Odds for a white applicant applying to Howard or Meharry dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I definitely will not prolong this, but I am majorly curious. If "a person" with superior gpa/DAT applied to a number of schools at least twice and, apparently, was rejected by each of them, including MMC, as I assume "GoingToSchool" probably did, what rationale did such an applicant use to explain such failure to be accepted from each of these schools?
I am assuming such "a person" would have applied to at least 5-10 schools each year (10-20 trys?). I am also assuming that "such a person" was finally accepted to what he/she felt was a "much better" school. (I'm very happy for "such person", really.) I'd like to know how "an example student" is doing academically, and how accepted is "this person" by peers and faculty/staff? If you don't mind would you let us mere mortals (oops, excuse me.) know what fine school you are attending. It definitely must be one of the very best (What ever that is.). Will such a student be going back home to Dominica? I know there is a need there. I think there are several MMC grads there who can help you get situated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hmmmm.... who's trolling now? Might be that you don't have a MMC problem, but a "you" problem?
There's a big world out there, that extends beyond you, and your stats. MMC feel like they have to select students to fulfill a social mission, using criteria that differ from the norm. As long as their graduates pass the boards, who cares how they got there?
I'm sorry dude, just like that girl who didn't want to go to prom with you, MMC wasn't as impressed with you as you are with yourself. Just move on?
Lol like the girl that didn't want to go to prom with me? How do i even take you seriously?

I applied two times but the first time i applied late. There's no trolling there. Lighten up please

I definitely will not prolong this, but I am majorly curious. If "a person" with superior gpa/DAT applied to a number of schools at least twice and, apparently, was rejected by each of them, including MMC, as I assume "GoingToSchool" probably did, what rationale did such an applicant use to explain such failure to be accepted from each of these schools?
I am assuming such "a person" would have applied to at least 5-10 schools each year (10-20 trys?). I am also assuming that "such a person" was finally accepted to what he/she felt was a "much better" school. (I'm very happy for "such person", really.) I'd like to know how "an example student" is doing academically, and how accepted is "this person" by peers and faculty/staff? If you don't mind would you let us mere mortals (oops, excuse me.) know what fine school you are attending. It definitely must be one of the very best (What ever that is.). Will such a student be going back home to Dominica? I know there is a need there. I think there are several MMC grads there who can help you get situated.
I applied late in December and that was my very own fault. Knowing it was late I only applied to my in state schools.

I have multiple acceptances at schools now and I'll let you know what school it is once a decision has been made.

And yes, I do plan on going to the Dominican Republic when I graduate to help once I have relinquished my student loans. Not only the D.R. but communities in the southern states were there are shortages of dentists.

Members don't see this ad :)
Then we both will have met our goals. Congratulations for the acceptances. All is well, and things usually work out for the best.
Good luck and good fortune in your dental career.
Old-Timer

Reactions: 1 user
Well after reading this thread I won't be applying to meharry! (lowercase)

Just curious, what was it about this thread that discouraged you to apply?

Probably because they are white or Asian and don't want to apply to a school where they are openly discriminated against. Oh, and the fact that few people want to be associated with a school that clearly has the lowest calibre of students...all in the name of equality. Look up Saida Grundy. Her view seems to be consistent with your school's view.

I definitely will look up Dr. Grundy. Maybe she can give me, and you, some helpful insight and assistance on this issue. I need the help because, for the life of me, I can't understand how people can express the negatives about a school that does sooo much so sooo many different groups. I surmise that such persons have bought into the notion that standardized tests somehow really indicate something specific in terms of absolute quality. You may not know that the DAT was once called an "aptitude" test until it was found to have no such quality. Now it is an "admissions" test! Many school are dropping it altogether in favor of "wholistic" admissions criteria. (Which MMC has been doing for decades.) The test just gives a set of numbers that can be used as reference, like how old are you !!
I'll let you know if I hear from Dr. Grundy.

I decided to not get anyone else involved in this "controversy". It was late night when I made the prior post. It's day now and I don't want to try to make more of this than necessary. I'll leave it at," ALL schools have a focused mission and history". Some are historically for female ("7 Sisters"), some for Catholics (N.D., Catholic Univ.), some for specific religious denominations, some for in-state, some for regions, some for big profits, some for prestige, some for Native Americans, some for Jews, some for Asians, some for Hispanics, over 3000 for the " predominant culture", some for men, some for high academic achievers, some for disadvantaged, some for handicapped...... You get the picture. And there are 100 tiny undergrad schools, 4 med schools (2 historic), and 2 dental schools that historically accepted African-American students, when they were not ALLOWed to attend anywhere else. NOT ONE of the historically Black schools EVER had part of its charter or mission or practice to deny admission to a student on the basis of race, creed, religion, national origin, or previous condition of servitude (Slaves !!!). If you know this to be untrue, please correct me. In my 71 years I've yet to see it. I don't want to fight anymore.