Neuro People: Choroid Plexus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WisNeuro

Board Certified in Clinical Neuropsychology
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Neuro folks, anyone have any literature on hand concerning level of calcification of the choroid plexus, and/or habenular classifications? Specifically, incidence at certain ages?

Members don't see this ad.

The big problem with this literature, is that the incidence appears to be dependent on population. Current hypothesis is diet may contribute. To make matters worse, the subject seems to be predominantly studied in non-US hospitals.

In world populations, choroid plexus is common with reports going from 15-69% . Habenula calcifications range from 15%-32% .

There's an Iranian based study with distributions by age. I think this is it:

Daghighi, M. H., Rezaei, V., Zarrintan, S., & Pourfathi, H. (2007). Intracranial physiological calcifications in adults on computed tomography in Tabriz, Iran. Folia Morphol (Warsz), 66(2), 115-119.

Yeah, I've been scouring, but can't find much beyond "calcification is relatively common in individuals over the age of 40." But, they all cite fairly small samples. Just wondering if anyone had something good on this, or if I just have to go on case reports and very small studies.

Members don't see this ad :)
keep in mind that neuroimaging studies are going to have small n's. The stats get weird because of the number of voxels.

keep in mind that neuroimaging studies are going to have small n's. The stats get weird because of the number of voxels.

Oh, that I know. I worked on neuroimaging studies for about 3 years back in the day. I was looking for anything epidemiological, or even something that tried to quantify the extent of calcification. Maybe something akin to the Evans ratio in NPH. I suspect it's all just part of the radiological norm of commenting on things without worrying about how to quantify it at all. The range of atrophy that I have seen called "mild" is fairly astounding.