**Official 2024 Ortho PASS/Interviews/Match/Non-Match**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Very affordable. Modern clinics. Good relationships with other departments in the school. Experienced faculty. Good didactic background.
DM’ed you 🙂

Members don't see this ad.

can you clarify what makes it top tiered?
1. 100% agree with what the above person listed - on top of them, the name value in ortho world is phenomenal because of Burstone Biomechanics. Most of faculties if not all were trained under Burstone, so the program is known for teaching in depth Burstone technique in addition to others, not just heavily focusing on any particular philosophy like Tweed's.
2. UConn takes one out of four(I think?) on average of their own preceptors every year.
3. I think location is what makes it somewhat undesirable though, especially to those coming from the West coast or larger cities.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone !

My friend got accepted into the ortho program at Jacksonville University. Is anyone familiar with the curriculum of this program ?

There are some discrepancies on the website, is the program 24 or 27 months ?

Or did anyone also get accepted and perhaps we can chat ? Thank you !

Anyone here know if the case western ortho fellowship program is available for GPs or is it only for international orthos?

Hey guys!!
For everyone who matched! Congratulations 🎉 and for those that didn’t, keep your heads up! It’s a matter of time until you match and start you dream of becoming an orthodontist. I didn’t match last year and embraced it as part of longer journey and see where I’m at now! Matched to my top school 🎉🎉

Since I’ve got plenty of free time in my hands I thought why not utilize it to prep for residency. So if anyone has any advice on how to do that, please share it with us.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi yall! I didn't match this year, but I'm going to apply again. I'm re-working my personal statement and wanted to see what others thought. I focused highly on my Air Force career and why my experiences would translate to being successful in a residency/what I would bring to a program. But I'm re-reading it and I'm thinking it's too wordy (2 pages) and just re-states what's in a lot of my cv/application. For those that got accepted, could you give pointers on how you directed your personal statement?
Also, does anyone know if there is a new thread to join for the new application cycle? I couldn't find anything. Thanks!

Hi yall! I didn't match this year, but I'm going to apply again. I'm re-working my personal statement and wanted to see what others thought. I focused highly on my Air Force career and why my experiences would translate to being successful in a residency/what I would bring to a program. But I'm re-reading it and I'm thinking it's too wordy (2 pages) and just re-states what's in a lot of my cv/application. For those that got accepted, could you give pointers on how you directed your personal statement?
Also, does anyone know if there is a new thread to join for the new application cycle? I couldn't find anything. Thanks!
I discussed why my experiences led me to orthodontics and how it aligns with my personal and professional philosophies (which is something I learned after working in general dentistry after school).

As for if there is a new thread, that probably won't get much attention until May 2024 when the new cycle opens up.

Hi guys,

If you have an acceptance letter from JU for a fellowship in Ortho and an acceptance letter from GSO for a residency in Ortho, which one would you choose?
Keep in mind that the JU residency will be 2 years after you finish the fellowship, but you will still have to go through the application cycle again.
What are your thoughts on the JU fellowship without guaranteed admission to residency?

Last edited:
Hi guys,

If you have an acceptance letter from JU for a fellowship in Ortho and an acceptance letter from GSO for a residency in Ortho, which one would you choose?
Keep in mind that the JU residency will be 2 years after you finish the fellowship, but you will still have to go through the application cycle again.

I would probably go with Jacksonville…I’ve met some of their alumni and it seems like they have a solid program. I don’t know anything about GSO except it has a huge class and a huge bill.

I would probably go with Jacksonville…I’ve met some of their alumni and it seems like they have a solid program. I don’t know anything about GSO except it has a huge class and a huge bill.
What are your thoughts on the JU fellowship without guaranteed admission to residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

I'll take the georgia offer. There's no guarantee that you would get into a residency next year. Also, the cost is virtually the same.

Georgia=$300k
Jacksonville= $190,000(for 2 years) + $60,000(for fellowship) = 250,000

To me, there's no considerable difference in prices to risk applying a second time.

I'll take the georgia offer. There's no guarantee that you would get into a residency next year. Also, the cost is virtually the same.

Georgia=$300k

To me, there's no considerable difference in prices to risk applying a second time.
I would take the Georgia offer. It is guaranteed, whereas Jacksonville isn't.

Also, if you do not accept Georgia, I don't believe you will be able to apply to match next year. Correct me if I am wrong.

I would take the Georgia offer. It is guaranteed, whereas Jacksonville isn't.

Also, if you do not accept Georgia, I don't believe you will be able to apply to match next year. Correct me if I am wrong.
If you matched into Georgia and then deny the match then you are prevented from using the match system again. If Georgia was non match I don’t think it matters

Both would be huge bills. The biggest difference is one guarantees that you will become an orthodontist and the other one does not.

Hello everyone. Does anyone know if there are any post match seats available? Thank you so much

Georgia=$300k

Unfortunately, GSO isn't $300k. If GSO were $300k, a lot of people would have matched at GSO.
  • U.S. Resident/ CODA Trained Dental School: $483,000 for all 3 years.
  • U.S. Resident/ Non-CODA Trained Dental School: $567,000 for all 3 years.
  • International Resident: $717,500 for all three years.
On top of this, since people can only take out private loans such as Sallie Mae, the annual interest rate will be at least 10%.

Therefore, the grand total will be at least...
  • U.S. Resident/ CODA Trained Dental School: $642,873 for all 3 years.
  • U.S. Resident/ Non-CODA Trained Dental School: $754,677 for all 3 years.
  • International Resident: $954,993 for all three years.

