Non-Trad roll call

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
/

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Corova.

32, applying right now.

I have my PhD in organic chemistry and have been post docing for the last 4 years. I realized my path to academia was to make my graduate adviser proud/ happy and not to make me happy. I've been thinking about med school since entering undergrad and finally decided to study for and take the MCAT over the last year. I was able to squeeze into one of the last old MCAT testing dates. My research has been in gene therapy and I'm switching to doing pancreatic cancer metabolism research for what I hope to be my final non-med year.

Reactions: 1 users
Sunshinefl

Applying June 2016 for 2017 matriculation

-29 years old, will be 31 when I start (fingers crossed)
-correctional officer for 4 years
-correctional officer sergeant for 3 years
-CNA in hospital medical unit for 2 years
-current practicing RN for 2 months
-attend University of Florida for BS in psychology graduating May 2017
-preparing for MCAT in April/May 2016

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
ThatKidJaybo
Applying 2017/2018 after I complete my prereqs
Finished undergrad in '14 but taking pre-reqs at night
Will most definitely be part of the underdawg thread.. woot woot.
Research Asst. at that military hospital the President goes to.

Hello,

I am a 37 year old single father with 3 kids. I enjoy gardening, exercise, being involved in church and cooking. I also help out with scouting and other kids events.

For the past 20 years, i have worked in the construction industry. I am enrolled in a biology program at a local community college, in my second year. This semester i am taking a math, psych and general biology class.

I am striving to qualify for a medical school for PA or doctor in a few years.

I am a non-trad and I've went through hell and back these last couple of years in terms of emotional difficulty and family issues. However, I have been very persistent, and I was recently accepted to medical school! It can be done Non-trads! Just be persistent, and dont lose track of your goals/focus. Its a long journey to get into medical school, but no one is exempt from having a realistic shot granted they put in the work.

Reactions: 2 users
This thread still alive?! Done with prereqs, done with MCAT. Waiting on score...
Yep, sure is! As long as I'm here anyhow :)

Best of luck to you pal, I'm sure you'll make it in :)

Hello,

I am a 37 year old single father with 3 kids. I enjoy gardening, exercise, being involved in church and cooking. I also help out with scouting and other kids events.

For the past 20 years, i have worked in the construction industry. I am enrolled in a biology program at a local community college, in my second year. This semester i am taking a math, psych and general biology class.

I am striving to qualify for a medical school for PA or doctor in a few years.

Stay true to the path and you'll make it in, it's not a sprint.
You sound like a hard worker, I'm sure you'll reach your destination :)

I am a non-trad and I've went through hell and back these last couple of years in terms of emotional difficulty and family issues. However, I have been very persistent, and I was recently accepted to medical school! It can be done Non-trads! Just be persistent, and dont lose track of your goals/focus. Its a long journey to get into medical school, but no one is exempt from having a realistic shot granted they put in the work.

Thanks for the kind words of inspiration @Gandyy

tri_for_med

37 years old....yikes, when did that happen?

Applying for 2017.

BS in Biology (2001); MBA in Information Systems (2002). I've worked in the clinical development industry since graduating and currently am an executive leading a mostly biometrics (biostats, stat programming, data management, etc) team at a large firm. It's been a great career for me and allowed me the opportunity to pursue other life goals (6 Ironman triathlons, private pilot's license, traveling extensively, flipping property, 5+ years of weekly volunteering) but I still long for the days when I was a research associate working in the emergency room at the local university hospital late at night while everyone else slept. I loved the hum of activity that never stopped and the excitement that came when the docs let us observe and sometimes even pitch in. The business I am in is certainly interesting but I am sick of the business piece. I miss science and learning. I find myself seeking opportunities to hang out with the medical team at work or my friends that are docs bc I love to hear their stories. I have been thinking about it all summer and told myself to get my transcripts (I honestly could not remember my GPA other than something above 3.0) and if they were decent, I'd apply. I'm just over 3.4 NS and 3.3 S, so here I am....now or never. I'm nervous about studying for and taking the MCAT after so many years out of school but I'm going to go after it with everything I can.

