Office dress code poll

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Office dress code for male docs most days of the week

• Suit and tie

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shirt and tie

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Button down shirt, no tie

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Polo shirt, no tie

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Scrubs

Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Other style

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

powermd

Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Every now and then the subject of dress code for male docs comes up in my practice, so I'm curious what everyone else does in their practice. We change it up a little by the season, allowing more leeway during the summer. Please vote on the MOST formal dress code that is routinely followed most days of the week for most of the year.

Members don't see this ad.

I trained at a place that required a suit and tie every day. Scrubs only in the fluoro suite or OR.

Now I wear suit or sports coat without the tie for clinic unless I have a half day of procedures then I'll wear scrubs in clinic.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are three of us in my office with somewhat different ideas for attire. The oldest guy (late 50s) who started the practice likes a button down shirt and tie. The slightly younger guy who joined him mid way likes to keep it casual with a smart-woodsy look (ie plaid or no-iron button down shirts with no ties). I like button down shirts with no tie, or a polo and slacks. Scrubs sure are comfortable, but just don't look as professional to me in an outpatient clinic setting. They look best when you're in the OR setting of a hospital and covering up with a white coat when you consult with patients and family members. There's also a bit of personal identity that gets lost when you wear scrubs all the time, hence the interest in highly personalized OR caps.

I voluntarily wear a tie and white coat most days. It is well-received by the 65+ population and sometimes they comment on it. "Doctors these days are too casual and too rushed" is something I hear often. I've been starting to get some new patients by word-of-mouth so it might be working. (I started seeing patients in August so every new patient still feels like a big deal.)

I do most of my procedures on the same day, and depending on my schedule I may remain in scrubs for the rest of the day.

Scrubs and white coat while seeing patients
Scrubs and lead coat while doing procedures
White coat back on while seeing patients.

Reactions: 1 user
I wear pressed dark blue embroidered scrubs

scrub top and khakis monday thru thursday (1/2 procedures, half clinic). button down, no tie on fridays (all clinic)

ahhh, the ER mullet (scrub top and khakis)

Reactions: 1 users
nice pants and a wool sweater....ties transmit infection, as you know.

Scrubs. My office is a mix of evals, follow-ups and procedures every day. I like wearing pajamas all days.