new DO schools??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anxietypeaker

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone. I heard there are new DO schools opening up?
Anyone have any links that talk about them?

Also, what does this mean? Pros and cons...like will residencies be more competitive? links to original sources would be good.

Members don't see this ad.

anxietypeaker said:

Also, what does this mean? Pros and cons...like will residencies be more competitive? links to original sources would be good.

I think your best bet is to do a search on the allopathic forums. You will find a good number of posts on this subject and each should have links to additional sources.

anxietypeaker said:

frankly I feel that it is ridiculous that of all places, Lincoln Memorial University in Harrogate, TN is planning on opening a DO school. I am originally from close to that school, and I can tell you that if the academic quality of the rest of that school will be reflected in the SOM to be built there, it will be a poor college of medicine.

I also wonder why they want to have another med school in that area. Pikeville, WVSOM, and ETSU (although this one is allo) all already state that they wish to serve the medical needs of Appalachia. Does building yet another medical school in the area equate a solution to the lack of medical professionals in rural Appalachia?

Members don't see this ad :)
quantummechanic said:
I can tell you that if the academic quality of the rest of that school will be reflected in the SOM to be built there, it will be a poor college of medicine.

And you attended that school what year?

Does the AOA just let anyone build a school? :confused:

medhacker said:
And you attended that school what year?

didn't attend, just knew a couple of friends I went to high school with that went onto LMU

quantummechanic said:
didn't attend, just knew a couple of friends I went to high school with that went onto LMU

Exactly...may we say anecdotal?

quantummechanic said:
Pikeville, WVSOM, and ETSU (although this one is allo) all already state that they wish to serve the medical needs of Appalachia. Does building yet another medical school in the area equate a solution to the lack of medical professionals in rural Appalachia?

Don't forget VCOM, in Blacksburg, whose purpose states they want to develop primary care physicians "to serve the rural and medically underserved areas of the Commonwealth of Virginia, North Carolina, and the Appalachian region."

anxietypeaker said:

Hi! i know that there will be a new school, Rocky Vista University-COM, which is in Colorado opening to students seeking entry in Fall 2008. 50% of those students will be from Colorado. Here is the website:
http://www.do-online.osteotech.org/blog/index.php?itemid=1505

Also, The Pacific Northwest University of Health Science is set to open in 2007 in the state of Washington. here is the link:
http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/stories/2005/04/11/daily27.html

hope it helps!

touro in harlem is also opening.

medhacker said:
Exactly...may we say anecdotal?

yeah I guess the school's ranking as a 4th tier school (the lowest tier btw) under US News is also anecdotal. :rolleyes:

trust me, the reputation of LMU in east TN is not very high, think whatever you will

scpod said:
Don't forget VCOM, in Blacksburg, whose purpose states they want to develop primary care physicians "to serve the rural and medically underserved areas of the Commonwealth of Virginia, North Carolina, and the Appalachian region."

Thank you for pointing that out, I forgot about VCOM (is it really affiliated with VA tech or not?). There are plenty of med schools (DO and MD) in that area that serve rural Appalachia. It really begs the question, what does opening yet another one at LMU really bring to the table? Appalachia needs doctors, but does it need an additional med school? I think that the solution of more medical schools is ignoring the true problem here.

quantummechanic said:
Thank you for pointing that out, I forgot about VCOM (is it really affiliated with VA tech or not?). There are plenty of med schools (DO and MD) in that area that serve rural Appalachia.

OK, they have a bus that runs from the main VA Tech campus to VCOM. You can use all the VA Tech facilities (cafeterias, libraries, bookstore, etc.). Plus, you can get football tickets just likee the other VA Tech students. I'd say that affiliation is a pretty good way to put it.

As for the other question...is there a need for another rural Appalachian school? I's say that there is more of a need in the Pacific NW and in the rural South than the Appalachian at this point. Just my opinion :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Here is another:
ATSU COM-Mesa Arizona
A.T. Still University College of Osteopathic Medicine
5850 E. Still Circle
Mesa, AZ 85206
(480) 219-6000

quantummechanic said:
yeah I guess the school's ranking as a 4th tier school (the lowest tier btw) under US News is also anecdotal. :rolleyes:

trust me, the reputation of LMU in east TN is not very high, think whatever you will

Usnews?

