Neurophysiology Intra-Operative Monitoring Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroDocDO

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about a fellowship in this area of neurology. Can anybody tell me about the lifestyle and salary as well as where are the programs in the country that offer this training.

Members don't see this ad.

There are not any programs in the country that have such a fellowship at this time ( and I doubt any time soon). Most neurologists with training in neurophysiology are performing/"reading" these studies. The actual monitoring is being done by techs that do have formal training to give feedback to the surgeons during the procedure.

Unfortunately, the role of the Neurologist in the US is becoming "interpreting and signing off on the supervision of the study"

Case Western epilepsy program has intra-operative monitoring & cortical mapping elements to training. You can elect to do a second year in intraoperative monitoring if the faculty agrees to provide the funds.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is an interesting area of work to be sure...

As the above individuals have posted, there isn't a specific fellowship in this area, but many prominent institutions across the country offer electives and/or focus in this area as adjunct education to an Epilepsy or Neurophysiology fellowship. I've frequently (albeit anecdotally) found intra-operative monitoring offered in lieu of polysomnography elective time whilst electronically surfing NP fellowhip programs. So you can certainly find training in this area if you wish.

I know of no jobs that are pure intra-operative EEG monitoring, though I know of one pediatric neurology attending at a flagship program who does a huge amount of intra-operative monitoring as supplement to her pre- and post-surgical epilepsy practice. "Huge amount" is a relative term, in that the vast percentage of her time is still devoted to her outpatient clinic. Also, the pediatric epilepsy surgery program that she serves is quite a large one.

Along the same lines, other EEG work that you might find interesting includes continuous/video studies from EMUs and ICUs.

Check out the different websites from different Neurology programs for more information. Good luck!

As the above individuals have posted, there isn't a specific fellowship in this area...

On the interview trail, I've heard of at three graduating residents going on to intra-op monitoring fellowships...

On the interview trail, I've heard of at three graduating residents going on to intra-op monitoring fellowships...

I could certainly be wrong. However, on the AAN website, I see no listing for a formal and specific intra-operative monitoring fellowship.

Perhaps the people you heard about were intending to do heavy emphasis on this in an NP or Epilepsy fellowship, or were interested in completing an entire second year of research and intra-operative monitoring as an add-on to a prelim first year in NP or Epilepsy? Did anyone specifically state where these fellowships would be completed?

There is an opening for an intra-operative monitoring phsyician in the latest issue of AAN News on page 23 under the Southeastern section for any who might be interested!

UCLA has a clinical neurophysiology felllowship with Dr Nuwer.
USC may have a non-ACGME fellowship with Dr Gonzalez.

These are just the local ones I know of.
They exist and are hidden in programs with traditional Clinical Neurophysiology Fellowships.
You just have to find the right program director.

best of luck
cliff

Hmmm... I did intraoperative monitoring for 3 years and left it to go to medical school. I can tell you, as a tech, the lifestyle is mediocre and the job is pretty boring. I couldn't imagine going back to that job after going through school and residency.

hi
i will be taking Board certification exams for amercian board of clinical neurology . if any one can advice regarding preperation for this exams . any MCQs or other resources .

i am appearing in Clinical Neurophysiology boards . any advice regarding MCqs and other resourses for studying .

There are some IOM fellowships. University of California, San Francisco Medical Center has one. Cleveland Clinic has one. I have done remote IOM interpretation for 6 years. It is an interesting job. I like it for several reasons. The hours are good. When I am off work I am off work. I have weekends like regular people. I don't work 24 hours without sleep. The salary is competitive as are the benefits. I don't have a lot of paperwork. It is challenging work but not overwhelming. It is important work, we do a service for patients that can not otherwise be obtained. Although there is no direct patient contact for me I still have the gratification of patient's who wake up well, moving all their limbs. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Where did you do your training?

There are some IOM fellowships. University of California, San Francisco Medical Center has one. Cleveland Clinic has one. I have done remote IOM interpretation for 6 years. It is an interesting job. I like it for several reasons. The hours are good. When I am off work I am off work. I have weekends like regular people. I don't work 24 hours without sleep. The salary is competitive as are the benefits. I don't have a lot of paperwork. It is challenging work but not overwhelming. It is important work, we do a service for patients that can not otherwise be obtained. Although there is no direct patient contact for me I still have the gratification of patient's who wake up well, moving all their limbs. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask.

Other strong programs with excellent IOM experiences:
Johns Hopkins
Cornell

There are many good programs where one can pursue the 2 yrs EEG/epilepsy with added IOM+intraop brain mapping. Traditionally Johns Hopkins have been strong in Epilepsy training+brain mapping with added research component. I have heard mixed experiences about MGH/Harvard program. Maybe someone can give more insight? Cleveland Clinic is a very very busy program. So as NYU and Columbia.

I am a neurologist and did a neurophysiology fellowship in 1989-1991. IONM was not offered in my fellowship but I am trained in Evoked Potentials, EEGs, EMGs. I would like to do remote IONM from home but don't know how to get the experience and training. Would you have any suggestions?

I am a neurologist and did a neurophysiology fellowship in 1989-1991. IONM was not offered in my fellowship but I am trained in Evoked Potentials, EEGs, EMGs. I would like to do remote IONM from home but don't know how to get the experience and training. Would you have any suggestions?

You can do a fellowship and get in that way. Or you can apply to businesses and see if they will take you and train you. It's hit or miss who is hiring and most want you to have some IOM experience now. Mainly because learning it from scratch takes months. But if you are determined to do it then apply to some places. Depending on where you go you'll need a portfolio of state licences too.