NYCOM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ahh I just called and was very unsuccessful. I think i asked the wrong question though -- I asked if there was any progress or if any decisions had been made regarding the applications from Nov. 11th (that is when I interviewed). Her response was just that she didn't know of any. NOT HELPFUL to a panicing person waiting for the most important news of her life lol! Maybe if someone else wants to call .. ask WHEN they thought there would be a decision? If not, I will try again tomorrow.

Keep us posted! I tried!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh I just called and was very unsuccessful. I think i asked the wrong question though -- I asked if there was any progress or if any decisions had been made regarding the applications from Nov. 11th (that is when I interviewed). Her response was just that she didn't know of any. NOT HELPFUL to a panicing person waiting for the most important news of her life lol! Maybe if someone else wants to call .. ask WHEN they thought there would be a decision? If not, I will try again tomorrow.

Keep us posted! I tried!

I called and asked if any decisions had been made on any files yet and she said no, not yet. Whatttttttttttttt is taking so longggg?!?!?!?

Okay now the next person who calls should only ask WHEN decisions might be made, this way we aren't too redundant?? I really need to know soon :(

PS: Hokie06, I may not see you at Touro tomorrow... I may cancel my interview.

haha I cancelled mine last Friday! I will try to give them a call during my lunch break guys and find out when!

I also called in the afternoon. I asked when adcom would be meeting and she said that they haven't told her anything yet, which means that they do usually tell her. She also said that it will probably be very soon, like either this week or next. I told her I would call back on friday.

awesome~ I can't believe its taking this long to hear back from them. :-( I got a deposit due on the 18th. It would totally stink if I have to drop $1500. Hopefully we will hear back soon... :-(

awesome~ I can't believe its taking this long to hear back from them. :-( I got a deposit due on the 18th. It would totally stink if I have to drop $1500. Hopefully we will hear back soon... :-(

I second that. I have an interview in FL on Tuesday the 9th and then in Erie on Thursday the 11th!!! (NSU-COM and LECOM-E, respectively) I'd really like to hear something so that I can cancel Erie (I hate snow).

But u live in NY! We should be used to it! Haha NSU and erie are both excellent schools! It sounds like a win win situation!

I second that. I have an interview in FL on Tuesday the 9th and then in Erie on Thursday the 11th!!! (NSU-COM and LECOM-E, respectively) I'd really like to hear something so that I can cancel Erie (I hate snow).
I'm in the same boat. Nova this Friday, Erie on the 11th. Guess I'll see you there.

Ah same ... west virginia on the 8th. I really wish we would hear something or that they could be more definitive about a date.

good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck guys, I'm sure you will all do great :thumbup:

i really hope we hear by the end of the week, i got a depost due at NSU on the 15th.. they should take that in to consideration.

But u live in NY! We should be used to it! Haha NSU and erie are both excellent schools! It sounds like a win win situation!

Hahahah yeah I should be used to it, except that LI is a lot different from Erie... When I called their admissions a couple of weeks ago to ask about flying there, she told me they had already gotten two feet of snow!!!! YUCK!!! I wouldn't want to have to dig out my car for class every day :rolleyes:

If I get into NYCOM, I'd rather go there than Erie because of the living conditions. Plus going back home to LI from Erie is a pain in the butt. You have to take a tiny plane to either Pittsburgh or Buffalo, and then fly back, or drive for 9 hrs lol. However, I really like NSU so I definitely would not cancel that interview. Anyway, good luck everyone and I hope we all get in!!!

Hahahah yeah I should be used to it, except that LI is a lot different from Erie... When I called their admissions a couple of weeks ago to ask about flying there, she told me they had already gotten two feet of snow!!!! YUCK!!! I wouldn't want to have to dig out my car for class every day :rolleyes:

If I get into NYCOM, I'd rather go there than Erie because of the living conditions. Plus going back home to LI from Erie is a pain in the butt. You have to take a tiny plane to either Pittsburgh or Buffalo, and then fly back, or drive for 9 hrs lol. However, I really like NSU so I definitely would not cancel that interview. Anyway, good luck everyone and I hope we all get in!!!

What about price? Erie is so much less expensive, both in tuition and definitely living expenses. I'm from LI too and hate the high cost of living around here.

Plus aren't you sick of LI? I know I am

What about price? Erie is so much less expensive, both in tuition and definitely living expenses. I'm from LI too and hate the high cost of living around here.

Plus aren't you sick of LI? I know I am

No no no I love Long Island. I know it's expensive but it's beautiful and I really do love it. But I would like to try something new, that's why I'm hoping to get into NSU-COM. I hate the snow with a passion so the cost of living at Erie does not beat out the living conditions, not for me.

No no no I love Long Island. I know it's expensive but it's beautiful and I really do love it. But I would like to try something new, that's why I'm hoping to get into NSU-COM. I hate the snow with a passion so the cost of living at Erie does not beat out the living conditions, not for me.

