New Proton Accelerators?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Palex80

RAD ON
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody

I listened to an interesting presentation from a Tomotherapy representative about things to come from the company.
Among the new technologies that Tomotherapy is going to built to its new machines in the next couple years (variable couch speed and field width) he also presented a futute project which (if it works) would probably be a major revolution in the way we treat patients.

If I get this right, engineers are currently working on a new type of particle accelerator, which could be used to accelerate protons with limited infrastructure necessary. This technology may very well become available within this decade and will probably be quite cost effective.
Check it out on your own:
http://www.cpac.pro/index.html

If this works out, it will be fun to see what the reactions will be from those, who are currently investing hundreds of millions of dollars to build high-volume proton centers with today's technology.

Members don't see this ad.

So far the only other company to try to manufacture "cheaper" protons (Still River Systems) has yet to create a working model. Unit #1 at WashU is more than a year behind schedule at this point.

It will be interesting to see how other companies fare.

Seriously, what is going on at Still River? They did a presentation in our department a couple of years back and it was quite impressive. But I can't believe so many people sunk $$$ in a device when the company didn't even have a working prototype.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, good old Rock has been giving this presentation in one form or another for a few years now. If he can actually pull it off, that would be fantastic. However, just keeping a photon Tomo unit up and running is exhausting. I can only imagine what a helical proton machine would require.... :p

I've talked to Rock several times about this. There will be a number of engineering hurdles that will need to be cleared. First and foremost will be designing a DWA that will generate treatment energy protons (150-250 MeV?). At this point, the concept is to generate maximal acceleration with minimal involved DWA length, but the rough estimate for accelerator size is on the order of 3 meters, if memory serves. The next hurdle, as one can imagine, will be to reliably rotate a 3 meter long accelerator while the patient translates through the machine. Given the tomo units' rotational period of about 14 seconds, you can imagine the kind of angular momentum that would be generated at the far end of a 10 foot long accelerator if a similar rotational period is envisioned? It would also require a substantial trench or underground component in the vault to accomodate a 360 deg. rotation.

This much I'm comfortable talking about, since Rock has put it out on the lecture circuit for a few years now. As far as fixes for these issues, I'll just say that there are some very smart and creative folks working on it. I absolutely agree that it will be a challenge to produce a working model, but if anyone can do it, I believe they can.

Seriously, what is going on at Still River? They did a presentation in our department a couple of years back and it was quite impressive. But I can't believe so many people sunk $$$ in a device when the company didn't even have a working prototype.

I couldn't believe it either when I found out they had never even built a magnet, let alone a working prototype. My lesson learned from being around that experience was "never own Unit #1 of anything."

They had magnet problems that I'm not sure I can fully go into, but my understanding was those were resolved after ~ 10 months of delay. Nothing up and running yet, though, on a machine that was originally scheduled to be operational in March of 2009.

The next hurdle, as one can imagine, will be to reliably rotate a 3 meter long accelerator while the patient translates through the machine. Given the tomo units' rotational period of about 14 seconds, you can imagine the kind of angular momentum that would be generated at the far end of a 10 foot long accelerator if a similar rotational period is envisioned?

Seems like it would be easier to keep the proton machinery stationary and then have the PATIENT rotate and move within the machine, issues with motion sickness notwithstanding.

Seems like it would be easier to keep the proton machinery stationary and then have the PATIENT rotate and move within the machine, issues with motion sickness notwithstanding.

Something about that just made me hungry for rotisserie chicken....

Given the tomo units' rotational period of about 14 seconds, you can imagine the kind of angular momentum that would be generated at the far end of a 10 foot long accelerator if a similar rotational period is envisioned?
I see your point. However if they do use spot-scanning I guess they can afford to make the rotation at a slower pace.
The dose distribution will already be awesome enough. :)

I couldn't believe it either when I found out they had never even built a magnet, let alone a working prototype. My lesson learned from being around that experience was "never own Unit #1 of anything."

They had magnet problems that I'm not sure I can fully go into, but my understanding was those were resolved after ~ 10 months of delay. Nothing up and running yet, though, on a machine that was originally scheduled to be operational in March of 2009.

Not sure where information is coming from. They have succeeded with magnet. The delays are in line with prior serial #1 proton machines. I truly hope there is success in bringing down the "Star War" priced (NYT quote) systems.