This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aaf1993

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

This is the first time I've ever posted on here so lets see how this goes. I recently graduated from a four year university (Boston University) with a major in International Relations. I started pre-med but was convinced by some friends that I wanted something easier (typical first year college fears). I loved my major but I realized that it wasnt something that I wanted a career in. My senior year I realized that I really was passionate about medicine from the beginning, I just let peer pressure get to me. I am currently doing my post-bacc at a local university so I'm getting those classes in.

The main reason I'm writing this post is because I'm extremely confused as to what to do. My time line is such: finish pre-med courses in a year and then take MCAT in May/June. Here comes my uncertainly. I really want to do the Peace Corps but the time commitment is daunting. I found the Global Health Corps fellowship which is a shorter time but whatever it is that I do, I would like it to be helpful in my application. Let me be clear, as an IR student I dreamed of doing the PC. This is not something I'm doing just because I want to bulk up a resume. That being said, does anyone know of the legitimacy of GHC or how it does look on a resume?

I'm also conflicted as to what I should do during my free time this year. My class schedule is crazy but I know I need experience in a hospital. I have my EMS certification so I could work as an EMT but I am not sure if it would be more beneficial for me to volunteer in a hospital or a free clinic. I have no research experience (due to my non-science major) and most of my extra curricular activities revolved around the arts.

Medicine truly is what I want to do with my life. I grew up in a family of doctors and I am extremely aware of the changes going on in the medical field. I have watched both of my parents struggle through call and residency. I know this path is extremely daunting and difficult. In the end I want to use my skills that I have learned through IR and apply them to medicine. I am worried that because of my non-traditional history and lackluster resume will prevent me from reaching this goal. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you for your help

Members don't see this ad.

If you really want to do PC, by all means do it. If you find that you'd rather jump headlong into medicine, go for that.
That's a decision you'll have to make yourself ultimately to feel comfortable with it.
Unfortunately I cannot help you with GHC, since I am unfamiliar.

You don't necessarily need experience volunteering in a hospital. Most places will accept someone who did shadowing, which is fine as well.

I would stay with the EMT job and do some volunteering. There are several EMTs on here who are going for med school as well. Being an EMT itself shows leadership ability. That's a huge benefit. It has a huge benefit, certainly as compared to a nontrad like me who is, well, someone who worked in a non-medically related career.

As for resume, it doesn't have to be lustrous. They expect most students will have almost nothing on their resume. I just finished my secondary application for Drexel, and they expect that the applicants really never worked anywhere- ie fresh minted out of college. I had to copy and paste my resume in just to explain what I have done for the past decade or so since I completed my science courses. In fact, most schools will make you explain what you did for your career and whether this is a major change of careers.

As an nice little perk, most schools have a special section in their secondary application where they take into account alumni. If your parent or family members attended one of the schools, take full advantage of telling them about it. It may repay you. I can speak personally for this, because I have no one in my family who is a physician, but I assume some will be partial to alumni children/relatives.

A lot of colleges want students with diversity. This isn't racial diversity necessarily. You seem to be well-rounded which is a great asset.

I wouldn't worry too much. Consider how much time you are willing to spend.
Take this as a practical tip from someone who has been out of college for a while...you will forget information if you stay away from it too long. You absolutely will. I felt awful when I started studying for my MCAT. I remembered looking at a question thinking...wow, I remember teaching this as a student teacher...but I can't for the life of me recall this information. It'll blow your mind and it's very frustrating. (I only taught for a little while before spending years in a totally different career path.)
Good luck!

My sister was premed, graduated with a degree in Chem, went in the peace corp for a few years prior to med school and ended up deciding she didn't want to do medicine anymore, lol. OFC, that's n=1 but the general idea I get from most people who do the PC is that it changes you much in the way military service makes you a different, usually more mature individual.