Cost is definitely an issue with NYCOM, but you can't beat the hospitals you rotate at in New York City.:bow:

Too bad the library isn't open 24 hours, we could just live there. I'm sure they have a shower in there somewhere

i really hope we hear by the end of the week, i got a depost due at NSU on the 15th.. they should take that in to consideration.

I feel for you buddy. I have a deposit due on the 18th at VCOM. I really want to come back home for school. I've been away for almost 7 years now :(

See I love the snow (and so does my jeep) so erie wouldn't be a problem with me. Plus those housing prices in erie were just :eek: compared to LI (in a good way)

guys I just called the admissions office and they told me decisions will be made in the next few weeks.. :-(

So, i just called... and no decisions have been made, and the lady on the phone said that they will be sending out decisions in the next couple of weeks.. that's insanity!! i think im going to cry if i have to drop a 1500$ deposit b/c of how slow NYCOM is!!!! At the end of the week, it will be exactly a month since i was interviewed..

guys I just called the admissions office and they told me decisions will be made in the next few weeks.. :-(
hahah we must've called at the same time.. they must be getting quite annoyed.. hehe

HaHa yea I think I was after you. They put me on hold as soon as I called lol. The next person that calls should ask if they will give us a call of our acceptance. It seems like they did that several times last year but mostly by snail mail.

According to last year's thread, people were already receiving their acceptance letters... how could the adcom not have met yet? this will literally take weeks.. :mad::eyebrow::bang::annoyed::shrug: (lol, im going crazy!! and plus im really bored at work)

According to last year's thread, people were already receiving their acceptance letters... how could the adcom not have met yet? this will literally take weeks.. :mad::eyebrow::bang::annoyed::shrug: (lol, im going crazy!! and plus im really bored at work)

I think they're just saying "the next few weeks" because they are sick of us calling lol but seriously this is taking way too long. I really think it's going to be this week or the following. I really hope so anyway. :xf:

adcoms are busy writing our first neuro test... lol

Anyone know what tuition is at nycom?

Very, very high lol and there is no break for in-staters. The financial aid packet from Interview Day stated that for year one of the Class of 2012, tuition (plus fees) was 48,000+ and increases each year. This does not include board/living expenses.

a friend of mine from NYCOM said that adcoms have been really busy and havent met to discuss anyone who has already been interviewed.. so get those checks out to write the deposits!

aw man.. I'm going to try to wait until next Tuesday.. if I don't hear anything looks like I will be writing as well .. :'(

Very, very high lol and there is no break for in-staters. The financial aid packet from Interview Day stated that for year one of the Class of 2012, tuition (plus fees) was 48,000+ and increases each year. This does not include board/living expenses.

yikes, igeuss that decides it, I am going to UMDNJ

oh wow, I didn't realize that was excluding housing >.< ... are you sure about that futuredrandwife? I thought they said in the interview session that it included the cost of living as well

oh wow, I didn't realize that was excluding housing >.< ... are you sure about that futuredrandwife? I thought they said in the interview session that it included the cost of living as well

Unfortunately that amount is just the tuition. With COL it jumps to like 68-70k. Ouch :eek:

Thats pretty ridiculous.

It's high, but certainly not out of range of other private medical schools in the area.

For example:
School of Medicine Class of 2012
Estimated Costs
Tuition and Fees $43,976
Books And Supplies $1,200
Room and Board $10,000
Personal
$3,600
Health Insurance* $3,500

TOTAL $62,276
http://www.med.nyu.edu/medicaldegree/fees/

That's NYU's cost of attendance. As you can see it's pretty close to ours. :) The biggest problem with DO schools is that most of them are part of private institutions and most don't give out significant scholarships.

48k without living expenses/housing? NYCOM is expensive but isn't it more like 39?

I will take a look at the brochure when I get home today and let you guys know the cost exactly for each year

That's where I got it. For the class of 2012, this is the four year tuition projection WITHOUT living expenses/board (does include health insurance):

Yr one: $48,183
Yr two: $50,457
Yr three: $53,584
Yr four: $57,813

...So I called the school again. The committee HAS met and HAS started to send out letters today and will continue to do so tomorrow. It's crunch time guys!! Start praying and checking those mailboxes. Oh, and I tried very hard to get them to tell me my status but niether Taryn nor the lady at the admissions desk would budge.

!!! Thanks Wilson you are awesome!!! I'm getting antsy now hahahah
Tell me about it...this is definitely the most stressfull and nervewrecking part of the entire process. Good luck everyone.

my anxiety level just rose in a matter of seconds! now im freaking out.

good luck everyone!

thanks drwilson.

They told us at my interview yesterday that they're going to get the decisions out for everyone who interviewed through this week by christmas.