nurse manager of clinic LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toastedbutter

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
The clinic I work at has a rotating set of physicians, and of the 10-12 I have worked with most but maybe 30-40 hours max. The nurse manager, however, knows me really well. Is it better to get a LOR from the nurse manager or try for one of the physicians, even if they do not know me that well?

Members don't see this ad.

The clinic I work at has a rotating set of physicians, and of the 10-12 I have worked with most but maybe 30-40 hours max. The nurse manager, however, knows me really well. Is it better to get a LOR from the nurse manager or try for one of the physicians, even if they do not know me that well?
I got a LOR from both my nurse manager and my charge nurse at the hospital I work at because they saw how I interacted with patients and definitely knew me better than any of the physicians. I think it’s important to choose someone who knows you well and can speak highly of the qualities they see in you

You don’t need a clinical letter for most MD schools. There are a few MD schools that want one but I think they want it from a Doc. And of course DO schools like physician letters so…
Maybe try to get a joint letter from the nurse manager and doc if you feel a real need to include a clinical letter at all.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Why not both? Network with a few of the physicians. Maybe tell a few that you’re thinking about applying to medical school and would like to meet if possible to discuss the profession further. I bet at least one may even offer to write a LOR.

Why not both? Network with a few of the physicians. Maybe tell a few that you’re thinking about applying to medical school and would like to meet if possible to discuss the profession further. I bet at least one may even offer to write a LOR.
I do not recommend this.
As stated by @candbgirl, clinical letters are requested by only a tiny handful of MD schools,
A letter from someone whose connection with the applicant is "networking" is especially weak.
What would they say? "Veer and I had a great old chat and I really liked the cut of their jib!"

Reactions: 1 users
I do not recommend this.
As stated by @candbgirl, clinical letters are requested by only a tiny handful of MD schools,
A letter from someone whose connection with the applicant is "networking" is especially weak.
What would they say? "Veer and I had a great old chat and I really liked the cut of their jib!"
I stand corrected. I thought that OP’s initial post said she spends 10-12 hours per week with the docs she works with. I figured that plus a meeting or two would be sufficient for a good LOR but realize it’s 10-12 doctors not hours

Yes so it is a clinic where I have worked as a tech for the last year. I guess I shouldn't even bother with a letter from here? I did not realize a clinical letter was this unimportant, I was going to go with two science LOR, 1 non science LOR, clinical letter and research letter. Should I sub out the clinical for a second research LOR?

Yes so it is a clinic where I have worked as a tech for the last year. I guess I shouldn't even bother with a letter from here? I did not realize a clinical letter was this unimportant, I was going to go with two science LOR, 1 non science LOR, clinical letter and research letter. Should I sub out the clinical for a second research LOR?
Does your school have a committee letter? If so are you using it? If not, why not? Med schools expect committee letters from schools that provide them. No need to sub out the nurse’s letter. Otherwise Four outstanding letters from people that know you well and can speak to your strengths is plenty.

Reactions: 1 user
Does your school have a committee letter? If so are you using it? If not, why not? Med schools expect committee letters from schools that provide them. No need to sub out the nurse’s letter. Otherwise Four outstanding letters from people that know you well and can speak to your strengths is plenty.
We don't have a committee letter, but that sounds good thank you

Reactions: 1 user