Nova 4th year rotation placement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Airmojo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I was recently accepted in Nova pharmacy school and Midwestern downers grove. I really loved both schools but Nova's campus is just too beautiful to pass up. I'm currently making a pros and cons list as I am from Michigan so this decision is difficult.

I know at midwestern students can do their rotations out of the state. Can students at Nova do rotations out of the state in lets say Michigan? If so how are they with their match/placements. How respected is the school in the eyes of preceptors and current pharmacists?

Same for midwestern? Any feedback on the school by current students? Which would you guys prefer? I know tuition is less at Nova but midwestern is closer to my home
And I was told if you're a nova student it would be hard to graduate in Florida and become a licensed pharmacist in Michigan? Is this accurate?

I'm mostly concerned with rotational sites but I'm open to any feedback

Members don't see this ad.

With respect to NSU....

Yes, NSU students can do up to 4 rotations out of state (may have changed this year but up till last year it was 4 ). Bear in mind for you to do these rotations out of state you need to make the extra effort have your preceptors lined up and the paperwork completed and submitted prior to you actually doing the rotation. But yes, you can do rotations out of state at NSU.

There's a ranking system. So you rank your sites/locations online and then you get the sites that you're assigned. Completely random matching process. If you're doing out of state rotations, you may still be required to rank all sites if you haven't submitted your paperwork for the out of state site you want. The effort is on your end to get licensed as an intern in whichever state you choose and to get the paperwork processed. So you have to be on top of things!

I'm not sure which audience you're referring to when you ask how respected the school is in the eyes of preceptors and current pharmacists. Are you referring to what out of state preceptors and pharmacists think of NSU? That's a double edged sword as no two students are ever the same so it will obviously vary.

As delightful as the campus may seem(assuming you're going to the Fort Lauderdale campus), weigh your options carefully. NSU offers alot, but you also pay alot. If you plan on sticking your nose in a book and not getting involved state wide or organization wide, or research , you may just want to pay lower tuition and get the same ACPE standard education.

Lastly, with respect to licensure, that's incorrect. You can get licensed in most states after graduating in FL. And if you don't plan on staying in FL then you can always have you primary license state be MI if that's what you want. The nabp website will have more information on the specifics detailing what's required to get licensed in another state with a FL license.