** Official 2011 MATCH MADNESS Countdown Thread ~~~ It's Spreading... **

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why didn't I think of that lol. Thank you!

From http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/faq/us_seniors_faq.html#20

At 12:00 noon on Monday of Match Week, applicants can learn IF they matched to a program on their rank order list by logging in to the NRMP's Registration, Ranking, and Results (R3) System using their AAMC ID and password. Applicants will be presented with one of the following messages on the Applicant Options page:

1. Congratulations, you have matched!

This message will be displayed for any applicant who is "fully" matched, including

* Applicants who listed and matched to a categorical program.
* Applicants who listed and matched to preliminary and advanced programs.

Other conditions also apply. Applicants who listed only advanced programs on their certified rank order lists and did not list any preliminary positions on a supplemental rank order list will receive this message. Similarly, applicants who included only preliminary programs on their certified rank order lists will receive this statement. The matching algorithm considers an applicant "matched" if he/she lists only one program type on his/her certified rank order list. Applicants who receive this message will not have access to the Dynamic List of Unfilled Programs that is posted on Tuesday of Match Week.

2. Congratulations, you have matched to an advanced position but not a first year position!

This message will be displayed for any applicant who matched to an advanced position but did not match to a preliminary position listed on a supplemental rank order list. Applicants who receive this message will have access to the Dynamic List of Unfilled Programs and are eligible to participate in the post-Match Scramble for unfilled positions to obtain a preliminary position; however, applicants may not use the Scramble to obtain a categorical position or a different advanced position.

3. Congratulations, you have matched to a one year position!

This message will be displayed for any applicant who matched to a preliminary position but did not match to an advanced position listed on the primary rank order list. Applicants who receive this message will have access to the Dynamic List of Unfilled Programs and are eligible to participate in the post-match Scramble for unfilled positions to obtain an advanced position; however, applicants may not use the Scramble to obtain a categorical position or a different preliminary position.

4. We are sorry, you did not match to any position!

This message will be displayed for any applicant who did not match to a program listed on either a primary or supplemental rank order list. For applicants participating as a partner of a couple, this statement also may be displayed if the applicant listed the 999999999 program code on the primary rank order list to indicate '"No Match". Applicants who receive this message will have access to the Dynamic List of Unfilled Programs and are eligible to participate in the post-Match Scramble for any category of unfilled positions.

5. You are NOT matched because you did not submit a certified rank order list!

This message will be displayed for any applicant who registered to participate in the Match but did not certify a rank order list prior to the rank order list certification deadline. Applicants who receive this message will have access to the Dynamic List of Unfilled Programs and are eligible to participate in the post-Match Scramble for any category of unfilled positions.

6. You are NOT matched because you are withdrawn!

This message will be displayed for any applicant who registered to participate in the Match but was withdrawn either by the medical school or by the NRMP. Applicants who were withdrawn by the NRMP because they obtained positions through another matching service will not have access to the Dynamic List of Unfilled Programs.​

Members don't see this ad.

If you must scramble, when on Tuesday do you find out?
Kinda sucks, hoped one would find out on Monday to allow some prep and strategy.

I'm excited because I only ranked one categorical program and the rest are all prelims, so I'll find out on the 14th whether I got my first choice!

If you must scramble, when on Tuesday do you find out?
Kinda sucks, hoped one would find out on Monday to allow some prep and strategy.

Umm....

I honestly don't know where to go with this. But I'm going to take the high road.

If you get any email on Monday other than #1 in the list posted previously, you're scrambling for something. What else is there to "find out?"

Umm....

I honestly don't know where to go with this. But I'm going to take the high road.

If you get any email on Monday other than #1 in the list posted previously, you're scrambling for something. What else is there to "find out?"

I'm guessing he's probably referring to the list of unfilled programs, which he wouldn't have access to until Tuesday.

Can someone clarify for me what we find out ahead of time as far as matching and when we find out? I have heard that you find out the specialty you matched into...

If you applied to multiple (categorical) specialties, you don't find out which one you matched into until Thursday at noon.

I'm excited because I only ranked one categorical program and the rest are all prelims, so I'll find out on the 14th whether I got my first choice!

Not trying to play the devil's advocate here, but just wanted to make sure that you understand the point below. Unless, you listed advanced programs, which you will not match at and just match at the prelims, then you will know if you end up at the categorical program, assuming it says "Congratulations, you have matched!" However, if you didn't rank any advanced programs at all with the Prelims, then even if you just matched to the Prelim, it will still say "Congratulations, you have matched!" (look below).

1. Congratulations, you have matched!

This message will be displayed for any applicant who is "fully" matched, including

* Applicants who listed and matched to a categorical program.
* Applicants who listed and matched to preliminary and advanced programs.

