NOVA students starting this year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LBS615

LBS615
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up. i checked webstar today and they have me listed as an out of state student who has to be pay out of state tuition, even though I sent them proof of residency back in January and the fact i have gone to to other florida schools and have lived in florida for 26 years. :mad: Great. So i have to try to fix this tom. You might want to check your status for tuition reasons if you are starting at nova this fall.

Members don't see this ad.

LBS615 said:
Just a heads up. i checked webstar today and they have me listed as an out of state student who has to be pay out of state tuition, even though I sent them proof of residency back in January and the fact i have gone to to other florida schools and have lived in florida for 26 years. :mad: Great. So i have to try to fix this tom. You might want to check your status for tuition reasons if you are starting at nova this fall.
Nova gets an X amount of money from the state to support state students. The number of state students Florida supports is limited. You may have been one of the unlucky ones.

Is Nova's pharmacy school fairly easy to get into? I've heard that their optometry school isn't as hard as some other schools to get into.

Also - since Nova's in a hot and sunny area near the beach, is the cost of living there unreasonable?

Members don't see this ad :)
RLK said:
Is Nova's pharmacy school fairly easy to get into? I've heard that their optometry school isn't as hard as some other schools to get into.

Also - since Nova's in a hot and sunny area near the beach, is the cost of living there unreasonable?
yeah...it's real easy to get into. Just send your application and they will take you in! Think about how many applicants the optometry school gets versus the pharmacy program and that should answer your question.

No, its reasonable for the most part. It has it's more affluent areas and it's less affluent areas just like anywhere else.

I spoke with admissions today and they said they classify everybody as out of state until they review your chart. The woman I spoke with said they review the pharmacy students charts in June. She also said I did give enough info for state residency so I should be fine. I had never heard of Florida only having a limited amount of spots for in state student tuition. That almost seems ilegal to charge you out of state when you are in state. I have two friends who are Canadian and got to Nova but they both classified for in state ( they are 2nd and 4th year) they have lived in florida for a while. My father is one of the VP's at FAU and he did not mention anything like that. He thought it was probably a computer glitch on Nova's part. But if not I am sure if they don't fix it, then he will. :)

LBS615,

Hey I will be a P2 at Nova this Fall, they will change your residency, the same thing happened last year and I was freaking out too. Nova just does things slowly lol, but as far as financial aide etc they are pretty organized. You will really enjoy going to Nova, I am at the Davie campus and it really is a nice place to go to school.l If you have any questions just let me know

PMart
Nova clas of 2008

LBS615 said:
I spoke with admissions today and they said they classify everybody as out of state until they review your chart. The woman I spoke with said they review the pharmacy students charts in June. She also said I did give enough info for state residency so I should be fine. I had never heard of Florida only having a limited amount of spots for in state student tuition. That almost seems ilegal to charge you out of state when you are in state. I have two friends who are Canadian and got to Nova but they both classified for in state ( they are 2nd and 4th year) they have lived in florida for a while. My father is one of the VP's at FAU and he did not mention anything like that. He thought it was probably a computer glitch on Nova's part. But if not I am sure if they don't fix it, then he will. :)
You know, I got it confused with the opt program. Don't forget, Nova is a private school. Florida has only one opt school which is why they subsidize a certain amount of students.

Thanks for all the responses! Glad I got it cleared up for now.