need your advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sooki1205

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first thread. My situation is little bit complicated. So I need your help.

Here is my background.

I got my bachelor degree in material engineering 15years ago in Asia.
GPA is 3.20.

Also I got associated degree in nursing last year in US.
GPA is 3.46.

Here's my question.

If I take Bachelor degree in nursing(BSN), when I apply med school, can I submit my GPA in US only?
(In this case I would take RN to BSN course and study very hard to get better GPA.)

Or though I have BSN in us, do I still have to submit my GPA in Asia too? (In this case, I would take postbac course immediately instead taking RN to BSN course)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,

This is my first thread. My situation is little bit complicated. So I need your help.

Here is my background.

I got my bachelor degree in material engineering 15years ago in Asia.
GPA is 3.20.

Also I got associated degree in nursing last year in US.
GPA is 3.46.

Here's my question.

If I take Bachelor degree in nursing(BSN), when I apply med school, can I submit my GPA in US only?
(In this case I would take RN to BSN course and study very hard to get better GPA.)

Or though I have BSN in us, do I still have to submit my GPA in Asia too? (In this case, I would take postbac course immediately instead taking RN to BSN course)

Any advice would be appreciated.

I would really advise you to go to a 4 year college in the US and get a bachelor's degree there or take post-bac courses in the US. Although medical schools have differing admission policy. Applicants who attended and received a bachelor's degree from a foreign country seem to be at a disadvantage when applying to medical school.

Part of the problem is that foreign colleges are not well recognized within the US educational system (the schools are unaccredited). Another problem is that medical schools want all the pre-requisite classes that you take to be in English. If you attended and graduated from a foreign medical school, you will face an uphill battle. See if you can transfer your BSN credits to a 4 year college and take a few more pre-requisite classes to get your Bachelor's degree.

And yes, you do have to submit all of your transcripts from the US and from Asia although if the school that you attended in Asia is unaccredited or isn't in the database, it may not be counted towards your final GPA (which would be a good thing because your 3.2 is really below the average of accepted medical school students).

Be aware that your BSN will not include pre-med courses. You need to take those separately. You also need to keep in mind that being a nurse and being a doctor are very different things. AdComms will want to know why the switch.

Thank you for your replies. You guys helped me alot. I'm going to get my BSN first. Thank you again.