Nova class 2017 admissions forum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmacist2017

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Figured I would start a thread for Nova Southeastern for Pharmacy School. Anyone applied yet? or taking the new PCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I will be applying to Nova and have half of my application complete. I take the PCAT July 19th and am SUPER nervous.

I was wondering though (to any current Nova WPB students) how does lectures work? Is it Monday- Friday, is attendance mandatory, if it's not is it beneficial to always show up to class, is any lectures posted online?

I will be applying to Nova and have half of my application complete. I take the PCAT July 19th and am SUPER nervous.

I was wondering though (to any current Nova WPB students) how does lectures work? Is it Monday- Friday, is attendance mandatory, if it's not is it beneficial to always show up to class, is any lectures posted online?

I'm not sure about the mandatory attendance but according to one of my friend who attends NSU the pharmacy students have all their lectures recorded and thus they can always go back to view lectures. I'm guessing since they have the PR campus and the other satellite campuses all the recorded lectures are available to them.

But i'd really like to know also since I will be applying to NOVA.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey everyone I've been accepted for the 2016 class and will start next month. Feel free to ask me any questions regarding the application process!

ummm. guys . quotes from the admissions requirements page of Nova some of the classes needed

"pharmacology - 6 semester hours, pharmaceutics - 6 semester hours, and pharmacokinetics - 4 semester hours. " WHA?!!? I dont think anyone has taken those classes in undergrad. my college didnt even offer those?

also

"Prior to matriculation, College of Pharmacy applicants must complete and receive a Bachelor of Science degree in pharmacy from a program accredited by the country of residence" um WHAA? im a chem major. our school doesnt even have a pharmacy major.

ummm. guys . quotes from the admissions requirements page of Nova some of the classes needed

"pharmacology - 6 semester hours, pharmaceutics - 6 semester hours, and pharmacokinetics - 4 semester hours. " WHA?!!? I dont think anyone has taken those classes in undergrad. my college didnt even offer those?

also

"Prior to matriculation, College of Pharmacy applicants must complete and receive a Bachelor of Science degree in pharmacy from a program accredited by the country of residence" um WHAA? im a chem major. our school doesnt even have a pharmacy major.
You must be on the wrong page or something because I don't see that anywhere on the Nova admissions page. :confused:

http://pharmacy.nova.edu/pharmd/admissions.html

edit: I did some searching around and saw that you are looking at the INTERNATIONAL admissions page. Please mention if you are a traditional student or international student when you ask your questions as not doing so may make your question irrelevant.

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick helpful reply Dedication. I am traditional out of state. :thumbup:

Does NOVA only use your pre-requisite grades to calculate your GPA? or do they use all you grades from all classes regardless of whether they are pre-reqs or not.:confused:

Thanks for the quick helpful reply Dedication. I am traditional out of state. :thumbup:

Does NOVA only use your pre-requisite grades to calculate your GPA? or do they use all you grades from all classes regardless of whether they are pre-reqs or not.:confused:

Do you mind sharing your stats?
Nova uses what pharmcas uses so yes it will include all classes you have taken. Pharmcas does split it up into a science gpa and math gpa (I think) and an overall GPA.

Mr Cool, my stats were: 3.2 gpa, 84 pcat.

I bolded it in case others scrolled past and wanted to know.

I'm having trouble with the amount of recommendations needed. So as I understand it, you need 2 science teachers, 1 liberal arts... or you can have a pharmacist and 2 teachers right? I've never seen so many teachers needed, its difficult when you're in classes with 500 kids and work during office hours :(

Members don't see this ad :)
My stats are 2 years pharm tech, 3.4 gpa, 79 pcat, biochem degree and minor in business... i feel like my resume is solid but worried if its competitive enough, plus im out of state! any ideas what they're really looking for?

My stats are 2 years pharm tech, 3.4 gpa, 79 pcat, biochem degree and minor in business... i feel like my resume is solid but worried if its competitive enough, plus im out of state! any ideas what they're really looking for?

Let me assure you this, you are guranteed accepted if you well in your interview, Trust me on that.

79 PCAT and 3.75 overall gpa. I am going with that.

You are on very good track, only you have to do is Do extra good in your interview, and u r in. if you have work experience than it wuld be super.

If I'm submitting my Pharmcas in September/October, any ideas how long it takes to hear back?

Good question, pharmacist2017. I have some LOR professor that are out of town/country so I might have to wait until August 5 to reach them.

So i just got an email from pharmcas saying my gpa was calculated and its bad :( my university gpa was 3.35 and pharmcas gpa is 3.18 Nova is my first choice & now im worried.

So i just got an email from pharmcas saying my gpa was calculated and its bad :( my university gpa was 3.35 and pharmcas gpa is 3.18 Nova is my first choice & now im worried.

I don't think 3.18 is bad per say (I think that's what mine is lol). I havn't gotten my official GPA but I used a GPA calculator.. did you try to calculate your GPA prior to sending it in?

Mines a 2.5 overall and Im still applying. I nailed the PCAT and I have a lot of tech experience. GPA is important, but it's more about the whole package. Chillax Brollison:cool:

hey everyone I've been accepted for the 2016 class and will start next month. Feel free to ask me any questions regarding the application process!

