NYCOM Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
NYCOM got my application on 9/24 (email acknowledgment ) and evals around oct 15. I honestly was expecting a secondary but I have received no call or email; is anyone in the same position.

28r
science gpa 3.6
AO: 3.5

It depends, are you in state or out of state? If you are out of state do not expect anything for another month or so. Last year I was one of the first out of state-rs to interview and it was already a 1-2 months into the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeh, the interview was pretty chill.. i think it went well.. i was suprised to have been interview by a PhD... he was cool..

i was the chick in the pink shirt and the black skirt suit..

who were you?

Tourniquet,

Was the PhD's name Dr. Kurt Amsler? If so he is one of the nicest guys there!

Well it could be for a number of reasons. I mean obviously a ton of people are in the same position as you. Look at last years thread and you'll see a number of people who were probably the first to submit, got interviews mid way through, and accepted no problem. Looks like your stats are good, so i'm banking for you.

I was the only person in the group not wearing a black suit...lol. Hope that didn't single me out for the worst!!

Okay so I've officially been invited to interview. I called them up and the only dates the woman had were January 13th and 14th, neither of which I would be around for. She said they didn't have any available spots earlier and they haven't started scheduling spots later than that.

Way to have choices :thumbup:

Oh well, at least I got the invite, and have at least two months to fill out the secondary.

If anyone cancels their appointments post away :D

Okay so I've officially been invited to interview. I called them up and the only dates the woman had were January 13th and 14th, neither of which I would be around for. She said they didn't have any available spots earlier and they haven't started scheduling spots later than that.

Way to have choices :thumbup:

Oh well, at least I got the invite, and have at least two months to fill out the secondary.

If anyone cancels their appointments post away :D
You got mone? I'd love an invite there.

Last edited:
2.7 overall gpa
2.7 science gpa
3.4 one year med post bac gpa
10B, 10P, 9V
Live 10 min From NYCOM
NYCOM Received my App end of August

Do I have a realistic shot of getting an interview from NYCOM?

Members don't see this ad :)
I also had Leheste, he was very nice and we had a pretty cool discussion about the conflict between the US and Russia. He is very knowledgable and I believe he heads up the neuroscience research at NYCOM.

I also had Leheste, he was very nice and we had a pretty cool discussion about the conflict between the US and Russia. He is very knowledgable and I believe he heads up the neuroscience research at NYCOM.

Dr Leheste is a great professor :) Glad to hear you guys had a good interview and hope you all get some good news soon from NYCOM!

2.7 overall gpa
2.7 science gpa
3.4 one year med post bac gpa
10B, 10P, 9V
Live 10 min From NYCOM
NYCOM Received my App end of August

Do I have a realistic shot of getting an interview from NYCOM?

Your MCAT is above the average at NYCOM (27) but your GPA is lower (3.5-3.6). In my personal opinion it's going to depend on your other application items such as personal statement, EC's, LORs, etc.

If you don't hear back from NYCOM in a month or so, send an update letter or a letter of intent. It was very very competitive last year and hardly anyone got off the waitlist. This year it's expected to be even more competitive due to a spike in applications. Good luck!

were you the first one who was interviewed that day?

My primary was submitted 3 weeks ago and I still haven't heard anything. My stats are pretty average for the school (27, 3.7+). Is this normal?

I heard they don't necessarily need LOR's to send secondary/interview invite, so I haven't sent them yet. Someone please correct me if I mistaken.

Thank you.

My thoughts, exactly. I thought I was missing something, since it seems unfathomable to risk a sure thing on a maybe for $2K. If you have to apply again next year, it wouldn't be fun to have to spend that same $2K on apps and traveling. Ugh.

The funny thing is that I came away from the NYCOM interview leaning more towards Touro-NY. I waited a couple of days before I wrote my review to see if the feeling I came away from the school with remains. NYCOM is a great school but I wasn't really impressed with it. The students seem nice and warm but one can easily get lost in such a large class size. The lecture hall was a massive auditorium and I don't think I can sit there all day without getting drowned by the crowd or pay attention to the lecture.

Secondly, the administrative staff weren't really as friendly as Touro-NY in my opinion. The Phd interviewers were very nice though.Thirdly, the technology was nice but needs a **** improvement. The anatomy lab was ok but I've seen better. If I'm gonna be hanging around with a corpse all day, I might as well be in a comfortable environment.

