Offer from Non-Match Dental School: Do I have to withdraw from Match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bone_Thugs420

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My question relates specifically to the 2014-2015 ortho programs cycle, and I haven't seen this addressed here yet.

*IF* I received an offer for an orthodontics residency spot at a non-match school very early in the cycle, but I still have somewhere like ten other schools lined up to interview with, does accepting the offer from that early school mean I would have to withdraw from match an not go check out those other programs?

I have heard both sides, but I'm not sure what you are/are not, forced to do in that situation.

Obviously I would like to accept that early offer, and still be able to go and interview at any subsequent programs that I am interested in. Then drop the deposit or whatever if one of those subsequent schools seemed way better.

I know, I know, I'm a selfish jerk. et cetera, et cetera. We can skip that part.

But for reals guys, what's the 411?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Bumping my thread a bit ladies and Gents.

I really need to know the answer to this question, because..... let's just say a "friend" of mine is in this very position.

At this point I would even accept pure speculation or conjecture. You don't actually have to know the answer to reply.

Speculation only here, but I'm betting you have to either commit to this one and forget about the other MATCH programs, or roll the dice and say no to this offer to see if you match somewhere you like better. I know if it was me I would take the offer and run. Ortho is competitive and I think you'd regret more not matching at all than going somewhere that may not be your top choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Take the non-match offer. It's guaranteed, the others aren't. Why gamble?

Personally, if its a good program that teaches the full scope of what is required to be a competent orthodontist, I'd take it. Match seems like such an elusive process that we have to trust in, for the sake of achieving our dreams, but if a program likes you that much, why risk it?

Thanks for the musings guys. You've certainly given me a lot to think about.

Don't worry, it's nothing that 6...or possibly 7 beers won't fix!

(on a sunday evening)