# of interviews to "possibly" gain an admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Number of interviews should one go to possibly expect an admission.

• Total voters
Statistics is not like that sadly. If you know a little about probability your chances of acceptance conditional that you have an interview are not independent from one another. In other words if you're a meathead and bomb all your interviews you are the one factor that's connected between all of the schools interviewing you, and they aren't gonna all give you 56%, 47%, and 68% chance of acceptance like flipping a coin or something, they'll probably reject you for bombing it.

I am sorry but in good conscience I cannot let people think they have a 92.5% chance if offered 3 interviews then completely fail to prepare for them properly.
Yes, based on conditional probability you have 92% chance of acceptance BEFORE YOU INTERVIEW.
However, the act of interviewing changes those conditional probabilities. So AFTER YOU INTERVIEW at all 3 schools, you're chance of acceptance IS NOT 92.5%. NO ONE KNOWS WHAT IT IS until you get an INFORMATION UPDATE, in this case, it's a acceptance or rejection letter.

yep, I understand your point thus i make this thread to see what other people think.

yet, some people come in and ask me why I make this thread. smh.

Members don't see this ad.

I just voted to see the results, and I thought it was surprising that most people vote 3 interviews. I think at least 4-5+

I am sorry but in good conscience I cannot let people think they have a 92.5% chance if offered 3 interviews then completely fail to prepare for them properly.
Yes, based on conditional probability you have 92% chance of acceptance BEFORE YOU INTERVIEW.
However, the act of interviewing changes those conditional probabilities. So AFTER YOU INTERVIEW at all 3 schools, you're chance of acceptance IS NOT 92.5%. NO ONE KNOWS WHAT IT IS until you get an INFORMATION UPDATE, in this case, it's a acceptance or rejection letter.

So, for Texas, get three interviews and don't insult the mother of your interviewer and you have a decent shot.

*The numbers don't differentiate between IS and OOS, nor interview ability, etc*

:p

Members don't see this ad :)
Hahah I guess I was imprudent in reading the post, mainly just the 92% figure. Dem fine prints always gets ya!
Not a problem and I definitely agree with your post, you can't really put a number on chances when there's a human element involved (interviews).

But, at the end of the day, Texas has roughly 300 seats and they interview roughly ~450 unique applicants (lots of crossover obviously.) So, for Texas, it's safe to say getting 3 interviews greatly increases your chances. Obviously.