OFF CYCLE Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TN ACCORD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Members,

I am currently a 4th yr student and will only finish at the end of August of 2014. I did not fail my boards or any part of boards or get in trouble. I got sick which pretty much put me past the match date for using the match. I plan on doing a DO residency in IM. Basically I am asking for some help an guidance on how to find these supposed off cycle programs and basically what to say to them when I do contact them. My school is of little help.

In the end i need some help finding a program that will accept off cycle new residents or am I destined to just apply for the match next year.

Members don't see this ad.

I was in a similar position where I was originally CO 2013 but wouldn't finish until November. My delay was due to boards. In my case, I went to several residency fairs - this was for Family Medicine - and told them about when I was going to graduate, the reason for my delay, and what their thoughts were. Every place I spoke to about being off-cycle recommended against it. They told me that most places fill their spots through the match or via scramble, so if a spot opens up it's often because a student left either because of something like an illness or because the student was extremely unhappy with the program.

Hearing this made me decide to just delay my graduation. It ended up working well for me - I was able to get more study time for step 2 and do much better, and found out today I'm going to my top choice. (YAY!)

That doesn't mean it's impossible. I rotated at one place fourth year that had never filled their last spot, though I'm not entirely sure why. They seemed happy with me during my audition rotation there and it's possible they would have taken me off-cycle with that open spot remaining. My home school also told me they would have happily taken me off-cycle if they had the room (which that year they didn't.)

I'm sorry your school is being unhelpful. Have you tried talking to any program directors of internal medicine residencies - especially ones you want to go to - and see what advice they have?

Reactions: 1 user
I personally don't know of any off-cycle programs. As for other spots opening up, there would be no way to predict where these would be. You could talk to the programs you are most interested in and see what they suggest. You may be better off just waiting until next year, study for Step 2, and enjoy some time off.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're probably more likely to find an ACGME IM residency program 'off cycle' mostly due to the larger pool of programs. I agree with the previous poster, though, that you're more likely to get a better program by waiting for next year's Match.

I would delay graduation and just wait until the next match. As someone who was chief resident who had to to scheduling with 3 off cycle interns, it really was hard to make call schedules, etc work so they were fair for everyone. To have some one start fresh in Dec when the rest of the gang has had 4 months of intern "practice" makes it hard for both the new intern and the attendings who have to switch gears in their teaching and have "july mind" in Dec for the newbie. Just make life easier for everyone, take the 6 months to have a break, study for boards, and be in line with the rest of the crew in July.

Yeah, but I meant like if I finish my 4th year rotations July 15th or July 30th, would I wait a whole year and apply for the following Match or would a program let me start a few weeks/month later and that time would just count as my vacation time or whatever? Not sure how it works

Due to family issues and failing an exam, I am behind on rotations and will not be done with my rotations 4th year until June 15th or July 15th of my graduating year. My school lets me graduate with my class as long as you pass all your boards (Level 1, 2CE & PE) and rotations by December of your graduating year. t I wanted to know if I can apply to residency programs with my class and potentially start that July, a few weeks later (if I finish July 15th)?

I didn't want to just waste a whole year doing nothing and applying for residency one year after if I don't have to... I didn't want to get another degree for no reason or do research as I don't really enjoy it and I have years of research experience from undergrad and did summer research internship after my first year of medical school. I really hope to start residency with my class if possible?

Thanks for your help everyone as I'm sure someone has been in this situation before...

Dear Members,

I am currently a 4th yr student and will only finish at the end of August of 2014. I did not fail my boards or any part of boards or get in trouble. I got sick which pretty much put me past the match date for using the match. I plan on doing a DO residency in IM. Basically I am asking for some help an guidance on how to find these supposed off cycle programs and basically what to say to them when I do contact them. My school is of little help.

In the end i need some help finding a program that will accept off cycle new residents or am I destined to just apply for the match next year.

Wait until next years match. Either delay graduation or do research in the meantime. You'll find a better spot than the crap left over after the match

Due to family issues and failing an exam, I am behind on rotations and will not be done with my rotations 4th year until June 15th or July 15th of my graduating year. My school lets me graduate with my class as long as you pass all your boards (Level 1, 2CE & PE) and rotations by December of your graduating year. t I wanted to know if I can apply to residency programs with my class and potentially start that July, a few weeks later (if I finish July 15th)?

I didn't want to just waste a whole year doing nothing and applying for residency one year after if I don't have to... I didn't want to get another degree for no reason or do research as I don't really enjoy it and I have years of research experience from undergrad and did summer research internship after my first year of medical school. I really hope to start residency with my class if possible?

Thanks for your help everyone as I'm sure someone has been in this situation before...

Is it June or July? That will make a world of difference

Most likely July 15th and I want to do family medicine. I guess I can try and work weekends and see if I can make up those days before July 1st. However, in the chance I am not allowed to, then I would finish sometime in July and I know most programs start July 1st. So yeah I was just wondering if someone had a similar situation and how they handled it.

Last edited:
Most likely July 15th and I want to do family medicine. I guess I can try and work weekends and see if I can make up those days before July 1st. However, in the chance I am not allowed to, then I would finish sometime in July and I know most programs start July 1st. So yeah I was just wondering if someone had a similar situation and how they handled it.

You really need to do everything you possibly can to be eligible for a July 1 start date.

Reactions: 1 user
Agreed. Do whatever you can to finish in June. Talk with your school.