Finally, I didn't think the tuition was worth what they were providing. They have good rotation sites but they also share some of these with Ross and SGU students. So I don't think it's a great edge.
NYCOM's strength comes from its students. They produce great match list each year but I think these students will do fine in any school they are in.

One caveat: The guy I interviewed with came away with the opposite feeling. He was impressed with NYCOM and didn't like Touro-NY. Different strokes I guess!

I will be sending my deposit to Touro-NY. Goodluck everyone !

Yes tourniquette I was the first...I think they went in order of who came first and signed in. Glad they did that because I had a physics test that afternoon.

Yes tourniquette I was the first...I think they went in order of who came first and signed in. Glad they did that because I had a physics test that afternoon.
how long were u in the room with him for, i interviewed right after you.

also, does anyone know how the acceptances are sent.. e-mail, snail mail, phone call? I'm already getting quite antsy!!:scared:

Woo hoo cancellation = me interviewing on December 3rd, afternoon session. Anyone else there at that time?

how long were u in the room with him for, i interviewed right after you.

also, does anyone know how the acceptances are sent.. e-mail, snail mail, phone call? I'm already getting quite antsy!!:scared:

Usually phone call with a letter sent as well :)

anyone know where you can find NYCOM's matchlist?

Usually phone call with a letter sent as well :)

i never got a phone call, but i called myself exactly a week later because i was antsy... snail mail followed shortly thereafter

i never got a phone call, but i called myself exactly a week later because i was antsy... snail mail followed shortly thereafter
so you called a week later and they told you were in, or that no decision was yet available?

wow. the 2008 matchlist looks incredible

The funny thing is that I came away from the NYCOM interview leaning more towards Touro-NY. I waited a couple of days before I wrote my review to see if the feeling I came away from the school with remains. NYCOM is a great school but I wasn't really impressed with it. The students seem nice and warm but one can easily get lost in such a large class size. The lecture hall was a massive auditorium and I don't think I can sit there all day without getting drowned by the crowd or pay attention to the lecture.

Secondly, the administrative staff weren't really as friendly as Touro-NY in my opinion. The Phd interviewers were very nice though.Thirdly, the technology was nice but needs a **** improvement. The anatomy lab was ok but I've seen better. If I'm gonna be hanging around with a corpse all day, I might as well be in a comfortable environment.

Finally, I didn't think the tuition was worth what they were providing. They have good rotation sites but they also share some of these with Ross and SGU students. So I don't think it's a great edge.
NYCOM's strength comes from its students. They produce great match list each year but I think these students will do fine in any school they are in.

i was initially concerned about the class size as well. funny things happen though when you start medical school... we spend so much time together during the first block, it's pretty easy to make friends and meet new people. there are a ton of clubs and the second years do an excellent job of promoting them and recruiting us into getting involved. if you're not a more outgoing person, this could potentially be a problem -- but i think this would be a problem at ANY school, not just NYCOM.

the lecture halls are large, yes, but the first 6 weeks of school is lecture heavy and you do spend a lot of time in lecture, there is no way around it. you'd be surprised how quickly you get used to it, and in fact, the vast majority of students are focusing and it is not the case that students talk and disrupt.

i personally think the anatomy is set up well. there are 7-8 students per cadaver, and are laid out such that at any given time, you are not dissecting next to another group. furthermore, the groups are split so that only half the groups are dissecting on a given day. during the first half of the lab, one half of your group (you + 2-3 other people) will do the dissection, then the rest of your group members (3-4 more people) come in and you finish dissecting and teach them what you've found. for the next lab, the roles are reversed. the anatomy labs are also open late at night, especially during the week leading up to exams so you have time to review. i personally don't think anything is lacking and think the anatomy faculty is very helpful, more than enough bodies, equipment, sinks, lockers downstairs, etc.

the rotation sites you spoke about -- its not just NYCOM students sharing those sites w Ross or SGU, but nearly every other medical school in the NYC metro area as well. bottom line is that there are a lot of medical schools in the area, and to some degree there is competition for rotations. that's simply the nature of NYC.

but if you have any specific questions about the school, feel free to ask. good luck everyone!