Looking forward to getting to know other nontrads on the same path:)

Reactions: 3 users
- esob

~ 2018 application.

- 40 year old disabled vet with a new lease on life, looking to finally achieve what I said I wanted to do pretty much as long as I can remember.

I'm just over 3.4 NS and 3.3 S... taking the MCAT after so many years out of school

Welcome to the crazy, neurotic med school train :)

When did you take the prereqs? (gchem, orgo, biochem, physics, gen bio)... also, psych/soc?

Studying for the MCAT can be done without current pre-reqs but it significantly harder. And I would not take it at all unless I'd first taken biochem.

If I squint, I can see 37... yep, it's that fuzzy number in the distance behind me. You're in company here!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Last edited:
Queenofspades

Accepted at SFSU Cohort 10!

Still waiting to hear from LMU and Mills Post Bacc programs as I type....class of 2017. Got rejected by Scripps, like the majority of the applicants. o_O

45 yo female, single, Bryn Mawr undergrad, transferred to Barnard and graduated cum laude. Upon graduation I worked in CBO's in NYC doing anti-violence work (DV, Bias-crime including HIV related, and as a street outreach worker doing HIV/AIDS education and Harm Reduction (needle exchange/cleaning works, etc.) on the streets of NYC early 1990's. After burnout at age 23 from HIV/AIDS' direct impact on my clients, co-workers and friends I went into the film world to recover and reconsider!

I am currently a VFX Supervisor working in the wild world of film/tv/commercials for over 20 years. Now I'm redirecting back into medicine. I've been trying to do classes on the side and have succeeded in finishing pre-calculus and biology 101/102 with 4.0 but it is almost an impossible task to consider continuing this way and working full-time, so I'm ready to jump in with both feet. I figure premed/med hours are nothing compared to my VFX work (13 day base and it goes up from there, outside usually in every kind of weather, with heavy gear and more to wrangle). Also the ability to stay in the same place most of the time and to focus on something over an extended period seems like a vacation to me after traveling for work sometimes for years on end, constantly switching teams, projects, etc. I'll be able to sleep in my own bed regularly! Seriously, after my life so far it seems enormously cushy to imagine going back to school. I'm no stranger to hard work, constant learning and intense focus.

I am very excited to make the transition, biting my nails waiting for the responses.

Congratulations! Where did you end up attending? And, did you interview at Scripps?

Members don't see this ad :)
>astrostellar
>26 today! Happy birthday to me.
>Can't apply until probably 2022 or 2023 cycle.

>Attended college miserably 2 or 3 times prior to joining the Air Force at 21. Many, many Fs and Ws. Currently active duty. Prior to military, had no study habits, anxiety/depression from bad/toxic relationship for like 8 years. Now divorced and no longer a hot mess, and getting As. Currently enrolled in B.S. in Medical Laboratory Science, finishing last class for an A.A.S through the Air Force and another A.A. from the Defense Language Institute. Also working on a phlebotomy certification. Going to do some post-bacc classes after I graduate in 2021. I'm technically a college senior, but have almost none of my degree done. Only pre-req I have out of the way is Anatomy I. I am interested in AF HPSP and have looked into it a lot.

>Alaska resident raised in Maine, so interested in UNECOM and some others. I think I currently have under a 2 AMCAS/AACOMAS sci GPA, ha ha. I have a *really* long way to go on this journey, so I'm always popping into the forums when I get stir-crazy.
>Interested in OB/GYN (reproductive endocrinology) right now, always also interested in pathology. I'm sure that'll change as I get further in.

-Who you are (screenname): vschow

-How long till you apply: a long time -- perhaps 3-4 years

-Anything else you wish to share: an NP for the last 7 years on and off. Started off wanting to go to medical school, then switched paths, and now back on the path and old. I'm hoping for a positive outcome.

Guess I'll play.

Matthew9Thirtyfive

Will be applying in 2018

I am a 32 year old husband and dad (x2), currently active duty Navy (Hooyah, Beat Army and all that). I was an OR tech for almost 8 years before I joined the Navy. During that time I also played music for a living for a short period and wrote for a living.