I'm not even sure whether these numbers represent just tuition or the entire cost of attendance, including room and board.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Unfortunately, GSO isn't $300k. If GSO were $300k, a lot of people would have matched at GSO.
  • U.S. Resident/ CODA Trained Dental School: $483,000 for all 3 years.
  • U.S. Resident/ Non-CODA Trained Dental School: $567,000 for all 3 years.
  • International Resident: $717,500 for all three years.
On top of this, since people can only take out private loans such as Sallie Mae, the annual interest rate will be at least 10%.

Therefore, the grand total will be at least...
  • U.S. Resident/ CODA Trained Dental School: $642,873 for all 3 years.
  • U.S. Resident/ Non-CODA Trained Dental School: $754,677 for all 3 years.
  • International Resident: $954,993 for all three years.

I'm not even sure whether these numbers represent just tuition or the entire cost of attendance, including room and board.
Does anyone know if the $483k include living expenses? or is the $483k only the school costs?

Georgia=$300k

GSO is $565k for school costs only.

GSO is $565k for school costs only.
From the interview trail I never heard of JU not accepting one of their fellows just FYI, and it also has a better reputation AFAIK. If rejecting the GSO offer doesn't violate match I would personally pick the JU fellowship as it gives you another shot at a cheaper/better school while basically being a shoo-in at JU.

I don't understand why people include living expenses. You're gonna have living expenses if you're study or work regardless
Either way, it's a ridiculous amount to pay for tuition. Doesn't surprise me people will still pay it though

Hello everyone. Which private banks provide student loans to cover the residency costs for international students. Thanks

Hello everyone. Which private banks provide student loans to cover the residency costs for international students. Thanks
Sometimes it depends on which school you got accepted to and how much tuition will be. For example, Sallie Mae gives you a maximum of $250 for each loan application. If the total tuition is more than that, you should apply for separate loans each year. For GSO, you should get a separate loan for each year from this company as I heard.

GSO spots are getting filled with rich foreign trained dentists who have been in practice for so many years. And they'll keep increasing the tuition till they get over 50% empty seats which is never going to happen. CTOR academy is GSOs sister program but with limited seats.

GSO spots are getting filled with rich foreign trained dentists who have been in practice for so many years. And they'll keep increasing the tuition till they get over 50% empty seats which is never going to happen. CTOR academy is GSOs sister program but with limited seats.
GSO and CTOR are new programs. Their federal loan will be approved in the near future. Based on my research and inquiries from residents and recent graduates, they have a good program. To be honest, the only thing that matters is that they will give you the orthodontic certificate, making you an orthodontist. We are putting so much effort into the application process, knowing it's not just about qualifications but mostly about connections. I promise that GSO's spot will be filled in the near future in the match. By the way, when NYU costs 465k with the cost of living, I think GSO at 483k is not that much more expensive. GSO is expensive for non-residents or non-CODA graduates. The rumor about GSO is that they are saturating the ortho market, which many people don't like.

Curious.. For those who have applied multiple times: Did you apply to less programs, more programs, the same programs? Did you find that you received interview invites and rejections from the same programs as the previous cycle?
My initial thought process was to apply to the same programs that I interviewed at this year, thinking they'll likely invite me to interview again... and programs that didn't invite me to interview this year, I'm thinking it's more unlikely they'll invite me next cycle so I'll save the $ and not apply again. (and then of course I'll apply to some that I didn't apply to the first time).
What was your experience like applying multiple times..? I appreciate any insight, advice, etc.

Curious.. For those who have applied multiple times: Did you apply to less programs, more programs, the same programs? Did you find that you received interview invites and rejections from the same programs as the previous cycle?
My initial thought process was to apply to the same programs that I interviewed at this year, thinking they'll likely invite me to interview again... and programs that didn't invite me to interview this year, I'm thinking it's more unlikely they'll invite me next cycle so I'll save the $ and not apply again. (and then of course I'll apply to some that I didn't apply to the first time).
What was your experience like applying multiple times..? I appreciate any insight, advice, etc.
Apply to as many and broadly
It only takes one!

Hi guys,
Does anyone know of any experience of students living on campus in the single student residence at UIC, Chicago? How likely is it to get allotted a place there? Is the waiting list too long?
Do you know of other places easily accessible to UIC other than the SSR

I'm in the same boat. My application is changing from last year, and there will be a different pool of applicants this time so I'm still applying to the ones I didn't get interviews from because I feel it's a new year, you never know!

Hey everyone, thoughts for chances? 3.6 GPA(as of now hope to get at least 3.7 or 3.8), 150 verbal, 148 Q, good amount of extracrricular and volunteering and strong letter of recommendations.

Hey everyone, thoughts for chances? 3.6 GPA(as of now hope to get at least 3.7 or 3.8), 150 verbal, 148 Q, good amount of extracrricular and volunteering and strong letter of recommendations.
The GRE isn’t super important, but those scores are really low, less than 50th percentile. If it were me I would take it again. Good luck!!

I would also recommend taking the GRE again. Aim for at least 50th percentile so Verbal: 152+ and QR: 157+ and writing 3.5+. You can def do it!

For ortho residencies, does it matter what school you graduated from for your DDS/DMD? Does the matching algorithm care about the region the applicant resides in?

For ortho residencies, does it matter what school you graduated from for your DDS/DMD? Does the matching algorithm care about the region the applicant resides in?
The matching “algorithm” only takes into account your rankings and the schools rankings