Hello, I have applied for Fall 2013 class ( Pharm D for International only). Would you please tell me how much time it takes to get interview call after application completion. I have completed application on 8/07/2012. This is my 3rd attempt for pharmacy. Hope this time I will get it.

Hello, I have applied for Fall 2013 class ( Pharm D for International only). Would you please tell me how much time it takes to get interview call after application completion. I have completed application on 8/07/2012. This is my 3rd attempt for pharmacy. Hope this time I will get it.
I did my application very early in June. I believe I got an interview invite for October, but I wouldn't count the whole 4 months between June and October because I don't even think they begin looking at applications as early as June. I think they start in September. So I would say 1-2 months to wait to hear if you got an interview. If more time than that passes, you are probably being placed low on the list for a chance at an interview.

Seemingly, everyone applying to Nova has a BS degree. Should I even bother applying with just the prerequisites?

That is very competitive for Nova, don't worry.

GPA is only one of the things they look at. Get good references, above 70 on your PCAT and a solid personal statement and you will get an interview. Good luck.

Seemingly, everyone applying to Nova has a BS degree. Should I even bother applying with just the prerequisites?

I didn't have my bachelors when I applied last year. I quickly got an interview and was accepted. You'd be surprised how many applicants don't have a bachelors degree.

FYI - my stats were 3.2 GPA and 79 PCAT

Anyone know if I can submit my application without all of LOR's and PCAT transcript in? I have everything completed...transcripts, personal essay and the misc stuff.

Anyone know if I can submit my application without all of LOR's and PCAT transcript in? I have everything completed...transcripts, personal essay and the misc stuff.

Yes you can. However, your application will be considered incomplete until pharmcas receives the lors,pcat score, transcripts which will then be sent to the school.

Hello,
GPA was 2.8 and haven't taken the pcat but signed up for sept. I'm worried I wont do well and was wondering if there was hope to get in with a bad score. I have 2 yrs working in my chem research position at public health lab, no pharm experience, and 4 solid recommendations, along with other health care related experience. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Hello,
GPA was 2.8 and haven't taken the pcat but signed up for sept. I'm worried I wont do well and was wondering if there was hope to get in with a bad score. I have 2 yrs working in my chem research position at public health lab, no pharm experience, and 4 solid recommendations, along with other health care related experience. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Don't let these negative thoughts get the better of you buddy. Think positively! Your GPA is really similar to mine, but instead of thinking negatively, I'm thinking of what I need to do to smash the PCAT and being proactive towards that goal. You gotta think that with your GPA, you have to really show what you know on the PCAT in order to offset your hindered GPA.

On-topic: I'm applying here as well. :thumbup:

thank you for the reply man. i have a 2010 kaplan book i'm currently using for study and was told the dr. collins series of books/notes were the way to go. What have you been using to study? I'm trying to figure out what would be the most effective way to cram as much as i can this last month before the test. I appreciate the help.

thank you for the reply man. i have a 2010 kaplan book i'm currently using for study and was told the dr. collins series of books/notes were the way to go. What have you been using to study? I'm trying to figure out what would be the most effective way to cram as much as i can this last month before the test. I appreciate the help.

Don't cram. A month is more than enough time to study for the PCAT as long as you are diligent in studying a little bit everyday. As long as you've been paying attention in your general chem, bio and know basic calculus, the science-y stuff tested on the PCAT will be review for you.

I'm just using Dr. Collins and the 2012-2013 Kaplan book for bio. I'll most likely get the 3 practice exams from Pearsons around 10 days before my scheduled exam date (Sept 19th) just to find out what areas I still need to review in for my last-minute studying.

Lastly, don't sweat it haha. The last thing you want is pre-test anxiety that makes you second guess every single answer on the test. Good luck with studying man.

I took the new PCAT exam in July, and the books (kaplan,collins, etc) are NOT updated for the new exam. Make sure to look at what's on the new one. No animals, plants, etc. on it at all which is awesome, but LOTS of biochem, make sure you know your biochem! Im a biochem major and was shocked how much they asked about it.

Hey guys, I'm registered to take the PCAT on September 25th and I was just wondering how soon should I submit my application to nova? I'm almost done with it. Would it be okay to submit the application (through PharmCAS) after you take the exam or as soon as possible within the upcoming days... Thanks!

hi
i have completed my pharmacy in India can i know the universities which are offering the accelerated pharma d program

Submit your application asap. Pharmcas takes 5 weeks to calculate your gpa...

I am from the Class of 2016 PR site and I have to tell you that not every lecture is recorded. For Example for biochem only one of the professors is recording on tegrity and the other 2 not. For your P1 year classes will be Monday, Tuesday and Thursday from 1 to 5 pm, Wednesday from 11 to 5 pm and fridays from 1 until 2 pm....

I have to say its a really good experience being in here, the professors are always available to help you even is you are at the distance sites.... GOOD LUCK to everyone applying

Has anyone heard back? I keep checking my email praying for an interview lol

ahh I remember that feeling ^^^^ of "I hope I get an interview or my life will be over"

Now I'm all smiles even in my suffering of exam after exam. :)

Just got my interview invite for September 26th via phone call!

Do you know if admissions will consider if GPA does not meet min?

To those that have already scheduled an interview, when did you submit your application? When did you get your supplemental?

To those that have already scheduled an interview, when did you submit your application? When did you get your supplemental?

I submitted my PharmCAS on 7/24 and submitted the supplemental on 8/31.