Need to add more schools: 3.0 GPA / 35R CA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bean Counter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you don't try you can't succeed right...

I know my GPA is terribly low for MD schools. I'm a non-trad and I shot my GPA to death at a CC literally 10 years ago (Lots of F's and W's!). Since then, I cleaned up and successfully transferred to and graduated from a UC with solid grades with a business major. I worked in Public Accounting for two years and earned a CPA license before deciding on medicine.

Since then I completed the pre-reqs for med school with all A's, took the MCAT, interned at a hospital for the past 9 months, shadowed doctors, and done everything right so my EC's are strong and I have great LOR's. I'm hoping at least one school is willing to look deeper into my low GPA and will give me a shot at an interview.

Here is my school list so far. I'm a CA resident so I'm applying to most of the CA schools to see what happens:

-UC San Diego
-Loma Linda University
-UC Davis
-UC Irvine
-UCLA
-Drexel
-Temple
-Jefferson
-Penn State
-University of Washington
-Boston University
-Virginia Commonwealth
-Oregon Health and Science University

For DO I'm going to apply to Western. My AACOMAS GPA is significantly higher because of class retakes so I think I have a good shot but I want to see if I can get accepted to an MD

Can anybody suggest any more schools to add to my list? I need to add some more OOS friendly schools

Members don't see this ad.

I know my GPA is terribly low for MD schools. I'm a non-trad and I shot my GPA to death at a CC literally 10 years ago (Lots of F's and W's!). Since then, I cleaned up and successfully transferred to and graduated from a UC with solid grades with a business major. I worked in Public Accounting for two years and earned a CPA license before deciding on medicine.

Since then I completed the pre-reqs for med school with all A's, took the MCAT, interned at a hospital for the past 9 months, shadowed doctors, and done everything right so my EC's are strong and I have great LOR's. I'm hoping at least one school is willing to look deeper into my low GPA and will give me a shot at an interview.

Here is my school list so far. I'm a CA resident so I'm applying to most of the CA schools to see what happens:

-UC San Diego
-Loma Linda University
-UC Davis
-UC Irvine
-UCLA
-Drexel
-Temple
-Jefferson
-Penn State
-Boston University
-Virginia Commonwealth

For DO I'm going to apply to Western. My AACOMAS GPA is significantly higher because of class retakes so I think I have a good shot but I want to see if I can get accepted to an MD

Can anybody suggest any more schools to add to my list? I need to add some more OOS friendly schools

Check out the MSAR. Some schools that come to mind are:

Tulane
EVMS
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Wright State

You mean that you're applying for next cycle, right? If I were you, I would be taking some upper division biology classes like genetics, molecular biology and try to bump up your gpa a bit.

Members don't see this ad :)
You mean that you're applying for next cycle, right? If I were you, I would be taking some upper division biology classes like genetics, molecular biology and try to bump up your gpa a bit.

No I am applying for the current cycle. I'm still enrolled on classes (anatomy and generics) and will be taking physiology, molecular and microbiology next semester but even with all A's my gpa isn't going to go up significantly. I've just got to deal with it.

Check out the MSAR. Some schools that come to mind are:

Tulane
EVMS
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Wright State

Thank you MedPR. I was looking into Tulane and Wright state as well. I'll check out the other three, although I've heard that Rush is hard to crack.

I've been through pretty much every single school on the MSAR but I know there's advice that can be had here that I can't find anywhere else

Congrats on your acceptances BTW!

No I am applying for the current cycle. I'm still enrolled on classes (anatomy and generics) and will be taking physiology, molecular and microbiology next semester but even with all A's my gpa isn't going to go up significantly. I've just got to deal with it.
Isn't it a little late? I think most applicants have submitted secondaries already and some have even completed their interviews. I'm sure you know this already, so I'm wondering what the strategy is here.

Isn't it a little late? I think most applicants have submitted secondaries already and some have even completed their interviews. I'm sure you know this already, so I'm wondering what the strategy is here.

It's definitely not too late. It's not early but it's not too late. Some people haven't had their primary verified yet, or even submitted. I wish I had been ready earlier but it's just not the case but I've been getting and completing secondaries pretty much as soon as I apply to a school so hopefully I can catch up.

Fair warning, a reapplicant and new applicant are viewed differently for adcoms.

Since you're dead set for this cycle, look for schools that aren't rolling admission. I already know 3 people who have been accepted this cycle.

Thank you MedPR. I was looking into Tulane and Wright state as well. I'll check out the other three, although I've heard that Rush is hard to crack.

I've been through pretty much every single school on the MSAR but I know there's advice that can be had here that I can't find anywhere else

Congrats on your acceptances BTW!

Take a look at my MDapps. The majority of schools on there (with some obvious exceptions) were chosen on the basis of my <3.30BCPM and 30-35 MCAT. For the most part I tried to apply to schools where my MCAT was close to 90% since my GPA is obviously in the 10-20% just about everywhere.

Fair warning, a reapplicant and new applicant are viewed differently for adcoms.

Since you're dead set for this cycle, look for schools that aren't rolling admission. I already know 3 people who have been accepted this cycle.

MD schools don't start until 10/15.. Unless you're talking about EDP? Or DO? In that case, while I congratulate your friends' acceptances, they are not relevant.

Take a look at my MDapps. The majority of schools on there (with some obvious exceptions) were chosen on the basis of my <3.30BCPM and 30-35 MCAT. For the most part I tried to apply to schools where my MCAT was close to 90% since my GPA is obviously in the 10-20% just about everywhere.