i was initially concerned about the class size as well. funny things happen though when you start medical school... we spend so much time together during the first block, it's pretty easy to make friends and meet new people. there are a ton of clubs and the second years do an excellent job of promoting them and recruiting us into getting involved. if you're not a more outgoing person, this could potentially be a problem -- but i think this would be a problem at ANY school, not just NYCOM.

the lecture halls are large, yes, but the first 6 weeks of school is lecture heavy and you do spend a lot of time in lecture, there is no way around it. you'd be surprised how quickly you get used to it, and in fact, the vast majority of students are focusing and it is not the case that students talk and disrupt.

i personally think the anatomy is set up well. there are 7-8 students per cadaver, and are laid out such that at any given time, you are not dissecting next to another group. furthermore, the groups are split so that only half the groups are dissecting on a given day. during the first half of the lab, one half of your group (you + 2-3 other people) will do the dissection, then the rest of your group members (3-4 more people) come in and you finish dissecting and teach them what you've found. for the next lab, the roles are reversed. the anatomy labs are also open late at night, especially during the week leading up to exams so you have time to review. i personally don't think anything is lacking and think the anatomy faculty is very helpful, more than enough bodies, equipment, sinks, lockers downstairs, etc.

the rotation sites you spoke about -- its not just NYCOM students sharing those sites w Ross or SGU, but nearly every other medical school in the NYC metro area as well. bottom line is that there are a lot of medical schools in the area, and to some degree there is competition for rotations. that's simply the nature of NYC.

but if you have any specific questions about the school, feel free to ask. good luck everyone!

i must agree with my friend here... i don't want to sound like a nycom fanboy, but i remember last year around the same time there were a few threads about students frustrated with nycom so i don't think it's uncalled for to state how i think the school is great and as long as you work hard you will succeed and get a lot out of it. most of our faculty are great and approachable.

i personally have almost no issues with nycom and am very happy with my choice.

I can definitely see where you are coming from.Eudjinn gave me quite a few pointers privately also. I haven't officially withdrawn my application.Not even sure they'll accept me but as of now I'm 80% leaning towards Touro-NY. Of course, a lot can happen from now till January........Thanks for your input.

I was in there for about 15-20 mins. you?
the same.. it would have been less.. but then i asked him about his research.. and he talked about a bit about that. he said.. don't worry if you feel the interview was short.. i had concrete questions for you and you answered them directly, so don't worry.. im like ok.. lol and that was the end of that. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I can definitely see where you are coming from.Eudjinn gave me quite a few pointers privately also. I haven't officially withdrawn my application.Not even sure they'll accept me but as of now I'm 80% leaning towards Touro-NY. Of course, a lot can happen from now till January........Thanks for your input.
i would check out NYCOM's matchlist before you make your decision
pdf.gif
NYCOM2008.pdf (69.1 KB, 224 views)
pdf.gif
NYCOM2007.pdf (67.3 KB, 49 views)

no sweat. good luck to you wherever you end up! :thumbup:

My primary was submitted 3 weeks ago and I still haven't heard anything. My stats are pretty average for the school (27, 3.7+). Is this normal?

I heard they don't necessarily need LOR's to send secondary/interview invite, so I haven't sent them yet. Someone please correct me if I mistaken.

Thank you.

rennykim,

I did send the LORs, I thought their email said to send them in. The emai came after I submitted the primary and basically told me I won't have to do a secondary unless I get an interview.

so i got really antsy and called NYCOM, but there are no updates for those who interviewed last week... :( i dont want to wait!!!!!!

I interviewed yesterday and I thought everything went really well! Hoping for some good news too!! :)

really?? who were you if you dont mind me asking??? I was the asian guy from Virginia Tech! did you get interviewed by Dr. Blazey?

no i was interviewed in the afternoon session by dr. beatty. i was the girl in the black suit with the blue shirt.

really?? who were you if you dont mind me asking??? I was the asian guy from Virginia Tech! did you get interviewed by Dr. Blazey?
i think i met you at the NSU interview.. but it could have been another asian guy from Virginia tech.. :rolleyes:

Thank you.

Don't worry if you don't hear from NYCOM yet if you are out of state. If instaters are interviewing now (start of Nov) then out of staters usually get called in the month after. Hope you hear something soon :)