Nursery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bean_Bunny

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just got my intern schedule and I will be starting with nursery. Any suggestions on a book/books to use to get ready? Thanks! (PS- I know I'm missing a letter in the title..can't edit lol)

Members don't see this ad.

Newborn or special care? Honestly, to date, I still think the PIR article "Care of the well newborn" is still the best for newborn nursery. For special care nursery (level 2), it's good to get a sense for what qualifies for level 2 vs NICU at your institution. Mine, for instance, takes infants that are at least 800 grams and 28 weeks in level 2. Good things to know are interpreting blood gases in babies (cause in general, you interpret them very differently than anywhere else), and how to run your calculations (cc/kg/day and kcal/kg/day) and what your targets are for growth and maintenance fluid requirements.

Members don't see this ad :)
Show up. Ask lots of questions. but yes, read that PIR article. And one on hyperbili too!

I will second the peds in review article on care of the newborn. Read up on hyperbili management, know how to read the nomograms, know how blood type affects coombs. It may be useful to know what's common at your hospital. We have a lot of uncontrolled diabetes so see kids affected by that. Ask your seniors and Chiefs for help before you get in over your head.

Reactions: 1 user
, If you want something with a little bit more heft to it, but still not a ton, there's a book called baby 411. Its written as a how to guide for parents' first year as is pretty much entirely in line with the AAP recs (written by a Pediatrician). A huge chunk of it is on the newborn and I regurgitated almost all of it to parents on my nursery rotation.