New mom considering optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hollyhime

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am a COA (certified ophthalmic assistant), but am currently home with my new son! I love everything about the field of ophthalmology and spend a good amount of free time researching and watching surgerys on youtube. I would love to be an optometrist, but i dont know how much time i have to commit to schooling and the career itself. I am very dedicated to my family and i was wondering if any of you are optometrists who are parents or are parents in optometry school? Do you feel that you have to sacrifice too much time with your family? Is it doable as a new mom? I dont want to miss out on any milestones...

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I am a COA (certified ophthalmic assistant), but am currently home with my new son! I love everything about the field of ophthalmology and spend a good amount of free time researching and watching surgerys on youtube. I would love to be an optometrist, but i dont know how much time i have to commit to schooling and the career itself. I am very dedicated to my family and i was wondering if any of you are optometrists who are parents or are parents in optometry school? Do you feel that you have to sacrifice too much time with your family? Is it doable as a new mom? I dont want to miss out on any milestones...

I would not advise going into optometry to anyone. I love my job, work as a GS-15 (unusually high grade for an opto) for Federal Government. Graduated from top school, completed Residency, Fellowship and am a Fellow in American Academy of Optometry. Despite this, I make less than many RNs. I make about 1/3 to 1/4 of what a dentist makes. The government knows what our average civilian pay is, and this is reflected in our pay scale. Most people I went to school with have left the field entirely. The field is dead. Too many schools. Only the United States and Canada even recognize Optometry as a profession. Everywhere else, it is a glorified optician. A few jobs in the Middle East ("Wanted: Optometrist. Must be female under 30. Send photo."). Historically, most of our income was derived from the optical end. Now people go on line or to superstores for glasses or contacts. While in private practice, I paid more on shipping costs for uncut lenses than an entire online lens/frame package. People will take up HOURS of your staffs time, only to buy frame online. Sometimes they even have the nerve to ask for frame info, PD and set height before leaving. Many online companies buy frames from Docs going out of business (for approx. 10% of original cost) So when people see an on line retailer asking 1/4 your price, they just assume you are ripping them off. Insurance was the final death blow. $35-$65/exam. Sure, you can always bill through medical insurance. But there is not that much pathology in the private sector. You are going to have to commit massive insurance fraud to pay off that OCT, pachymeter, visual field machine and retinal camera. Over the last 25 years, everyone I have ever known in private practice who makes over $100 G/ year either works 7 days/week , commits outrageous insurance fraud or uses hard sell tactics. i.e.: telling a pt that if he did not fill his +0.25 -0.25 x 180 rx he would probably go blind. Or guilting a low income single mother that her 5 year old will suffer long term vision problems by not filling a +1.00 ou rx, with AR coating. Private practice is tough if you have any morals. I love working for the VA. I handle more Path in one day than I would see in an entire year in the private sector. But despite handling end-stage glaucoma, Proliferative diabetic retinopathy, wet ARMD I still make less than many healthcare professionals with a BS. For my entire working career, my BFF with a 3 year RN degree made Much more. No triple overtime for Optos. No overtime for working weekends- which is likely. Rarely any benefits. Don't even think of buying a practice. I know people who are still paying off a failed practice 10 years after closing. including paying unemployment insurance premiums for your former employees a year after you close. I had to pay unemployment insurance on an employee who quit after I caught him stealing! Seriously, private practice is a nightmare.
I would only rec. optometry for someone planning on joining military after completing a pathology residency.

Holly- to answer your question directly, I know a few woman who got through optom school with young children. But again, most ended up leaving the profession. Child care cost more than they got paid. When my son was young, I worked part time , but after child care + malpractice insurance + license + required continuing Ed, it was a financial break even.