I joined the Navy, then after a few years went back to finish my degree while active duty. Finished my bachelors in Mathematics and am currently applying to an enlisted commissioning program that sends enlisted Sailors to a postbac program to finish the med school prereqs and the MCAT, and then go on to med school and a commission.

Currently working on upping my volunteer and research hours. I'm getting recent clinical experience through my command's medical training team and by seeing patients once a week at our sick call with the HMs. I actually start that this coming week, and I'm pumped to do some primary care. :)

- The Cannibal

- Knocking on 33's door

- My timeline is in flux at the moment, so we'll see when I can apply. Currently finishing my second year of a BS in Biological Sciences

- Left active duty fairly recently, was a combat medic in the Army. My ultimate goal is an MD, but I may be going to SFAS with the Army soonish which will put my undergrad on hold for a bit if I get picked up. Two ex-wives, no kids, so nothing is really keeping me from pursuing my goals via this ridiculous. erratic path for the time being.

>astrostellar
>26 today! Happy birthday to me.
>Can't apply until probably 2022 or 2023 cycle.

>Attended college miserably 2 or 3 times prior to joining the Air Force at 21. Many, many Fs and Ws. Currently active duty. Prior to military, had no study habits, anxiety/depression from bad/toxic relationship for like 8 years. Now divorced and no longer a hot mess, and getting As. Currently enrolled in B.S. in Medical Laboratory Science, finishing last class for an A.A.S through the Air Force and another A.A. from the Defense Language Institute. Also working on a phlebotomy certification. Going to do some post-bacc classes after I graduate in 2021. I'm technically a college senior, but have almost none of my degree done. Only pre-req I have out of the way is Anatomy I. I am interested in AF HPSP and have looked into it a lot.

>Alaska resident raised in Maine, so interested in UNECOM and some others. I think I currently have under a 2 AMCAS/AACOMAS sci GPA, ha ha. I have a *really* long way to go on this journey, so I'm always popping into the forums when I get stir-crazy.
>Interested in OB/GYN (reproductive endocrinology) right now, always also interested in pathology. I'm sure that'll change as I get further in.

Which post are you at? I am currently in Anchorage, at least until Spring anyway.

Bluegrass Belle. Hey, y'all! ;)
I'll be 26 on Black Friday. :eek:

I am hoping to apply during the '18 cycle. If not, I will definitely be applying in '19.
I have been doing some major GPA repair, unfortunately. I started this in Fall of 2015.
No surprise here, but I will only be applying to in-state MD schools, and possibly one or two from surrounding states.

Taking 15-17 hours each semester, working full-time as a lead in tech support, and volunteering for the Alzheimer's Association. Trying to find some time to get a decent amount of clinical and research experience!

Bluegrass Belle. Hey, y'all! ;)
I'll be 26 on Black Friday. :eek:

I am hoping to apply during the '18 cycle. If not, I will definitely be applying in '19.
I have been doing some major GPA repair, unfortunately. I started this in Fall of 2015.
No surprise here, but I will only be applying to in-state MD schools, and possibly one or two from surrounding states.

Taking 15-17 hours each semester, working full-time as a lead in tech support, and volunteering for the Alzheimer's Association. Trying to find some time to get a decent amount of clinical and research experience!

Are you going to apply to any DO schools in the area (if there are any)?

Are you going to apply to any DO schools in the area (if there are any)?

Pikeville is the closest DO, and well, if you're not from KY, it might be difficult to explain why this isn't a great place to be. Lol.

I'm open to DO programs, for sure. I thought about leaving them out the first application cycle, because I'm really hoping to get into UK or UL (went to UL for undergrad, currently at UK doing my post-bacc work - 3.7 GPA so far). I know my chances are heavily dependent on my MCAT, though.

Do you have any suggestions for someone that would probably have around a 3.4 cGPA and sGPA with AACOMAS grade replacement policy? I would prefer to be in the South or on the West Coast. I've heard that the coastal DOs (like the Touros) are difficult to get into.

Are you going the USU route? I see you're in the Navy. :)

Pikeville is the closest DO, and well, if you're not from KY, it might be difficult to explain why this isn't a great place to be. Lol.

