Nontraditional with Bachelors and finishing Masters: Where do I go from here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cheyenne2313

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Student Doctors,

I am currently a master's student in occupational therapy and I am beginning to have second thoughts about this as a career. I am quickly losing interest in the field (I understand everyone has some level of burnout, but I have felt this way for about a year or two). Throughout my college education, I REALLY enjoyed the anatomy courses, physiology, neurology, etc. and am largely missing these courses in my education in occupational therapy. I wish I would have followed my interests in science more, which may have led me to medicine in the first place. I guess my interest in medicine has been further peaked as I am a cancer survivor, and I would like to be a part of the medical team that does so much good for so many people. It's not that I don't like OT, but I am finding my interests are lying more in the medical and scientific aspects.

I am wrapping up the last part of my master's education, so I do not believe that it would be beneficial to drop out this far in. With that being said, I plan on completing my masters in occupational therapy with the hopes of applying for medical school in the next 5 years. My question is: where do I go from here to figure out which prerequisites I still need to fulfill? Do I look at the medical schools I am interested in attending? How do I make a decision as to where to take these prerequisites?

Members don't see this ad.