No time for friends?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Does anyone feel like they have no time for friends as a pre-med? I feel like the majority of my undergraduate career is consumed by the time I take trying to get into med school...and unfortunately, this has caused me to grow a bit distant from social life.

Is this a sacrifice everyone has to make eventually or something? It is making me feel very sad, because I get really attached to people and want to spend every single moment I can with the friends I make.
I'll be your friend!
Seriously though.
Make time for people.
Sure, getting into medical school may be your top priority right now, but if you go crazy in the process, it won't help you any (especially come time for medical school)
Sure, you may not be able to spend the same amount of time you used to with them. You may be studying for eight hours a day while they're off yoloswagging into oblivion. Regardless, try to make time for them. Maybe just once a week.
But do make time.
It'll make you a happier and healthier person, and a happier and healthier doctor in the long run.

I was never convinced that the difference between a 3.8 and a 4.0 in undergrad mattered enough to sacrifice a sense of balance in my life in order to achieve it. We're social animals.

Also,

yoloswagging into oblivion.

:laugh:

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Part of being a good doctor is knowing when to have fun and knowing when to be serious. You have to schedule (literally) time for recreation, and you can overalap activities if you are really pressed for time! Let's say you usually run alone for exercise- well join an IM sport in order to get the exercise in AND socialize with people. Meet friends in class! Be friendly, approachable, and show that you can contribute to the group!

Reactions: 2 users
No time for friends? Or no social skills to get any friends??

Reactions: 1 user
Part of being a good doctor is knowing when to have fun and knowing when to be serious. You have to schedule (literally) time for recreation, and you can overalap activities if you are really pressed for time! Let's say you usually run alone for exercise- well join an IM sport in order to get the exercise in AND socialize with people. Meet friends in class! Be friendly, approachable, and show that you can contribute to the group!

This is good advice, @040111333

I suggest a martial arts club.

Like others have said, you need to learn to make time to socialize, while also realizing you may not have as much time as non-premeds. It's all about balance, you can study hard and still go out and have fun!

Find people in your classes that are cool and study/hang out with them. It makes studying more social and fun and you'll without a doubt end up just straight up chillin sometimes. If you're in any clubs, participate in the social events! Go out the weekend after a big test or major assignment (and before those things, once you're a senior ;)). Learn these time management skills now, because they will prove invaluable in medical school and beyond.

If you don't have time to relax and hang out with friends you're doing something wrong.

If you don't have time to relax and hang out with friends you're doing something wrong.

That's not true. Everyone requires different amounts of time to study. During semesters when classes were really tough, I maybe got out every six weeks ago. That's the kind of work I needed to put in to get good grades. OP, it sucks sometimes but it sounds like you have your priorities straight. Friends come and go, a career doesn't. Trust the old lady who partied too hard right here. ;)

Just do stuff that interests you... its a win/win. You may get to help your app in a way by showing you are a well-rounded person and you also get to help your social life/ college life by having fun. Work hard, play hard now because you won't have much time to play around later!

That's not true. Everyone requires different amounts of time to study. During semesters when classes were really tough, I maybe got out every six weeks ago. That's the kind of work I needed to put in to get good grades. OP, it sucks sometimes but it sounds like you have your priorities straight. Friends come and go, a career doesn't. Trust the old lady who partied too hard right here. ;)

Thank you for your advice. I actually take a while to study and that's quite unfortunate seeing as it takes a lot of my time. The reason I asked this question in the first place is because I actually transferred universities because I was losing focus on what was important career-wise. In addition, I couldn't stop comparing myself to the friends around me. If one was better at something that I was not (such as getting good grades or securing leadership roles), it made me upset. Now, I am kinda regretting that I left all the fun and friends at college 1 so that I could save money and focus on getting my GPA up at college 2 :( hope I didn't make too big of a mistake!

Thank you for your advice. I actually take a while to study and that's quite unfortunate seeing as it takes a lot of my time. The reason I asked this question in the first place is because I actually transferred universities because I was losing focus on what was important career-wise. In addition, I couldn't stop comparing myself to the friends around me. If one was better at something that I was not (such as getting good grades or securing leadership roles), it made me upset. Now, I am kinda regretting that I left all the fun and friends at college 1 so that I could save money and focus on getting my GPA up at college 2 :( hope I didn't make too big of a mistake!

You've already made your decision, so don't go back on it, or waste time thinking of what could be. Take care of your business first and make sure you allot time for social interaction too. Keep trial-and-erroring until you find the balance you need to succeed on all fronts.

People should respect you for what you're doing. I was a "ghost" in undergrad. I came out once month, but when I came out I socialized and had fun. My friends knew I took school seriously but they also knew and respected my work ethic and it all worked out. You can still be social without socializing all the time

You're asking for it...

upload_2014-1-16_1-55-31.jpeg