Neurobiology of Disease

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiddynamite914

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am having trouble choosing between two courses. The two courses are Neurobiology of Disease and Anthropology of Biomedicine.

I wanted to take Anthro of Biomedicine because it is being taught by a professor I had freshman year for a Cultural Anthropology course. She was a great professor. Also, I have taken many Neurobiology courses and am very strong in Neurobiology, so this course will change up the flow a bit. The class also fits really well into the schedule. Course also has no exams which is a plus.

Neurobiology of Disease seems pretty cool to me. The syllabus mentioned Schizophrenia and other disorders that are very interesting to me.

Has anyone taken one of these courses or something similar? Please let me know.

PS: I don't exactly know what Anthropology of Reproduction is.

Members don't see this ad.

I took a class that was essentially anthropology of biomedicine and I enjoyed it and many of my other courses were neuroscience related. Do you want to learn about different patterns of thought about health and medicine in a social and anthropological context or do you want to learn about pathology of the central nervous system? They're very different, both likely to be interesting, and both are non-essential for medical school (you'll learn relevant parts of both later).

I took a class that was essentially anthropology of biomedicine and I enjoyed it and many of my other courses were neuroscience related. Do you want to learn about different patterns of thought about health and medicine in a social and anthropological context or do you want to learn about pathology of the central nervous system? They're very different, both likely to be interesting, and both are non-essential for medical school (you'll learn relevant parts of both later).

Probably pathologies of the CNS. However, the anthropology of Biomedicine also seems very interesting. Still having trouble understanding what kinds of specific material will be covered in the course, since I never dealt with a class like it. Do you know any online resources that can help enable me to grasp a better understanding of the subject?

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably pathologies of the CNS. However, the anthropology of Biomedicine also seems very interesting. Still having trouble understanding what kinds of specific material will be covered in the course, since I never dealt with a class like it. Do you know any online resources that can help enable me to grasp a better understanding of the subject?

Stuff we covered:

• Medicine outside the realm of western biomedicine (so shamanism, ritualism, etc)
  • International medical aid
  • Ideas of the body
  • Objects within medicine
  • Pharmaceutical perception
  • Perceptions and stigma of cancer
  • Drug addiction and society
  • Neuroscience and culture
  • Organ trafficking
  • Access to health
Just went through my syllabus

Stuff we covered:

• Medicine outside the realm of western biomedicine (so shamanism, ritualism, etc)
  • International medical aid
  • Ideas of the body
  • Objects within medicine
  • Pharmaceutical perception
  • Perceptions and stigma of cancer
  • Drug addiction and society
  • Neuroscience and culture
  • Organ trafficking
  • Access to health
Just went through my syllabus

Did you find this course more interesting compared to studying CNS pathologies?

Did you find this course more interesting compared to studying CNS pathologies?

I mean... they're different so it's hard to compare. I enjoyed this course, but I also really enjoy learning about CNS pathology.

Which do YOU find more interesting?

Also keep in mind you can learn about things you're interested in on your own time too. Which do you need a more structured environment for? Which do you want to take tests or write papers on?

I mean... they're different so it's hard to compare. I enjoyed this course, but I also really enjoy learning about CNS pathology.

Which do YOU find more interesting?

Also keep in mind you can learn about things you're interested in on your own time too. Which do you need a more structured environment for? Which do you want to take tests or write papers on?

I see. Most of the points you have mentioned point at the Neurobiology of Disease course. However, I am curious, in regards to med school application and how it will be viewed by admission officers- I am taking 2 other neuro courses (Systems neuroscience and Cognitive Neuroscience, along with Pharmacology II). So if i take on another neurobiology course won't they view me as an one dimensional applicant due to taking 3 neuro courses in one semester? Thanks.

I see. Most of the points you have mentioned point at the Neurobiology of Disease course. However, I am curious, in regards to med school application and how it will be viewed by admission officers- I am taking 2 other neuro courses (Systems neuroscience and Cognitive Neuroscience, along with Pharmacology II). So if i take on another neurobiology course won't they view me as an one dimensional applicant due to taking 3 neuro courses in one semester? Thanks.

They will care 0