I'm open to DO programs, for sure. I thought about leaving them out the first application cycle, because I'm really hoping to get into UK or UL (went to UL for undergrad, currently at UK doing my post-bacc work - 3.7 GPA so far). I know my chances are heavily dependent on my MCAT, though.

Do you have any suggestions for someone that would probably have around a 3.4 cGPA and sGPA with AACOMAS grade replacement policy? I would prefer to be in the South or on the West Coast. I've heard that the coastal DOs (like the Touros) are difficult to get into.

Are you going the USU route? I see you're in the Navy. :)

I guess I don't understand that. You're hoping to get into UK or UL, and I hope you do. But what if you don't? Now you have to apply again. If you add a couple DO schools in there, if you don't get into those two but get into a DO school, at least you're in somewhere. Not saying what you're doing is bad, just not how I look at it.

And yeah, trying for the USU route.

I guess I don't understand that. You're hoping to get into UK or UL, and I hope you do. But what if you don't? Now you have to apply again. If you add a couple DO schools in there, if you don't get into those two but get into a DO school, at least you're in somewhere. Not saying what you're doing is bad, just not how I look at it.

And yeah, trying for the USU route.

I guess because I am really wanting to stay in-state, and my options for DO are limited to one school. Good luck!

I guess because I am really wanting to stay in-state, and my options for DO are limited to one school. Good luck!

Yeah in your situation it kind of makes sense. If you're willing to risk going through multiple cycles than going out of state, it makes sense. Good luck to you too!

Bornunderatree

Applying this cycle (2016-2017) 3.98, 513, degree in nursing. Applied to 12 schools.

Spent the last three years working in Reno NV in cardiac critical care. California resident though.

So far interview invites at Mayo AZ and UCSD with a rejection at Pritzker.

Good luck out there!

bigbearjet

Graduated in 2009 from a service academy w/ a 3.1 GPA and a B.S. in History.

Been flying in the Navy for past 6 years. Looking to transition to MD/DO.

Interested in doing a post bacc in either CA or CO (fiancee/family concerns.)

Pretty nervous about making this career transition, looking for encouragement or advice/success stories.

bigbearjet

Pretty nervous about making this career transition, looking for encouragement or advice/success stories.

Are you trying to transition to civilian medicine or stay Navy med?

bigbearjet

Graduated from a service academy in '08, probably the same one judging from your profile picture. Got a 3.07 in Physics. Also flying for the past 7 years, again probably the same platform looking at your picture. I applied this summer to a bunch of east coast post bac programs and got into UVA. I'll be going there this summer. I know any chances of MD or DO hinge on my performance next year in terms of grades and MCAT.

Just FYI, if we're talking about the same service academy, you need to get in touch with the head of the chemistry department when you are ready to apply. I spoke with him when I started applying to post bac programs and the Academy will provide a committee LOR for med school apps. He wasn't phased at all that I wasn't a chem major and said it's completely normal for them to write LOR's for non chem majors.

There are also a quite a few academy grads floating around this site who recently got into med school. I can give you the names of two of them who reached out to me when I first posted to this site.

For me, I plan to go the civilian route all the way. I have 100% of the GI Bill and I will use it for med school and pay the post bac out of pocket. Applying to all public schools and a few DO schools (which are all private, but nothing I can do about that).

@bigbearjet @KLBMed

Academy grad here and pilot. Graduated with a <3.2 and did a diy post bacc to get the prereqs in and raise my gpa to ~3.35. Tons of love from MD schools and excited to be starting school this summer. Hit me up if you have any questions.

You think prior service helped? LizzyM told me to add ~5 points to my LizzyM score for military experience, which will help. I have around a 3.5 now, but will hopefully be doing a postbac to raise that and finish my prereqs.

I know it helped. By mid-september I received IIs from nearly 50% of schools I was complete at. All interviews spent a large portion of the time on my military experiences. I will say that its not a check the box kind of thing. You have to be able to concisely articulate what you've done and how that is relevant and beneficial to the school and profession.

Was it military in general or specifically because you were a pilot? I have lots of good experiences to talk about (medical related and not), but I'm just a surface squid.