois
  9. Loyola Chicago
  10. Tulane
  11. Oakland Beaumont
  12. University of South Florida
  13. Florida Atlantic
  14. University of Miami
  15. Wake Forest
  16. Commonwealth Medical College
  17. Pennsylvania State
  18. Quinnipac
  19. Albany
  20. New York Medical College
  21. Dartmouth
  22. Tufts
  23. Jefferson
  24. Drexel
  25. Hofstra

Members don't see this ad.

We really need the MCAT.
Right, if it helps, the average of 8 tests I've taken is 518.2, which roughly correlates to a 95 percentile.

I'm fully expecting a score ranging from the 93rd - 96th percentile. I've been studying for 4 months, and was planning to take the MCAT in April, but couldn't find a seat in my state, so the additional 2 months might even push me towards the higher end of my prediction.

I took an MCAT previously 2 years ago. I thought I could take it right after I took my prereqs...but it was not like the SAT. I scored a 23, and have over-studied this time to avoid a similar fate.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you get a 90+ percentile MCAT i think your list is fine. you're wise to pre-write your secondaries. as long as you're thinking ahead, might as well call some offices to see what they do with multiple MCAT scores

if you get a 90+ percentile MCAT i think your list is fine. you're wise to pre-write your secondaries. as long as you're thinking ahead, might as well call some offices to see what they do with multiple MCAT scores
How many MCAT's does he have?!

he said he took the MCAT 2 years ago and got a 23, so it's probably worth asking around to see how that'll be viewed, even if he does well on the new one

Reactions: 1 user

Hey thanks for the reply. I checked out your mdapps, congrats on the acceptances!!! My sGPA is the same as yours, I was wondering if you did an SMP?

Hey thanks for the reply. I checked out your mdapps, congrats on the acceptances!!! My sGPA is the same as yours, I was wondering if you did an SMP?
no, but i did a post-bac and got a 4.0 (which is included in that GPA). i'm also a pharmacist and have some unique work and volunteer experience