New Medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjwoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the new medical schools which I may have missed in the MSAR?

Members don't see this ad.

What are the new medical schools which I may have missed in the MSAR?

Just look through the MSAR for the schools that have no data available for their average mcat and GPAs.

i only have the 2010-2011 edition =(

Members don't see this ad :)
Since I took time to look at your mdapps and your scores are close to what I'm expecting I'll give you both an evaluation as well as what new schools are coming out.

First, what you didn't ask for, the evaluation:
IMPOSSIBLE: U of AZ (while they take out a few OOS now, they numbers they suggest OOS have are significantly higher than your stats). I had a long talk with them as my gf and I would like to go there together once we get married. They said I didn't have a realistic shot with a 3.6 (3.5) BPCM and 30 MCAT as an OOS applicant.
FAR REACH: Cornell, NYU, SUNY schools (not very OOS friendly... my gf goes to SUNY Upstate and I had a talk with their admissions), UCLA, UCSD, UCSF
REACH: UVM, Emory, Mount Sinani, OHSU, Albert Einstein, UC-Davis, UCI-Irvine, Loyola (strong preference for IL residents... more than half the class), USC, Rochester
GOOD: BU, Creighton, Drexel, GWU, Jefferson, NYMC, PSU, RFU, Rush, UIC,Tufts, SLU, U of Miami, UMDNJ, VCU, Tulane, Temple, MCW, G-town, Toledo

Now what you asked for. New schools opening their doors for this upcoming cycle include: Oakland U, Florida Atlantic U, Hofstra (those are the M.D. programs).

i only have the 2010-2011 edition =(

mspeedwagon, Thanks for that eval and answering my question.

With that said, by looking at my numbers and the amount of schools im applying, do you think any of these schools are worth applying to?

Since I took time to look at your mdapps and your scores are close to what I'm expecting I'll give you both an evaluation as well as what new schools are coming out.

First, what you didn't ask for, the evaluation:
IMPOSSIBLE: U of AZ (while they take out a few OOS now, they numbers they suggest OOS have are significantly higher than your stats). I had a long talk with them as my gf and I would like to go there together once we get married. They said I didn't have a realistic shot with a 3.6 (3.5) BPCM and 30 MCAT as an OOS applicant.
FAR REACH: Cornell, NYU, SUNY schools (not very OOS friendly... my gf goes to SUNY Upstate and I had a talk with their admissions), UCLA, UCSD, UCSF
REACH: UVM, Emory, Mount Sinani, OHSU, Albert Einstein, UC-Davis, UCI-Irvine, Loyola (strong preference for IL residents... more than half the class), USC, Rochester
GOOD: BU, Creighton, Drexel, GWU, Jefferson, NYMC, PSU, RFU, Rush, UIC,Tufts, SLU, U of Miami, UMDNJ, VCU, Tulane, Temple, MCW, G-town, Toledo

Now what you asked for. New schools opening their doors for this upcoming cycle include: Oakland U, Florida Atlantic U, Hofstra (those are the M.D. programs).

You mean the new schools... I don't think so. Do you have a geographic preference? In your shoes, I would not apply to any of the new schools. I think you have a good list.

mspeedwagon, Thanks for that eval and answering my question.

With that said, by looking at my numbers and the amount of schools im applying, do you think any of these schools are worth applying to?

It says on the cover of the MSAR what new schools there are.

my geographic preferences are CA or NY. But I have already applied to all the schools listed on my MDapp, I'm just wondering if I should add any of those new schools.

Consider Hofstra since it's in your geographic preference area. In your shoes though, I would not apply to any new schools. I'll be following your mdapps closely so please remember to update it. I'll be applying a somewhat similar list next year (though it will depend on where my gf gets her residency somewhat).

my geographic preferences are CA or NY. But I have already applied to all the schools listed on my MDapp, I'm just wondering if I should add any of those new schools.

Well, the only new school that's opening up in either of those two states is Hofstra. I'm not sure if they're accepting applicants this cycle though.

Great. Sounds good. I'll probably leave my list as is, thanks for the advice.

Hofstra is accepting this year.