Other conditions also apply. Applicants who listed only advanced programs on their certified rank order lists and did not list any preliminary positions on a supplemental rank order list will receive this message. Similarly, applicants who included only preliminary programs on their certified rank order lists will receive this statement. The matching algorithm considers an applicant "matched" if he/she lists only one program type on his/her certified rank order list. Applicants who receive this message will not have access to the Dynamic List of Unfilled Programs that is posted on Tuesday of Match Week.

Not sure what I have said makes sense to you, but if you know this already, then I apologize, but didn't want you surprised on the match day :) Less then 2 weeks to go :)

If you applied to multiple (categorical) specialties, you don't find out which one you matched into until Thursday at noon.

I thought you didn't find out til noon on Thursday regardless of whether you applied to one categorical specialty (not program) or 100. Am I mistaken?

I thought you didn't find out til noon on Thursday regardless of whether you applied to one categorical specialty (not program) or 100. Am I mistaken?

You're correct. But I think AndEE's point was that if you applied to more than one specialty (IM and Gen Surg for example), when you get the email, you know that you matched but not which specialty you matched into. However I'm not sure how relevant that is to the vast majority of applicants.

Ballsy...

On the bright side...I have a much better chance of matching than I did getting into medical school 4 years ago, so at least I'm fairly certain I'll match...much better than the wait 4 years ago!:laugh:

2 weeks...

On the bright side...I have a much better chance of matching than I did getting into medical school 4 years ago, so at least I'm fairly certain I'll match...much better than the wait 4 years ago!:laugh:

2 weeks...

Yeah but four years ago you could have gotten an acceptance every day and there wasn't so much of an emphasis on this ONE DAY :scared: I'm fairly confident I'll match as well but I'm still nervous just wondering where the heck I'm going to be for the next 5 years of my life haha.

Yeah but four years ago you could have gotten an acceptance every day and there wasn't so much of an emphasis on this ONE DAY :scared: I'm fairly confident I'll match as well but I'm still nervous just wondering where the heck I'm going to be for the next 5 years of my life haha.

When I tell people (non-medical) about how the match works they are completely confused because they think it's like any other school or job application where you apply and just wait to hear the results in March. Definitely not so. And then when I try to explain the match algorithm they get even more confused.

Although I do think we overall have a better chance of getting in somewhere than we did applying to individual places like we did for med school, we definitely have less control over exactly where we end up (assuming we have multiple acceptances for med school)

yeah, and 4 years ago it was me, my mail box and privacy...but then we didn't know the day either, which is equally annoying too.
My school isn't malignant in that they hand out the envelops and you can leave to open them in private...yet I wonder why I agreed to go to match day and not just stay at home with an irish coffee frantically refreshing my email...:oops:

I'll just be happy 13 days from now when I can stop having to explain the match to people...I'm beginning to dread the whole "so where are you doing your residency?" question.

Although I do think we overall have a better chance of getting in somewhere than we did applying to individual places like we did for med school, we definitely have less control over exactly where we end up (assuming we have multiple acceptances for med school)

I want to point out that it may feel like you have less control, but you actually have just as much if not more control.

With medical school, you get (perhaps, if you're lucky) a bunch of offers. You then look at the list, and decide where you want to go....

... but it's not that simple. Let's say you get into School X. You're happy, but it wasn't your first choice. You make plans to go. Then at the last minute you get into School Y, your dream school. Now you have to change all those plans. Perhaps you rented an apartment, etc. Or (and it's been awhile, and I got into only one medical school) perhaps once you commit to one school you are automatically withdrawn from any other waitlists. In that case, you've lost the chance to go somewhere "better".

With the match, you make those decisions up front. You choose where you would rather go. In the end it appears you only get one offer. But really, you probably get an offer from your match, and multiple programs lower on your list. It's just that, in advance, you ranked the programs so that you have already "picked" from your offers. Note that in this case you aren't forced to make a decision while still on someone's waitlist -- all positions are decided simultaneously.

Plus, there are many more residency programs than medical schools, so there are more choices (in most fields).

I want to point out that it may feel like you have less control, but you actually have just as much if not more control.

With medical school, you get (perhaps, if you're lucky) a bunch of offers. You then look at the list, and decide where you want to go....

... but it's not that simple. Let's say you get into School X. You're happy, but it wasn't your first choice. You make plans to go. Then at the last minute you get into School Y, your dream school. Now you have to change all those plans. Perhaps you rented an apartment, etc. Or (and it's been awhile, and I got into only one medical school) perhaps once you commit to one school you are automatically withdrawn from any other waitlists. In that case, you've lost the chance to go somewhere "better".

With the match, you make those decisions up front. You choose where you would rather go. In the end it appears you only get one offer. But really, you probably get an offer from your match, and multiple programs lower on your list. It's just that, in advance, you ranked the programs so that you have already "picked" from your offers. Note that in this case you aren't forced to make a decision while still on someone's waitlist -- all positions are decided simultaneously.

Plus, there are many more residency programs than medical schools, so there are more choices (in most fields).

Thanks for the great insight! So do PDs get as anxious as the applicants?

12 days to go!

12_monkeys-med.jpg

Meh, I doubt it. They hold power, and have several applicants for their spots, they're not hurting. Us on the other hand...

Yeah but they don't want to scramble anymore than we do. However good news: girl scout cookies are in! If I can't be asleep for the next 12 days at least I have samoas!

Meh, I doubt it. They hold power, and have several applicants for their spots, they're not hurting. Us on the other hand...

Actually we hold the power (our list is the first thing considered not theirs so its our choice where we end up). And you have several schools for your spot...

I guess what I was trying to say is that when you're applying for med school and have acceptances in your hand, you can choose to take them or leave them. If somewhere is your number 1, then boom, you got your number 1 and you don't have to worry about it anymore. If you are holding out for your number 1 or something you want and have acceptances other places, you can continue to hold out (you may have to put a deposit down, but so be it). But you can be glad to know that you have acceptances other places and that if it doesn't work out with your number 1 at least you're going somewhere--and you likely have a choice in the matter.

When you're applying for residency, sure you get to rank all the places you want to go to, but when it comes down to it, you can't really pick and choose where you actually go between your options. You rank every program you could see yourself going and still pray for your number 1. There's no choosing between multiple guaranteed acceptances, and you take what you get, no questions asked. That's what I meant when you have less control.

Of course this all assumes you have multiple acceptances to med school and I understand not everyone has that luck.

the best part? No annoying rejection letters!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, good night folks!

I guess what I was trying to say is that when you're applying for med school and have acceptances in your hand, you can choose to take them or leave them. If somewhere is your number 1, then boom, you got your number 1 and you don't have to worry about it anymore. If you are holding out for your number 1 or something you want and have acceptances other places, you can continue to hold out (you may have to put a deposit down, but so be it). But you can be glad to know that you have acceptances other places and that if it doesn't work out with your number 1 at least you're going somewhere--and you likely have a choice in the matter.

When you're applying for residency, sure you get to rank all the places you want to go to, but when it comes down to it, you can't really pick and choose where you actually go between your options. You rank every program you could see yourself going and still pray for your number 1. There's no choosing between multiple guaranteed acceptances, and you take what you get, no questions asked. That's what I meant when you have less control.

Of course this all assumes you have multiple acceptances to med school and I understand not everyone has that luck.

Thanks... that was my point, but apparently didn't state it properly. That's what I was wanting to say.

Actually we hold the power (our list is the first thing considered not theirs so its our choice where we end up). And you have several schools for your spot...

If we held the power, then everyone would match in their top choices. This is obviously not so. Just because you rank a program doesnt mean they ranked you. At the end, THEY hold the power, they had to rank you first in order for your list to ever kick in...

If we held the power, then everyone would match in their top choices. This is obviously not so. Just because you rank a program doesnt mean they ranked you. At the end, THEY hold the power, they had to rank you first in order for your list to ever kick in...

I guess that's one way to look at it, but I think what aPD is saying is that you'll end up at your number 1 among the programs that "accept" you (i.e. rank you high enough).

For example, when you apply to medical schools, your number 1 and 2 programs may reject your application. So say you get into your number 3, 5, 7, and 8 favorite medical schools. Then you have time to think about those acceptances and decide that yes, #3 is still your favorite among those that you were accepted to, and you therefore decide to attend that school.

For residency, you find out all at once which programs "accept" and "reject" you. Programs #1 & 2 might "reject" you, meaning that they didn't rank you highly enough for you to match there. Your #3 then becomes the highest program that "accepted" you, and you match there. Numbers 5, 7, and 8 on your list may have also "accepted" you by ranking you highly enough, although you'll never know since you matched higher than that on your list. The difference here is that you had to decide between these offers before you received them - you decided beforehand that you'd take #3 over #s 5,7,8, where with medical school you could wait to have all four offers in hand before making the same final decision. Either way, it's still your decision in the end, it's just that the timing is different.

So I guess the biggest difference is that with the medical school application process, if you're not getting into your number 1 & 2 programs, you'll typically find that out earlier in the season as you get rejected, and then you're able to move on and get excited about those that have accepted you. With residency, you're able to keep up the hope of getting into one of those programs right up until Match Day, which I think can lead to some disappointment if matching into that program was never a very realistic option. You then have to deal with the mixed emotions of getting the rejections and the acceptance at the same time. But in either scenario, you're going to get to go to your favorite program that "accepts" you, and the outcome is the same.

So the program has the initial power in either case (deciding who to "accept" and "reject"), but the applicant has the final power (deciding among those programs that they were "accepted" at, by ranking them in order of preference).

I guess that's one way to look at it, but I think what aPD is saying is that you'll end up at your number 1 among the programs that "accept" you (i.e. rank you high enough).

For example, when you apply to medical schools, your number 1 and 2 programs may reject your application. So say you get into your number 3, 5, 7, and 8 favorite medical schools. Then you have time to think about those acceptances and decide that yes, #3 is still your favorite among those that you were accepted to, and you therefore decide to attend that school.

For residency, you find out all at once which programs "accept" and "reject" you. Programs #1 & 2 might "reject" you, meaning that they didn't rank you highly enough for you to match there. Your #3 then becomes the highest program that "accepted" you, and you match there. Numbers 5, 7, and 8 on your list may have also "accepted" you by ranking you highly enough, although you'll never know since you matched higher than that on your list. The difference here is that you had to decide between these offers before you received them - you decided beforehand that you'd take #3 over #s 5,7,8, where with medical school you could wait to have all four offers in hand before making the same final decision. Either way, it's still your decision in the end, it's just that the timing is different.

So I guess the biggest difference is that with the medical school application process, if you're not getting into your number 1 & 2 programs, you'll typically find that out earlier in the season as you get rejected, and then you're able to move on and get excited about those that have accepted you. With residency, you're able to keep up the hope of getting into one of those programs right up until Match Day, which I think can lead to some disappointment if matching into that program was never a very realistic option. You then have to deal with the mixed emotions of getting the rejections and the acceptance at the same time. But in either scenario, you're going to get to go to your favorite program that "accepts" you, and the outcome is the same.

So the program has the initial power in either case (deciding who to "accept" and "reject"), but the applicant has the final power (deciding among those programs that they were "accepted" at, by ranking them in order of preference).

Pretty sure I'd just said that. Hence, the whole, "it's in our favor" thing is farce. It only matters when they accept us, and then our choice comes into play.

Glad you never got rejection emails applying for FP ...not the case for some of us, though.

Wasn't counting the pre-interview crap. Just glad I don't have to wait for the mail and read "we regret to inform you" or "congrats, you were placed on our wait-list"

As for specialty, we all make our choices...hope you're as happy with yours as I am with mine.

Wasn't counting the pre-interview crap. Just glad I don't have to wait for the mail and read "we regret to inform you" or "congrats, you were placed on our wait-list"

As for specialty, we all make our choices...hope you're as happy with yours as I am with mine.

Mockery? I'm definitely happy with my choice.

No mockery intended, I'm just easilly bated into defending fp...especially before coffee when I can't think straight.

Pretty sure I'd just said that. Hence, the whole, "it's in our favor" thing is farce. It only matters when they accept us, and then our choice comes into play.

But it is still in our favor. If it wasn't in our favor, we'd have to make our lists based on where we think we'd match, not on where we want to match. That's what's meant by "the match favors the applicant." Yes, the first phase of deciding where we're accepted favors the program, but at least the second phase of actually matching to the program favors us. I'm glad that I don't have to worry about trying to decipher these mixed messages about which programs do and don't want me, and can instead rank them in order of my preference and let the match algorithm work out.

Anyways, not worth arguing the semantics - I think in the end we're all saying basically the same thing and are getting nervous now that it's out of our hands as we count down the days. Best of luck to you and everyone else in the match! :)

man, I bet you _They_ know the results of the match already. makes me squeamish inside. :scared:

man, I bet you _They_ know the results of the match already. makes me squeamish inside. :scared:

lockjaw, agreed with your last few sentences.
stapleit, they supposedly find out a day before we do. not sure why they get to find out before we do, though.. oh i know, so they get to "fill internally" :rolleyes:

lockjaw, agreed with your last few sentences.
stapleit, they supposedly find out a day before we do. not sure why they get to find out before we do, though.. oh i know, so they get to "fill internally" :rolleyes:

haha. but I was referring to the folks @ NRMP. I don't understand why either, but I guess not much is understandable when anxiety is high a few days before results are out.

time to go have a beer. ;)

I am planning on gaining at least 10 pounds in the next 11 days, now that I have my stash of GirlScout cookies. It's going to be great.

My countdown is simply... 8.
I just want to know that I matched, anything else is secondary. I'd be thrilled to go anywhere on my rank list, even Jersey.

haha. but I was referring to the folks @ NRMP. I don't understand why either, but I guess not much is understandable when anxiety is high a few days before results are out.

time to go have a beer. ;)

:laugh:

Yeah, the bastards at NRMP probably do know already.

I just want to know that I matched, anything else is secondary. I'd be thrilled to go anywhere on my rank list, even Jersey.

I know what ya mean...I loved all my programs and I just wanna match! :love:

Is anyone else thinking about videotaping their reaction when they open the envelope?

Sweet idea. I hope a bunch of people bring video cameras to match day.

same here!:)