New York COM (NYIT-COM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck everybody! Anybody send in the applications today? They say to send it in as early as possible.

So excited for this school! Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying IS(Submitted 6/3). Top choice DO school:)! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
The more I look into this school, the more interested I become. Think it's worth applying to with underdawg stats?

The more I look into this school, the more interested I become. Think it's worth applying to with underdawg stats?
Definitely if you're a NY resident! They seem to be more lenient with stats for IS applicants

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely if you're a NY resident! They seem to be more lenient with stats for IS applicants

Unfortunately I am not a NY resident.. Wisconsin. Still worth a shot? I ask because I havent read too many underdog stories on the boards relevant to NYIT-COM

Unfortunately I am not a NY resident.. Wisconsin. Still worth a shot? I ask because I havent read too many underdog stories on the boards relevant to NYIT-COM

Go for it if you have a 3.5+ 26+

Personally, I think it's worth a shot. You're already spending thousands of dollars on this application cycle so what's one more school? Especially if this is potentially your dream school. Go for it!

cGPA 3.4 MCAT 30 IS 2 Publications DO letter and good ECs. Putting my secondary together now so I can be ready for July 15th. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
may you please share the secondary application questions for the school doreegon?

this is what i've found, and i want to see if it's the same one you have:

NYCOM:
1. List all paid work experience from high school graduation to present (with dates):
2. List all volunteer (medical and other) work experience (with dates):
3. List all research experience (with dates):
4. List and describe your hobbies and recreational interests:
5. Indicate your extracurricular activities and the extent of your involvement (officer positions, etc.) while enrolled as a student:

Hi Guys! This is my top choice school, but I'm a complete idiot and didn't realize they require 3 faculty letters if you're not submitting a committee letter. I'm trying to scrounge up one more professor but I've already emailed 2 with no reply. I really hope this doesn't become an issue for me. I have 2 other non-faculty letters, but I really just need one more letter :(

Hi Guys! This is my top choice school, but I'm a complete idiot and didn't realize they require 3 faculty letters if you're not submitting a committee letter. I'm trying to scrounge up one more professor but I've already emailed 2 with no reply. I really hope this doesn't become an issue for me. I have 2 other non-faculty letters, but I really just need one more letter :(
Hope it all works out for you! Good luck this cycle! :)

this is what i've found, and i want to see if it's the same one you have:

NYCOM:
1. List all paid work experience from high school graduation to present (with dates):
2. List all volunteer (medical and other) work experience (with dates):
3. List all research experience (with dates):
4. List and describe your hobbies and recreational interests:
5. Indicate your extracurricular activities and the extent of your involvement (officer positions, etc.) while enrolled as a student:

Do we literally just have to list the things that they ask for, or do they want some sort of description of each activity?

Last edited:
Same secondary for this year. Do we literally just have to list the things that they ask for, or do they want some sort of description of each activity?
I just listed, it didn't say describe and they have our AACOMAS so I didn't see the need to

Also, the questions are different this year, they ask about shadowing experiences and international work experinces

Last edited:
are you guys able to access the secondary? It still says: "Applications for the 2015 Entering Year will be available for submission as of July 15, 2014." for me. but I thought it opened today in the morning

if any
I just listed, it didn't say describe and they have our AACOMAS so I didn't see the need to

Also, the questions are different this year, they ask about shadowing experiences and international work experinces
were you able to access the secondary?

are you guys able to access the secondary? It still says: "Applications for the 2015 Entering Year will be available for submission as of July 15, 2014." for me. but I thought it opened today in the morning
Yep, I was able to access the secondary this morning.

For those of you working on the secondary... Did you receive e-mail invites? Or are you you filling out the application before the primaries have been processed?

Foreign doctors (EPP applicants), apply here:

http://www.nyit.edu/index.php/calendar/details/epp_app_day

This is a brand new method for recruiting foreign physicians (emigre) to NYCOM for the new application cycle...this program has come a long way. Years ago, these foreign docs were accepted directly into third year and only had to complete years 3 and 4. Recently, it became the full 4 year program for them.

However, for LATINO/HISPANIC foreign docs, check this out: http://fm.mednet.ucla.edu/IMG/img_program.asp

For those of you working on the secondary... Did you receive e-mail invites? Or are you you filling out the application before the primaries have been processed?

just go fill it out; they didn't ask anything about primary application

Is it only listing or also including a description ?

WARNING: Write your responses in a word doc, then copy/paste. I usually do this anyway, but since these were quick entries I just typed them into the boxes. Once finished, I hit submit and it took me back to the login screen. All info erased. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

EDIT: If this happened to you, just click back on your browser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

WARNING: Write your responses in a word doc, then copy/paste. I usually do this anyway, but since these were quick entries I just typed them into the boxes. Once finished, I hit submit and it took me back to the login screen. All info erased. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

EDIT: If this happened to you, just click back on your browser!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D
That happened to me to lmao, I was so annoyed :p!

Dumb question, but they never asked for my AACOMAS ID, how do they know "who I am"? Also, what do we do for LoRs for the school. Submit now, or after interview invite?

Just submitted! Besides the crazy tuition, I love this school! :) Also, I wish all secondaries were as straightforward as this one. I hate writing!!!

Just submitted! Besides the crazy tuition, I love this school! :) Also, I wish all secondaries were as straightforward as this one. I hate writing!!!

If only they didn't need a picture :( Now i have to shave this "beard."

If only they didn't need a picture :( Now i have to shave this "beard."

lol, i also had to shave my beard for the picture.

Am I the only one around here who is submiting pictures to medical schools with my beard in all its glory? (Its neatly trimmed though!)

Am I the only one around here who is submiting pictures to medical schools with my beard in all its glory? (Its neatly trimmed though!)
That's fine. It sucks when you have to shave your beard for these kinds of pictures or interviews. You could also send them an old picture of you without a beard.

My picture looks like I had one too many plastic surgeries. :( Ugh... Let's hope they don't hand out ii based on how attractive we look

where did you see this message and we could submit even if they haven't sent us an email saying they received our primaries?

When does NYCOM begin interviewing applicants?

EDIT:
NVM got my own answer from their website:
The College of Osteopathic Medicine begins interviewing in November and continues through early spring until the class is filled. We work on a rolling basis so applicants are interviewed and accepted throughout this time period.

Did anyone receive a complete email after submitting the secondary?

Just fyi they sent this email to me after I asked about fee waiver.. "Please do not complete your Supplemental prior to receiving our acknowledgement of your AACOMAS application. "

and the website says this " It is important to complete the supplemental as soon as you have received an email from us acknowledging your AACOMAS application and directing you to the supplemental. For more specific questions and instructions for the supplemental application, visit the "How to Apply" tab on our website." http://www.nyit.edu/medicine/admissions/frequently_asked_questions/

Just fyi they sent this email to me after I asked about fee waiver.. "Please do not complete your Supplemental prior to receiving our acknowledgement of your AACOMAS application. "

Interesting. According to last year's thread, there were no AACOMAS acknowledgement emails sent out at any time during the cycle. I finished my secondary already, but I did not received an any emails from NYCOM prior to submitting. Hopefully this doesn't cause any problems.

you can fill out your secondary anytime after it opens. it says on their website all applicants are invited to complete secondary application.
but if you haven't filled it out by the time you receive an email of acknowledgement for the AACOMAS application, then you have to fill it out fast.

Submitted and paid. As of 7/20. Haven't received email yet. I think they said it could take around 5 days.

Good luck to all!