This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Can an optometrist have a nose piercing?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AnonymousCollegeStudent

Biology Student
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently an undergrad student who wants to go to optometry school. Will having a pierced nose (1.5mm stud) affect my chances of getting in? Will it affect my career in terms of professionalism? Does anyone know an actual optometrist who wears a nose ring/stud? I've read similar threads like this, but for students concerned about medical school. Is it really a big deal to wear a nose ring in the world of optometry as it is in medicine?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you are worried about it affecting your chances of getting in, just take it out for the interview. I guess it depends on your patient. I personally wouldn't really care if my optometrist had a nose piercing but if my optometrist had a bunch of piercings all over their face and tattoos everywhere then I might be a bit skeptical lol.

I've never seen an optometrist with any type of visible piercing or tattoo. But a tiny stud really shouldn't be a big deal, if you were wearing a giant hoop then people might be like ehhh... haha. I think you will be fine. Just maybe take it out for the interview.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are worried about it affecting your chances of getting in, just take it out for the interview. I guess it depends on your patient. I personally wouldn't really care if my optometrist had a nose piercing but if my optometrist had a bunch of piercings all over their face and tattoos everywhere then I might be a bit skeptical lol.

I've never seen an optometrist with any type of visible piercing or tattoo. But a tiny stud really shouldn't be a big deal, if you were wearing a giant hoop then people might be like ehhh... haha. I think you will be fine. Just maybe take it out for the interview.

Thanks for the advice. Do you think it would close up during the interview? That's another thing I am worried about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. Do you think it would close up during the interview? That's another thing I am worried about.

No, it's not like your interview is daaays long haha. It will only be one day. Maybe just take it out that morning and then put it back in right after the interview

I will not hire employees with visible tattoos or facial piercings.
A large % of optometry patients are older are easily offended.
I cater to those who are giving me money.

For getting admitted, you run the risk of someone on the admission committee feeling the same way.

Reactions: 1 user
No, it's not like your interview is daaays long haha. It will only be one day. Maybe just take it out that morning and then put it back in right after the interview
I'd highly recommend you to take that off. We've few classmates who used to have piercing on face/nose. However, since the time they have started school, i've yet to see one with any kind of piercing on face or visible tattoos.

Hey, I wore a small nose stud to all my interviews. Most people do not care. It will not close up if you decide to take it of for a few hours. Another thing you can do is get a flesh colored nose ring that matches your skin tone if it's a fairly new piercing.

I am currently an undergrad student who wants to go to optometry school. Will having a pierced nose (1.5mm stud) affect my chances of getting in? Will it affect my career in terms of professionalism? Does anyone know an actual optometrist who wears a nose ring/stud? I've read similar threads like this, but for students concerned about medical school. Is it really a big deal to wear a nose ring in the world of optometry as it is in medicine?

I had a nose ring and took it out a year or two ago. I think it's unprofessional to wear in a "professional" environment. However, outside of school and work do as you please

It depends on where you want to practice. People in a hip part of a major city likely won't care, but if you're in a small town with an older population it might be seen as unprofessional. Then again, they might not care either. I know quite a few docs (not just optometrists) who have tattoos and piercings, and most make it easy by just covering the tattoo and/or piercing during professional hours. Some do not, and to my knowledge it has never been a real issue. You should probably remove it for your interview just to be safe, in my opinion.