MD schools don't start until 10/15.. Unless you're talking about EDP? Or DO? In that case, while I congratulate your friends' acceptances, they are not relevant.

Thank you for clearing that up. I was starting to really doubt my decision to apply this year but I'm going to follow through. I looked at your schools on your MDapps and they are in line with some of the other schools I was thinking about applying so I'll add them to my list. Thanks so much for all your help

Well, trying is one thing, but magic thinking doesn't work.
Save your money and skip all of the all MD schools, because even with that stellar MCAT score, I don't think you'll be getting any interviews, especially to out-of-state state schools. But, if you're insistant, try Rosy Franklin, Creighton and NYMC

You're fine for DO, and chances for Western are great. Suggest adding TUCOM-CA and -NV, Western's sister school in OR, and Pacific NW in WA.

-UC San Diego
-Loma Linda University
-UC Davis
-UC Irvine
-UCLA
-Drexel
-Temple
-Jefferson
-Penn State
-Boston University
-Virginia Commonwealth

You're right, I meant interviews have already been conducted and the ones accepted were DO, my apologies.

I just read in most articles and suggestions for people in cases such as his to apply broadly and early to have a chance. I hope the best for him though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have similar stats and story to you. Failed courses 10 years prior, 4.0 gpa last 100+ hours, 3.0 GPA 30's mcat. I am a texas resident and applied this year to texas and OOS friendly schools with 1 invite to Texas A&M. I moved here also to use Texas fresh start which I will be applying with next application cycle if I don't get in. If you have a the time I would suggest moving here and gaining residency. I believe it helped me tremendously.

You're right, I meant interviews have already been conducted and the ones accepted were DO, my apologies.

I just read in most articles and suggestions for people in cases such as his to apply broadly and early to have a chance. I hope the best for him though.

Thanks. Certainly the only "strategy" for someone in my situation is to apply as early as possible and as broadly as possible. My fatal mistake was doubting myself after taking my MCAT and not completing the rest of my application as I had planned. Had I been successful in forgetting about the MCAt and completed the rest of my application while I was waiting for my score I would have been in a much better position. While I do hope that I haven't completely shut the door on my chances for this cycle, I do understand that I hurt my chances significantly.

I am fine with applying this year and seeing how it goes as long as it doesn't hurt my chances for reapplication next year. If being unsuccessful this year will hurt my chances for next year I will be seriously concerned.

Wayne is known to most heavily consider the last 20-30 hours of coursework. It would be a good choice for you. UConn also looks past a low early GPA.

Thanks! I'll definitely look into UConn. I added Wayne to my apps.

I have similar stats and story to you. Failed courses 10 years prior, 4.0 gpa last 100+ hours, 3.0 GPA 30's mcat. I am a texas resident and applied this year to texas and OOS friendly schools with 1 invite to Texas A&M. I moved here also to use Texas fresh start which I will be applying with next application cycle if I don't get in. If you have a the time I would suggest moving here and gaining residency. I believe it helped me tremendously.

Moving isn't really an option for me at this point. I have a steady job and my wife is working as a PA so we have roots that are strong enough to keep us grounded until I get accepted. Then I'm willing to go anywhere. Good luck with your apps! I wish you the best

I think the key is to apply early and broadly especially with slight low stats. Even though I admit it's not too late still I feel like this cycle might not be as productive as you may think.

I think the key is to apply early and broadly especially with slight low stats. Even though I admit it's not too late still I feel like this cycle might not be as productive as you may think.

I absolutely understand, especially after looking at the school specific threads for the schools I'm completing secondaries for I see how much earlier others have submitted their applications. The best option in my mind is to give forth the best effort I can at this point and continue to take classes, volunteer, do research, and shadow. If things don't pan out I will make sure I'm a better applicant next year and apply as soon as applications open. If they do, I don't have to worry about it...

we have similar stats, I had a lower GPA (3.3 BCPM) but decent MCAT (34Q). I think your list looks good, apply as broadly as you can. good luck!

I absolutely understand, especially after looking at the school specific threads for the schools I'm completing secondaries for I see how much earlier others have submitted their applications. The best option in my mind is to give forth the best effort I can at this point and continue to take classes, volunteer, do research, and shadow. If things don't pan out I will make sure I'm a better applicant next year and apply as soon as applications open. If they do, I don't have to worry about it...

I like your attitude! Go for it! :thumbup:

Thanks. Certainly the only "strategy" for someone in my situation is to apply as early as possible and as broadly as possible. My fatal mistake was doubting myself after taking my MCAT and not completing the rest of my application as I had planned. Had I been successful in forgetting about the MCAt and completed the rest of my application while I was waiting for my score I would have been in a much better position. While I do hope that I haven't completely shut the door on my chances for this cycle, I do understand that I hurt my chances significantly.

I am fine with applying this year and seeing how it goes as long as it doesn't hurt my chances for reapplication next year. If being unsuccessful this year will hurt my chances for next year I will be seriously concerned.

Only strategy now is to apply broadly and hopefully have a very compelling PS. As long as you plan on strengthening your app next year (more classes, volunteering, shadowing, etc) than go for it! As said, only thing that will limit you now then would be money. Also, don't let that score expire!

Seems like you'll wait one more cycle before going DO and that sounds like a good idea. Try taking more, difficult classes through this year and if no MD acceptances, apply broadly for both MD and DO and you'll be fine.

Yeah go for it! You have a shot especially if you have an upward trend. :thumbup: