Official 2008 EM Match ROL Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have now changed my list twice. Why can't I stop tinkering? Anyone else having this problem? So far I've moved my #2 down to #3 and then moved my #4 up to #3. This puts my original #2 now at the #4 slot. My #1 has been solid through the whole mental debating though...

Members don't see this ad.

I have now changed my list twice. Why can't I stop tinkering? Anyone else having this problem? So far I've moved my #2 down to #3 and then moved my #4 up to #3. This puts my original #2 now at the #4 slot. My #1 has been solid through the whole mental debating though...

Duuuuuude, I feel your pain. I've been in constant tinkering mode for a couple weeks now - nothing online but certainly in my head. My #1 has been mostly solid throughout, with my 2-4 spots changing every time I think too long about it...AND NOW I'm beginning to question my 1 for my original 2! :eek::eek::eek:

My #1 is in my hometown with excellent training/reputation and the fit is great (especially since I see myself practicing in the area). But my #2 -which is on the opposite side of the country! - is also great training but with a lesser known reputation in the region I want to end up...but the fit here with the city/residents/faculty was REALLY great and its something completely different from what I'm used to. should this gut feeling and excitement over the thought of something new for the next few years be enough to change my #2 to my #1?? Advice would be much appreciated... :D

my 1-3 is set but I am having some trouble later down the list ... I was wondering what anyone thinks of DMC/sinai grace in michigan. Any information would be so helpful... thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Duuuuuude, I feel your pain. I've been in constant tinkering mode for a couple weeks now - nothing online but certainly in my head. My #1 has been mostly solid throughout, with my 2-4 spots changing every time I think too long about it...AND NOW I'm beginning to question my 1 for my original 2! :eek::eek::eek:

My #1 is in my hometown with excellent training/reputation and the fit is great (especially since I see myself practicing in the area). But my #2 -which is on the opposite side of the country! - is also great training but with a lesser known reputation in the region I want to end up...but the fit here with the city/residents/faculty was REALLY great and its something completely different from what I'm used to. should this gut feeling and excitement over the thought of something new for the next few years be enough to change my #2 to my #1?? Advice would be much appreciated... :D

Totally feel you guys. The decision depends on your priorities, but priorities vary from day to day, it seems. My hubby is also campaigning to to get all 4yr programs out of my ROL, which makes it hard cause I really love one of them....

As for you, it seems like if you want to practice in your hometown, it might be better to do residency there and make some connections. Just a thought.

Here is my ROL- mostly based on location:

1) Highland
2) UCSF-SFGH
3) Davis
4) Stanford
5) Harbor
6) USC
7) UCLA/Oliveview
8) Fresno
9) UCI
10) Loma Linda
11) San Diego
12) Las Vegas
:luck:

My list is done (yay). I was anal and did the spread sheet thing. It is certified-I’m not going to tinker with it any more. Now comes the worst part-waiting (Jeopardy Music in background). Thirty-three days, not counting today until match. Patience is a virtue, not one I possess, but still a virtue.

where is the U of Az on people's lists?

EF- aren't you almost done?

The top 3 were almost coin tosses as to the order.

1. Highland – (+) little more to write that has been written by others, amazing faculty/residents/hospital/pathology, brilliant balance of off service rotations at UCSF, CHO, Kaiser, North Bay, wife loves the area: (-) no real negatives for me, I'm enured to the high COL here and the salary and benefits are quite fitting to the area, 4 years
2. Harbor – (+) again little more to add, acute patients, intelligent and accomplished faculty/residents, given LA's health-care problem there are lessons to be learned here on so many levels, 3 years: (-) compensation leaves more than a little to be desired, COL is high, this kept it #2 for me
3. Denver – (+) this place has earned its legendary status, most talented residents I saw on the trail (R4's), faculty are all basically brilliant if a bit intense, the education they have designed is the best on this list – challenging but well worth the sweat, got along well with the R3's I met: (-) 4 years
4. UC Davis – (+) smart faculty, talented residents, etc., huge catchment with sick patients, excellent balance of off service and community rotations, very productive and interesting research, really enjoyed the personalities, underrated city: (-) residents did not seem as enthusiastic about academia as I would have liked (faculty seemed very supportive), wife not in love with Sacto
5. UCSF/SFGH – (+) SFGH is about as good a county hospital as one can hope to find, high acuity, off service rotations will be of astounding quality (with rare exceptions), Promes has a solid track record and immense infrastructure/resources to work with, tox, will be a center of gravity for EM: (-) new program = uncertainty & turf wars, I didn't like the way they signed out at change of shift
6. UCSD
7. UA
8. UCLA/OV – 4 years in LA was too many for me otherwise a great program
9. Stanford
10. OHSU
11. UNM

If I did not want to train at an institution I did not rank it. I really should have focused more on county programs.

I'm ranking 13 programs, and I found that my #1 and #s 11-13 were easy to pick, but #2-#10 proved to be difficult. I worked it out on paper over the weekend and went back and forth with it, and finally certified a list last night. I'm giving it a couple of days, and I'll look at again later this week, make sure I'm still fine with it, and let 'er roll!

Good Luck to everybody, I hope the Match is good to all the SDN EMers!

I am working on my ROL and want to know how anyone else feels about Albert Einstein in Phila. It looks like a good place but last year filled with all FMGs besides the DOs. Should this be considered a red flag? The other years have a good mix but considering last year was so competitive what might this mean?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have my 1-6 but don't know how these fit into things.

Geisinger - in Pa rural, nice people, lots of flying experience
Nebraska - close regionally
Arkansas - regional
UTSW - liked dallas, malignant
Yale - 4 years
NW - 4 years
UAB - seemed good, not crazy about 16 residents

anyways thanks

You can still put it in no problem.

I think this is reasonable, the interview is more for you than for them, so if you feel comfortable ranking them, they probably feel comfortable ranking you. I would just send them an e-mail letting them know.

"Dear Sir,

I am sorry I did not get a chance to interview at your program this year. I'm sure you had many other fine applicants, some of whom actually showed up to their interview appointments, and a handful of whom have sent you letters telling you they plan on ranking your program highly. If you haven't already gotten more letters promising to rank you #1 than you have positions in your intern class, I would ask that you consider ranking me for your program. I will be ranking your program and would certainly prefer matching there than scrambling. I'm sure you would prefer me matching to your program to the ignomy of going unfilled -- everyone will know about it and will ask awkward questions in the upcoming months and years. Remember, nobody plans on going unfilled, but it happens every year to programs accross the country in a variety of specialties.

Sincerely,
Joe Applicant"

Remember, no extra charge to rank up to 20 programs!

Hi all! I interviewed New Mexico and thought it was an awesome program... my only concern was that very few residents showed up at dinner and those that did show up didn't come across as being all that enthusiastic. Can any UNMers out there tell me what a fluky experience I had?

During my visit in December the dinner was packed and residents seemed great and ultra-satisfied. Perhaps the night you attended was a fluke? I understand how an experience like yours would be something to be concerned about, I would be too. Just wanted to let you know my interview experience at UNM was very positive. Good luck. WK, MS4.

Hi all! I interviewed New Mexico and thought it was an awesome program... my only concern was that very few residents showed up at dinner and those that did show up didn't come across as being all that enthusiastic. Can any UNMers out there tell me what a fluky experience I had?

I rotated there so I can vouch for the residents being a great group. They are very tight knit, probably owing partly to the smaller class size and the location (not a ton of nightlife in ABQ = hang out a lot together). A bunch were married and had young kids. They are pretty laid back, and this might have come across as "not all that enthusiastic". Great people. The faculty are awesome as well. Great program.

Just hardcore overhauled my ROL. As time marched on Geography began to weigh immensely. My number one stayed the same but my number 5 went to 2:eek: mostly because it is in the same city as number 1.

In this whole process geography has gone from high value to nil and back again.

TAMU-Corpus Christi

UTMB-Galveston

UMKC-Kansas City

Maricopa-Phoenix

OU-Tulsa

UAMS-Little Rock

TTU-El Paso

LSU-Shreveport

any advice would be appreciated...i love all the programs in my top 5, but currently this would be my order...

1. USC/LAC: amazing program...great people...i love the PD....2-4 not preferable
2. UCLA/Harbor: great training...good location...3 years...was not as excited about this program as USC/LAC however
3. St. Lukes in NYC: solid 3 year program...i live in NY and love it, but also want to try something diff, preferably LA...
4. U Chicago: awesome program...too cold and between the commute and lack of housing, St. lukes has an edge
5. UCSF: great location...being a new program has major bonuses and major drawbacks
6-10: all NYC programs

any advice would be appreciated...i love all the programs in my top 5, but currently this would be my order...

1. USC/LAC: amazing program...great people...i love the PD....2-4 not preferable
2. UCLA/Harbor: great training...good location...3 years...was not as excited about this program as USC/LAC however
3. St. Lukes in NYC: solid 3 year program...i live in NY and love it, but also want to try something diff, preferably LA...
4. U Chicago: awesome program...too cold and between the commute and lack of housing, St. lukes has an edge
5. UCSF: great location...being a new program has major bonuses and major drawbacks
6-10: all NYC programs

besides the PD being unsure about shift length/number, what do you see as UCSF's drawbacks?

besides the PD being unsure about shift length/number, what do you see as UCSF's drawbacks?

I asked the PD about the shifts prior to submitting my list. The answer was as follows:
SFGH 12 hour shifts
UCSF 10 hour shifts
Average 52-55 hours/week never over 60 hours week

Shifts will likely change when there is a full compliment of residents.

Hope that helps!

I personally see very few and would be thrilled to find this program in my envelope - Susan Promes, Michelle Lin, and the rest of the UCSF faculty rock, as do the Moffitt-Long and SFGH sites. I think it is an ideal experience for strong personalities that like carving. But we will wait for the shady anonymous dude/dudette to respond.

Hi I interviewed there. Here are a few drawbacks.
1.Anesthesia is not sedation, ventilation, and intubation you are actually running cases and checking vitals. For those who have done it you know this is not the most educational. This is not a big deal but it might be a trend for dealing with rotations that have not been tried by previous classes. Great to be a pioneer but why suffer?
2. Electives cannot be taken outside of the UCSF-SFGH system. In other words as of now you cannot recieve salary or funding for international rotations or rotations at different hospital syustems. UCSF has a rule. So if you want international experience it has to come from your vacation time
3. Currently they are sharing emergent airways with anesthesia who are reluctant to give up these. Again not a huge deal but something that you have to think about.
4. 4-years with out knowledge of work schedule. Who knows you might have to work 20-12s into your fourth year.
5. Technically the ED is not yet an independant department. It is coming that is true and UCSF has committed but its not yet.

I believe that in 10 years this is the #1 program on the westcoast. Problem is I am applying this year. A little too late for me. If it were a 3 year program I would rank it high. I love SF. WHo knows though I have another 2 days to figure out if it is worth it.

FWIW Sharing airways with anesthesia esp in trauma is bad. IMO you have to practice until you have seen a large number of difficult airways. If Gas is getting 1/2 of these then you are more likely to lack the requisite experience.

Juts my 2 cents. Also I have nothing bad to say about this new program as I have little knowledge of it but... if you think it will overcome other established west coast programs in 10 years I think you are likely fooling yourself. Yes, they have great faculty but it takes more than that to be the best and there are some amazing people out west.

I hope with the deadline approaching that this thread picks up. Also, I hope people stop using that lame "anonymous" 2008 EM Review name. Man up and post your lists!

I know it's getting down to the wire and all...:scared:

Iowa is the only program I keep changing around on my ROL. The program, people and new ED all are great, but how limited would you be in terms of program type after? They are aiming to be a top rural EM program, but could you break into a different patient population after training if so desired? I've lived in Iowa and really liked it, so it's not really a location issue at all...

Rest of list is NYC, Boston, DE.... then a smattering of midwest/west

I'll admit it...for the first time in my life, I can't make a *#%&!#$ decision. It feels like wherever you choose, that is where you spend the rest of your life. It all feels so permanent!

I was hoping the lightning bolt would strike me, but it never did, so here goes:

I would love some advice on this one folks, holla back....

1 (tie): Highland vs. UCSF
3 (tie): Harbor vs. Olive View
5: USC
6: Davis
7: Utah
8: UCSD
9: Irvine
10-12: OHSU, Stanford, Denver

1) Univ of AZ
2) Vanderbilt
3) Indy
4) New Mexico
5) Wake Forest
6) Carolinas
7) Univ of Pittsburgh
8) Maine Medical
9) Utah
10) Texas Scott and White
11) Hennepin
12) UMass

Ectopic, I wonder if I know you...

why is hennepin so low? I completely agree, but i'm curious how you came to the same conclusion.

I hope with the deadline approaching that this thread picks up. Also, I hope people stop using that lame "anonymous" 2008 EM Review name. Man up and post your lists!

i'll put mine up as soon as i figure out where to put UT houston, AEMC, Cook and Kern in my top 6. any ideas?

There were a few reasons, but biggest being that I slipped and fell on the ice outside my hotel. I can't handle the cold gracefully, and my wife's worse than me. The other reason--I didn't feel the warmest reception from the residents or the faculty. More of a "you know we're Hennepin, right?" feeling. Honestly however, the whole interview situation often feels so superficial, in that you get a few hours before the interview at dinner if you're lucky, and then a few more hours on interview day, to basically generate an opinion. And it often comes down to small moments or comments that push your opinion in any direction. I think I could easily have a completely different list had I met Dr. Jones instead of Dr. Smith, etc, on interview day.

1. Stanford
2. Indiana
3. Cincinnati
4. Vanderbilt
5. UT SW
6. UC Davis
7. Christ
8. Louisville
9. Texas Tech El Paso
10. Resurrection

1. UNC...loved the faculty, program, chapel hill, and prefer 2 sites
2. Vanderbilt...loved this one too...just liked UNC a hair more
3. OHSU...loved the city and the people, just wished it was a little stronger clinically
4. Duke
5. University of Chicago
6. Olive View
7. Carolinas
8. Cook County
9. MGH-BWH
10. Michigan
11. UCI
12. Christ
13. Northwestern

I'm a bit all over the place, but here it is:

1. Christ
2. U of Maryland
3. Vanderbilt
4. U of Arizona
5. Texas A and M
6. Christiana
7. York
8. Resurrection
9. U of Rochester
10. Cook (1-4)
11. U of Wisconsin
12. Maricopa
13. Texas Tech
14. Cook (2-4)

1) Univ of AZ
2) Vanderbilt
3) Indy
4) New Mexico
5) Wake Forest
6) Carolinas
7) Univ of Pittsburgh
8) Maine Medical
9) Utah
10) Texas Scott and White
11) Hennepin
12) UMass

Ectopic, I wonder if I know you...

Heck ya. PM me with who you are.. ill let you know who I am..

KarlPilkington, we have the same top 3 in the same order! And I thought *I* was geographically random. Maybe we'll get to meet.

KarlPilkington, we have the same top 3 in the same order! And I thought *I* was geographically random. Maybe we'll get to meet.

What a surprise . . . that a tele skier would rank Utah favorably!

There were a few reasons, but biggest being that I slipped and fell on the ice outside my hotel.

Wrong thread for this, but I've got a great related story. On the last day of my rotation there, I got in my truck and started driving down from the top floor of the parking ramp (they have students park on top for a reduced rate). I was driving slowly because it had just snowed and underneath the snow was a fat layer of ice. When I went to turn the wheel to follow the exit path, my truck just kept going straight. BAM! I hit the retaining wall It's an older beater truck, so I didn't much care. All I cared about was getting to the Bahamas for Christmas vacation. Came back from the Bahamas, and started driving back east. Truck kept overheating. Evidently the collision killed the radiator. Had to find someone to replace the radiator on New Year's Eve. Got it done and ended up at my first Jan interview on time.

1. Orlando Regional Medical Center – Best overall fit for me :love:
2. University of Maryland – Close second, this place is amazing
3. Johns Hopkins University – Loved the faculty, family in Baltimore
4. University of Pennsylvania – Best research, awesome residents
5. Georgetown/Washington Hospital Center – cool program, faculty
6. University of Pittsburgh – Loved it here, but no work for Mrs UE
7. North Shore – Biggest Surprise, great curriculum, people, ED
8. Christiana Care – Fabulous place, not ready for the 'burbs yet
9. New York Presbyterian – lots of positives, too much commuting
10. St Luke’s Roosevelt – happiest residents in NYC, ++ commuting
11. University of South Florida – great ED, poor feel for residents
12. NYU/Bellevue – amazing experience/faculty, not what I want
13. Mt Sinai – not sold on curriculum, poor feel for residents
14. Thomas Jefferson University – just wasn't feeling it

I made this list over a month ago, and never changed it once. I love 1-4, but I'll be happy at any of them. :luck:

Ever since I left Orlando I've been daydreaming about it. I immediately felt at home with the residents and faculty, I really like the curriculum, I think the program is going in a great direction, and Mrs UE really loves the area. It's a program where I can thrive in a location we both love. Baltimore has always been a great option for both of us, and I would be thrilled at either of those programs. Penn is a wild card - I think it's amazing, but Philly is less exciting for us. As you can see from my list, we decided it may be time to move on from the Big Apple. However, I really liked the programs I visited here (with the exception of Sinai, but I could make it work).

Now, the waiting begins...

There were a few reasons, but biggest being that I slipped and fell on the ice outside my hotel. I can't handle the cold gracefully, and my wife's worse than me.

Ah, yes, if I had only knew what a commanding role ice would play in my ROL.... :p

I'll admit it...for the first time in my life, I can't make a *#%&!#$ decision. It feels like wherever you choose, that is where you spend the rest of your life. It all feels so permanent!

I was hoping the lightning bolt would strike me, but it never did, so here goes:

I would love some advice on this one folks, holla back....

1 (tie): Highland vs. UCSF
3 (tie): Harbor vs. Olive View
5: USC
6: Davis
7: Utah
8: UCSD
9: Irvine
10-12: OHSU, Stanford, Denver

UCSF Fresno or UCSF SFGH? If things are really equal, why not decide based on geography....

Here goes

1-Carolinas- great teaching, great city, great ED, great benefits, awesome residents, and honestly I could go on and on.
2-UNC- loved the wake-med experience, Dr Trocinzki, Chapel hill and Raleigh, Faculty was awesome.
3-UVA-location, location, location
4-Utah- love the program, just too far away from ailing in-law
5-UofA- would have been higher if not for ailing in-law
6-Christiana-didn't love DE, but loved the program
7-Denver- 4 years to get to my fellowship, I'd rather do 3
8-EVMS- loved Dr Councilman, not so much the city
9-Maricopa-great county progam, location and cost went against it
10-Pitt- all about the weather, I can't handle that much grey. I wish pitt wasn't in pitt.

1. Albany
2. UMass
3. Christiana
4. Maine
5. Rochester
6. Brown
7. Syracuse
8. Connecticut
9. Baystate

Staying in the northeast, I hope!

Oh wow I'm so nervous about this.....here goes nothing!
  • Orlando Regional Medical Center- rotated here, loved it, I have nothing neg to say except for the 20 shifts a month as an intern (but they still looked energized and happy to me) FL is where we want to end up, makes sense
  • Univ. of Maryland- loved it here too but no ties to Baltimore at all, close 2nd
  • Christiana Care- great program, great people, not completely sold on DE
  • USF- not my fav curriculum, overworked residents, but damn do I love tampa
  • SUNY Downstate- the most diverse program you can imagine, ancillary stuff is horrible though lol
  • FL Hospital- new program, can be a pioneer, ties to Orlando area
  • Jacobi- awesome reputation, tired residents
  • St. Lukes's- fun residents, seems to cater well to single peeps, parking issues, not best fit for me
  • Morristown- rotated here, loved the faculty and residents, great teaching, location is not for me
  • Mt. Sinai- great rep, nice people, but major parking issues for me bc i intend to drive in.
  • NYHQ- people are nice, program is young, nothing stood out for me
  • LIJ- loved the program director, if I'm going to be in LI I would just rather do 3 yrs
  • NJMS- Newark is not pleasant
  • Maimonides- my first interview for practice, didn't like the location

Oh wow I'm so nervous about this.....here goes nothing!
  • Orlando Regional Medical Center- rotated here, loved it, I have nothing neg to say except for the 20 shifts a month as an intern (but they still looked energized and happy to me) FL is where we want to end up, makes sense
  • Univ. of Maryland- loved it here too but no ties to Baltimore at all, close 2nd
  • Christiana Care- great program, great people, not completely sold on DE
  • USF- not my fav curriculum, overworked residents, but damn do I love tampa
  • SUNY Downstate- the most diverse program you can imagine, ancillary stuff is horrible though lol
  • FL Hospital- new program, can be a pioneer, ties to Orlando area
  • Jacobi- awesome reputation, tired residents
  • St. Lukes’s- fun residents, seems to cater well to single peeps, parking issues, not best fit for me
  • Morristown- rotated here, loved the faculty and residents, great teaching, location is not for me
  • Mt. Sinai- great rep, nice people, but major parking issues for me bc i intend to drive in.
  • NYHQ- people are nice, program is young, nothing stood out for me
  • LIJ- loved the program director, if I'm going to be in LI I would just rather do 3 yrs
  • NJMS- Newark is not pleasant
  • Maimonides- my first interview for practice, didn't like the location

I know it's a little late, but I rotated at USF and I can attest to the fact that the residents are a great group and happy. Dr. DePalma is a third year and will be staying on as faculty..that guy is cooler than the other side of the pillow and everyone was happy. USF is my #1 :D