No you didn't go there!

LOL

I've seriously lost track. Can someone count up all the new schools, list them, and tell me how many there will be total.

medhacker said:
Usnews?

No you didn't go there!

LOL

yeah usnews is for suckas!!!!!!!!!!

RAMPA said:
yeah usnews is for suckas!!!!!!!!!!

So, what is the theory behind where they pick the locations for Med Schools?

Yakima?
Where in Colorado

Really, do they just take out some chicken entrails, spread them over a map of the continental united states and rub them around with a stick until some sign manifests?

Here in the "lovely" potato state of Idaho (ug!) we have 0 Med Schools, and are the only state in the Northwest w/o. Washington and Colorado already each have an allopathic school. And, Boise's population totally beats out that of Yakima. Come on people just listen to the name, "Yakima!" Do you really want to tell someone you went to school in Yakima? Or, would you prefer to tell them that you attended an institution in the metropolis-oh I'm using the word-of Boise? Just listen to the word, the way it smoothly slides off of the tongue with its smooth, voiceless, snake-like s.

Of course I should mention that my state isn't exactly any kind of cultural or intellectual mecca. As a matter of fact, Idaho came in 48th for lowest IQ scores-only Utah and Mississippi beat them for the bottom 2 rungs! I'm sorry if any Utahians or Mississipinites are offended:)

If I remember correctly, there will be 7 new D.O. schools opening in the next decade. That was what Roger Corbman, Director of Admissions at Touro-NV said when he came to Berkeley last week.

GrapeApe said:

Yakima?
Where in Colorado

Really, do they just take out some chicken entrails, spread them over a map of the continental united states and rub them around with a stick until some sign manifests?

Here in the "lovely" potato state of Idaho (ug!) we have 0 Med Schools, and are the only state in the Northwest w/o. Washington and Colorado already each have an allopathic school. And, Boise's population totally beats out that of Yakima. Come on people just listen to the name, "Yakima!" Do you really want to tell someone you went to school in Yakima? Or, would you prefer to tell them that you attended an institution in the metropolis-oh I'm using the word-of Boise? Just listen to the word, the way it smoothly slides off of the tongue with its smooth, voiceless, snake-like s.

Of course I should mention that my state isn't exactly any kind of cultural or intellectual mecca. As a matter of fact, Idaho came in 48th for lowest IQ scores-only Utah and Mississippi beat them for the bottom 2 rungs! I'm sorry if any Utahians or Mississipinites are offended:)

Ya does teh AOA have some sorta of strategy in picking the locations?

Why don't they open new D.O. schools at major universities that lack a M.D. school instead of opening at a school that no one has ever heard about? e.g. Lincoln Memorial University.

anxietypeaker said:

I am not from Utah- but I hear that Utah produces more medical student per capita than any other state. Why isnt there a DO school going in there- They only have one- and the requirements are insane. They require more(not high or low) but more than any school in the nation.

dtn3t said:
I've seriously lost track. Can someone count up all the new schools, list them, and tell me how many there will be total.

This is from a thread in the osteo forum:
Plinko said:
Apparently, within the next five years there are going to be 32 DO schools in the US--this includes the so-called branch campuses of PCOM, Touro, etc.

1. ATSU
2. AZCOM
3. CCOM
4. DMU-COM
5. KCUMB
6. LECOM
7. LECOM -B
8. MSUCOM
9. NSUCOM
10. NYCOM
11. OSUCOM
12. OUCOM
13. PCOM
14. PCOM-GA
15. PCSOM
16. TUCOM-MI
17. TUCOM- NV
18. UMDNJ
17.UNECOM
18. TCOM
19. VCOM
20. COMP
21. WVSOM
-------------
22. ATSU - Phoenix, AZ
23. LMU - Harrogate, TN
24. Touro? - Harlem, NY
25. Rocky Vista University COM - Denver, CO
26. Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences - Yakima, WA
27.?
28.?
29.?
30.?
31.?
32.?

