Non-Trad Reapplicant - app help/suggestions on where to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bucks783

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Non-trad reapplicant seeking some advice on perceived chances of landing interview please

I am going to submit my application in the next few days (did not get to submit complete application with all requirements until mid-October last year, was waitlisted at NYU)

BSBA with majors in marketing and logistics (o-GPA - 3.0 after graduation...only had a few science classes done)
5 years work experience for financial institution
150 shadow hours (currently doing more)
~100 volunteer hours (currently doing more)
Completed science courses and raised o-GPA to 3.3 and s-GPA to 3.4 BCP closer to 3.6 (big upward trend in GPA)
20 AA / 22 RC /21 QR / 18 TS / 18 PAT :(
LORs from 2 professors (chem prof and o-chem/biochem prof), 1 dentist (OSU alum), 1 previous manager
Personal Statement has been reviewed and critiqued by someone that was on the committee for admissions at an Ivy League Med School

Ohio Resident (OSU Alum)

Schools applying to
Meharry
Ohio State
Case Western
Detroit Mercy
LECOM
Midwestern IL
Nova Southeastern
Louisville
University of New England
VCU
BU

....any help?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a very similar story. Coming back after 5 years. 3.8 BPC 3.28 oGPA 3.48sGPA and slightly higher DAT. I applied in Sept last year to only 3 schools and got nothing. People on the Advisory Committee told me I should expect to get at least a few interviews applying now.

Are you a minority? If not, drop Meharry. Most schools want a higher GPA for a post-bac or masters degree vs what they consider for applicants with just a BA/BS. Your GPA is really low in comparison. I've seen on a couple websites that they want a 3.7 or above for post grad work. By all means apply, but I would apply to 15 or so schools to give yourself a chance.

Are you a minority? If not, drop Meharry. Most schools want a higher GPA for a post-bac or masters degree vs what they consider for applicants with just a BA/BS. Your GPA is really low in comparison. I've seen on a couple websites that they want a 3.7 or above for post grad work. By all means apply, but I would apply to 15 or so schools to give yourself a chance.
I am a minority

I have a very similar story. Coming back after 5 years. 3.8 BPC 3.28 oGPA 3.48sGPA and slightly higher DAT. I applied in Sept last year to only 3 schools and got nothing. People on the Advisory Committee told me I should expect to get at least a few interviews applying now.
awesome ! have you gotten any interviews yet?!

Don't drop Meharry. I know plenty of "non-minorities" that have been accepted there. You're a non-traditional student. Your application is viewed differently.

Just an FYI, a current Meharry student posted and 8% of the school is Caucasian....hardly "plenty".

Okay, it may be a small percentage, but that's still not a reason for every person on SDN to tell applicants not to bother simply because they aren't a minority.

No different than being told not to apply to Harvard with a 19 DAT...

Just an FYI, a current Meharry student posted and 8% of the school is Caucasian....hardly "plenty".
If 8% of the school is Caucasian that only accounts for the amount of Caucasians that decided to attend. We don't know how many were accepted and chose to go somewhere else.

Ohio Resident (OSU Alum)

Don't waste your $$$. You WILL get into OSU. If you do not I will buy you a beer to console you. The only reason you didn't get in last year is the deadline is Sept. 15.

Trust me on this. Get rid of everything except OSU, Case, Louisville, Detroit and add NYU as a back up b/c you got an interview last year...

Reactions: 1 user
Don't waste your $$$. You WILL get into OSU. If you do not I will buy you a beer to console you. The only reason you didn't get in last year is the deadline is Sept. 15.

Sorry for being skeptical but how can you be so sure? Is it really worth the one beer to take that risk??

Trust me on this. Get rid of everything except OSU, Case, Louisville, Detroit and add NYU as a back up b/c you got an interview last year...

Sorry for being skeptical but how can you be so sure? Is it really worth the one beer to take that risk??

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe because she got in with low stats she thinks everyone does?? According to the stats, only 54% of the in-state applicants at Ohio were interviewed and 85% that were interviewed were accepted. I would not call that a sure thing.

That would be my dream situation!

I cannot guarantee anything, but feel very confident you will get in if you are interviewed. Apply to all of your schools, but mark my words, you will still be a Buckeye come Dental School...good luck! See you next year...

Reactions: 1 user
do you have a first and second choice? try to show the school you really want to go. good luck

do you have a first and second choice? try to show the school you really want to go. good luck

OSU is clear cut #1
Midwestern-IL or Detroit Mercy #2 (either one would be convenient)