Need some advice as an unsuccessful first time applicant...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camtheram1815

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, thanks any feedback in advance, sorry for the length too!

So here's the scoop, I'm going to be a re-applicant this cycle, and I need some advice.

To start, I think there are two main reasons for me not getting accepted this cycle: the first being that I did not submit my secondaries until mid to late September at most schools; the second being that my school list was poor. I applied to 15 schools, but I would say about half of those were state schools I had no business applying to (UWisconsin, Arizona, Cincinnati, Colorado, etc...) or high yield schools that receive over 10000+ apps (BU, Tufts, Rosalind Franklin, etc...) and applying late to these schools I think is a death sentence as I've found out the hard way. So in my mind, I probably had a legit shot at about 8 or 9 schools.

Regardless of this poor list, I still snagged 2 interviews at pretty decent schools (Creighton SOM and Medical University of South Carolina). I got waitlisted at Creighton because they wanted to see more non-clinical volunteering hours, and rejected from MUSC (still waiting to hear back as to why, I was honestly shocked when I got the news, I was explicitly told in my interview they thought my application was excellent). I'll mention I am an Oregon resident, and I have ties to SC, which helped me snag an interview there. I did not receive an interview at OHSU, which I was also surprised by. They have not gotten back to me as of why either.

My stats are a 3.75ish and a 512 MCAT (125 CARS, I know, a bit unbalanced). I'll also say the 3.7 is a bit deflated in my mind because I originally started college in engineering and received a 3.0 GPA for freshman year, but have since had 90ish credits worth of a 4.0 in Biochemistry. I really would be shocked if any of the schools had a problem with my numbers, but you never know I guess.
In terms of my EC's, they may be a bit cookie cutter, but I believe they are sufficient. Last cycle, I applied with 120+ hours of clinical volunteering for over 1.5 years, 50+ hours of shadowing in 4 specialties, probably around 100+ non clinical volunteering, a college tutor for over 1.5 years, worked part time most of college, included music, athletics (IM's, outdoors), and other hobbies on my AMCAS. Also had a SEM research position for one summer. Research is significantly lacking, I am aware of that, which didn't help me for this cycle.

I believe the real hook on my application is that I have totally unique experiences that span my entire life dealing with disease, mental illness, and living in a rural town. I discussed this aspect in my PS, and all of my interviews consisted of talking about this topic. So, I think that pulled a lot of weight for me as well.

Where I'm looking for advice is: have I done enough in this application cycle year to merit a competitive re-application?

Here are my improvements:
2 years total worth of clinical volunteering, 160+ hours, now train new volunteers and have a leadership role
80+ hours of shadowing in 5 different specialties
TA for 2 different courses for the past academic year, one being a lab course, additional leadership
Supervised 7 tutors and was promoted to Lead Tutor at my institution
New LOR's, one with connections to OHSU (IDK if that matters, just thought I'd mention it)
60+ additional non-clinical volunteer hours, including coaching 5th graders, reading to elementary school kids, judging a science fair, and assisting senior citizens
Searching like crazy for a clinical research position. I am aware a lack of research may have hurt me, so this is what I am pursuing in my gap year. Hopefully I can list a high amount of anticipated hours once I submit my AMCAS in June.

So, do you think considering how last cycle went for me, this is enough improvement to warrant a reapplicant? I believe that with an earlier submission and a much, much better school list, a revamping of my activities, essays, and PS, I hope I'll do well, but you never know...

My current plan is to reapply to MUSC, Creighton and OHSU, and choose 10-15 new schools to apply to that will have a fresh look at my application. I am avoiding DO for this cycle, because God forbid, if I am unsuccessful again, I want to save DO schools for the cycle MCAT would expire. Do you think this is a good plan, and I have made enough improvements to be a re-applicant at those 3 schools mentioned? Also, new school suggestions would be great too!

Thanks for the feedback, sorry for the length!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Beggars can't be choosy. You should have DO schools on your list this time around. Start with both westerns, PacNW and Touro-CA.

I strongly suggest that you add more service hours to those in greater need to yourself.

Work on your interview skills as well.

Oregonians have a >50% chance of snagging a II from OHS, so it's odd that you didn't get one. The lack of research might be the explanation, as 82% of acceptees have had research experience.

Beggars can't be choosy. You should have DO schools on your list this time around. Start with both westerns, PacNW and Touro-CA.

I strongly suggest that you add more service hours to those in greater need to yourself.

Work on your interview skills as well.

Oregonians have a >50% chance of snagging a II from OHS, so it's odd that you didn't get one. The lack of research might be the explanation, as 82% of acceptees have had research experience.
Thank you for the advice. I am well aware that I didn't exactly knock this past cycle out of the park, but it is an absolute goal of mine to attend an allopathic school, and I am willing to accept the consequences, both financially and emotionally, of trying to obtain this goal in the incoming cycle. I realize that may not be a popular opinion on this forum. I am not opposed to attending a DO school, it is just I am going to give it my all to become accepted at a MD school before I consider DO. I don't consider this past cycle as giving my all, especially as I mentioned the lateness of my application (due to waiting on MCAT scores) and the poor choice of schools.

With that being said, considering my application and what I have/will improve upon, do you have any recommendations for MD schools to apply to. Again, call me what you will, I would really appreciate any insight you may have into a school list and other recommendations on what I can improve upon before June 1st.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is the approach I took (with my Dad's help) and it works. I personally did not care about top 10 or anything like that, I just wanted to get into a US MD school (period).
Don't rely on the MSAR totally...(IMO-its crap).
1. Pick out schools (say 30 or more) that you have a genuine shot at (based on your metrics) and desire to go. For OOS pick schools that have say 20% or more OOS acceptance.
2. Go to every schools website and review what they are looking for in their candidates....after that call the admissions director and talk to them about your app. Tell them your metrics (GPA/MCAT) and ask them directly what they require. You would be surprised how much they are willing to help you.
There were schools that I thought I could apply to...but after talking with directors they told me outright (a) we don't accept from your state or b) you need religious affiliation, or c) you need community work such as overseas or the like or d)we only accept from neighboring states or e) we like candidates that are older or military service. This information narrowed my original list of 40 down to 14 schools that I had a decent shot at.
This is not easy by any means....its labor intensive...but it'll save you headache at the end. The information I gathered from this approach is not found in the MSAR.
(i.e. people apply to GWU or Georgetown or other school without a clue as to what they want in their candidates....most simply see ooh GPA/MCAT is within my range so let me throw in my app....unfortunately it doesn't work that way).
When you talk with admissions directors...be professional, be polite and crutious, and respect their time. Have your questions and info ready to discuss within say 5 min.
While there is no gurantee for anything.....this is the approach I took and it did work me....got me 4 II, 3WL and an immediate Acceptance to my top choice.
Every application to a given school needs to be custom tailored like a resume to a company.
Lastly with your stats...you will get in...just strategise your app to each school. Best of luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Apply to DO schools as @Goro recommended. Consider these schools for MD
Your state school
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
GW
Georgetown
Tulane
Penn State
any private schools that open in 2017 (Roseman, Henricopolis, Seton Hall etc.)
Of course you know that it is important to apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Reactions: 1 users