Have I missed any?

bodymechanic said:
This is from a thread in the osteo forum:

1. ATSU
2. AZCOM
3. CCOM
4. DMU-COM
5. KCUMB
6. LECOM
7. LECOM -B
8. MSUCOM
9. NSUCOM
10. NYCOM
11. OSUCOM
12. OUCOM
13. PCOM
14. PCOM-GA
15. PCSOM
16. TUCOM-MI
17. TUCOM- NV
18. UMDNJ
17.UNECOM
18. TCOM
19. VCOM
20. COMP
21. WVSOM
-------------
22. ATSU - Phoenix, AZ
23. LMU - Harrogate, TN
24. Touro? - Harlem, NY
25. Rocky Vista University COM - Denver, CO
26. Pacific Northwest University of Health Sciences - Yakima, WA
27.?
28.?
29.?
30.?
31.?
32.?

Have I missed any?

Wow 32 is a whole lot, especially since most DO schools take double to triple the class size as most MD schools. There are gonna be many many DOs in the future. :thumbup:

Anyone have any info on the Touro School in Harlem?
When are they opening?
So far, in NY Touro has a PA school and a Law School
Along with the DO school in Cali, are there any other schools?

I wonder if the Quality is being comprimised by Quantity???!!?? :confused:

Robert Morris University is going to open a DO school in 2008. I'm sure it can be google searched for news articles and information.

FlyDoc said:
Anyone have any info on the Touro School in Harlem?
When are they opening?
So far, in NY Touro has a PA school and a Law School
Along with the DO school in Cali, are there any other schools?

I wonder if the Quality is being comprimised by Quantity???!!?? :confused:

as far as touro in harlem goes, it's a pretty wierd situation. i spoke to someone from the school, and they actually sent me a pamphlet about the school, etc. it is supposed to be opening up for fall 2007. the wierd thing about it though, is that they will not be accepting any applications until around November of this year. any other word, and i'll post it up here.

GrapeApe said:

Yakima?
Where in Colorado

Sorry to say it- did you know that Utah is the number one producers of Medicl Students in the United States. There are more Utah Medical students and any other states. They might have low IQ's but those Mormons are doing something right.

I just found the information- utah is the number one producer of Medical students- YOu say they have low IQ's but they are doing something right- Obviously they arnt too dumb

Ausmil said:
I just found the information- utah is the number one producer of Medical students- YOu say they have low IQ's but they are doing something right- Obviously they arnt too dumb

If I had two wives I could produce a lot of medical students too.

Ausmil said:

You have a link for that? I would have thought New York or California by their population (and oh yeah, high % of Indians and Chinese :D).

NonTradMed said:
You have a link for that? I would have thought New York or California by their population (and oh yeah, high % of Indians and Chinese :D).

There are a lot of indian docs

November? How does that work? I mean, I guess most other schools will either only be in the middle or just getting started on their interview process, but that seems weird. Good for August MCATers. So, if I were to call Touro and ask for a pamphlet, could I get one? And, would I call the parent university or the medical school in CA?

Thanks!

ny skindoc said:
It will be interesting to see which hospitals Touro will train at.There will no doubt be competition between Touro and NYCOM for the better applicants in the NY area.

But would people really want to move to harlem?

Are you kidding? The campus will be on 125th street, which is ridiculously close to the Upper West side, and very near to where Columbia is. You could very easily live in the upper west eighties, if you wanted, which would be fabulous.

rgerwin said:
Are you kidding? The campus will be on 125th street, which is ridiculously close to the Upper West side, and very near to where Columbia is. You could very easily live in the upper west eighties, if you wanted, which would be fabulous.

How open would columbia be to having DOs rotate through?

Good question. I would imagine you could easily do an elective rotation. I believe I read that the Touro will share alot of the rotation sites with NYCOM, but don't quote me.

NRAI2001 said:
But would people really want to move to harlem?

Believe it or not Harlem has been cleaned up significantly from before Guiliani was in office.

Also a good point. It's definitely becoming a more affordable option.

Just to repeat my earlier question, how will the November app thing work?

Ausmil said:

:laugh: wtf

Those of you asking why the schools are opening in the locations they are, and not attached to good universities - in case you haven't found out yet, osteopathic education is, first and foremost, a financial endeavor. I believe the school in CO is the first to actually call itself "for-profit". Get ready for osteopathic schools to be viewed even lower than caribbean.