Program-Specific Info / Q's Northern Arizona University or University of Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

haley7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I haven't been able to find any info or people who applied for either of these programs. I know the NAU OT program is brand new but any insight into their program? Wondering if it is worth it to attend a doctorate program that is not yet accredited. Also any one attend or planning to attend University of Utah? Heard great things from an admissions counselor, but none from an actual student.

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't been able to find any info or people who applied for either of these programs. I know the NAU OT program is brand new but any insight into their program? Wondering if it is worth it to attend a doctorate program that is not yet accredited. Also any one attend or planning to attend University of Utah? Heard great things from an admissions counselor, but none from an actual student.
Hey!! So I applied to both. I got a call from NAU last week to set-up an interview. I chose to decline the interview since I have been accepted to another school that was higher up on my list. Plus I recently decided I didn't want to attend a doctorate program. The University of Utah is AWESOME! The only downfall is the length of the program (almost three years). The class that will be starting in 2016 will have the choice to do a doctorate, which ends up being one semester longer than their current master's program. So that kind of stinks! Where are you from? Are you familiar with SLC? It's a beautiful area! I think the student's love it!

Hey!! So I applied to both. I got a call from NAU last week to set-up an interview. I chose to decline the interview since I have been accepted to another school that was higher up on my list. Plus I recently decided I didn't want to attend a doctorate program. The University of Utah is AWESOME! The only downfall is the length of the program (almost three years). The class that will be starting in 2016 will have the choice to do a doctorate, which ends up being one semester longer than their current master's program. So that kind of stinks! Where are you from? Are you familiar with SLC? It's a beautiful area! I think the student's love it!
I actually grew up in SLC but moved to AZ 16 years ago, but I visit often so I am very familiar with the area. However, I don't qualify for in state unless I do WICHE and I cannot commit to practicing in AZ for a year because my husband (hopefully) will be in dental school and I need to be able to go where ever he goes. NAU offered me an interview as well but I just got into my top two picks so I will most likely be canceling the interview. Have you heard from U of U??

Members don't see this ad :)
I have not heard from the U of U. From what I understand, they will be sending out interview notifications in January, interviews will take place in February, and then acceptances in March.

I loved the Utah program, I talked to admissions counselors, one student in the program, and a friend who visited, they do require you have credit hours in studio art (needs to be a 3D form- no painting or drawing) but I actually kind of like that they make that a priority and something they value.
If you are not in state though the program is about 120,000. That was what made my decision not to apply.

I loved the Utah program, I talked to admissions counselors, one student in the program, and a friend who visited, they do require you have credit hours in studio art (needs to be a 3D form- no painting or drawing) but I actually kind of like that they make that a priority and something they value.
If you are not in state though the program is about 120,000. That was what made my decision not to apply.
I know, I am out of state as well and am considering withdrawing my application because the tuition is through the roof.

I know, I am out of state as well and am considering withdrawing my application because the tuition is through the roof.
Haley, I read in another thread that you got accepted to A.T. Still, congrats! I did as well, so I will either be going there or the University of Utah depending on the outcome of things! So perhaps we will be classmates!

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone hear back from Utah? I received an interview invitation on Thursday, but being from out of state, traveling costs are quite expensive. I'm wondering if the program is more research based or more focused on clinical application.

Thanks to the people above who shared some information about the school. Anyone else have any insight about the University of Utah or the area in general? The deadline to respond to the invite is quickly approaching so ANY information would be appreciated!!

Hello, I am a current U of U student. I am in my second semester. I think that there is a good mix. You do some research, but we have 5 level one fieldwork in addition to the 2 level two's.

I think the school is awesome, the teachers are great and they invested in you. The school wants you to succeed and it shows. Your first semester consists of an in depth anatomy dissection class, a conditions class, and a foundations class.

Like I said, I'm only on my second semester so there's a lot I haven't experienced. I am about to start my first fieldwork.

Let me know if there is anything else I can answer.

Reactions: 1 users

Last edited:
Hello, I am a current U of U student. I am in my second semester. I think that there is a good mix. You do some research, but we have 5 level one fieldwork in addition to the 2 level two's.

I think the school is awesome, the teachers are great and they invested in you. The school wants you to succeed and it shows. Your first semester consists of an in depth anatomy dissection class, a conditions class, and a foundations class.

Like I said, I'm only on my second semester so there's a lot I haven't experienced. I am about to start my first fieldwork.

Let me know if there is anything else I can answer.
Thanks for your input! The interview invitation says that they will get to know you in a variety of settings during the interview. Could you give us some examples? Thanks again!

@NDS2310 Thanks a lot for replying!! Are you originally from Utah? How is the workload?

@FUTUREOTOF2015 I was wondering the same thing!! The email says that the interview would take an hour and a half which seems kind of long.

Can anyone share some insight about the interview process?

Last edited:
I also wanted to say that I think its a shame that we are rarely mentioned on these boards. I truly feel like the school is top notch, but I may be a little biased. The teachers all come from different backgrounds and several of them are straight up awesome people (my favorite teacher ended up being the one with the super intense poker face). If you are accepted and decide to attend I don't think you will be disappointed.

Thanks a lot @NDS2310!! I really appreciate your insight. You mentioned you are from a neighboring state...did you apply for the WICHE?

I actually moved to Utah in 2012, so technically I am viewed as a resident now. I would have if that wasn't the case though. WICHE is an awesome program.

I applied to NAU OTD and interviewed, but haven't heard back yet. It seems like it will be a great program, but Phoenix is not for everyone. It's an urban sprawl with so-so public transit. If I don't get in, I'm not sure where I would want to re-apply to....maybe somewhere greener...

I applied to NAU OTD and interviewed, but haven't heard back yet. It seems like it will be a great program, but Phoenix is not for everyone. It's an urban sprawl with so-so public transit. If I don't get in, I'm not sure where I would want to re-apply to....maybe somewhere greener...
Hi there, would you mind sharing with me what the interview was like? Do you attend?