** Official 2011 MATCH MADNESS Countdown Thread ~~~ It's Spreading... **

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
my <3 drops about 10 times a day out of nowhere thinking what if I don't match! :(

Members don't see this ad.

I think the advantage re: programs vs. applicants depends on your perspective. As far as getting your top choice available, it's not much different. However, some of us devote a lot of time into whether a program is number 7 or 8, and this doesn't occur with e.g., med school applications. You just take one of the higher programs if you got accepted. If you're matching into an advanced program, you also have to do a lot of work organizing supplemental lists, only one of which will actually matter in the end. Maybe not a big deal, but annoying.

The biggest difference IMO is money. With med school or college, you could know you're accepted to programs early in the season and decide whether you *really* want to go on that late interview. With the match, you have no idea whether you've already gotten your number one or even matched at all. If you had this knowledge, you could save yourself a ton of money on airfare, hotels, rental cars, etc. It is not a trivial amount either when you're almost being forced to interview at 12 or more places.

TEN-MORE-cover-blog.jpg

Is it just me or time is ticking so S L O W ?? even though I am in a lab, busy as hell, my days are eternal...

Haha, I'm not sure what my reaction will be. But if it's a good one, the video memory of it would be priceless. If it's a bad one though....

Ooooh I love the idea of filming the reaction. Great call!!! If the reaction is bad, you could always delete the video. ;)

I can't believe how close match is now (...yet still so far). I took a more intense two week rotation that ends Friday to keep myself even more distracted from obsessing and panicking. It works great while I'm there; not so great when I get home. SO CLOSE!!!! We're in the final countdown...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhnYPecc1YE[/YOUTUBE]

....Then we can start panicking about being interns.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, Courage to change the things I can, the wisdom to know the difference between the two, and to have enough to do so that I don't go crazy waiting for the things I can't change !

9 days...

god, grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change, courage to change the things i can, the wisdom to know the difference between the two, and to have enough to do so that i don't go crazy waiting for the things i can't change !

9 days...

amen!!!

AMEEEn i totally agree with the above message. I am spending a lot of time at SDN now, since you guys/gals know exactly what I am going through. I hope we all will be happy on Monday and Thursday.

irony...
just thinking about all this waiting to know what contingency plan to put into action on 3/18/11, and realizing that if it's #1 then nothing changes. Certainly a relief and the best outcome, but at the same time a good example of what a waste of energy this entire NRMP thing has been!

I was telling someone earlier today that I'm kind of surprised that the NRMP doesn't have a deal that "for $50 extra, you can hear your match a week earlier!!!" or something like that. And you know people would go right for it, seeing that it's pouring water into Debt River at this point.

I was telling someone earlier today that I'm kind of surprised that the NRMP doesn't have a deal that "for $50 extra, you can hear your match a week earlier!!!" or something like that. And you know people would go right for it, seeing that it's pouring water into Debt River at this point.

I'd so do it. But then it would take away from the whole match day ceremony, and I'm sure you've realized by now how much medical schools love ritual...

I'm truly surprised that no one has hacked NRMP yet. I know we've got at least one in my class who would appear to be capable of such a feat ( as in technically, not ethically and not risking 8 years of education)

anyone get an email just now from eras...nice little fyi "in case you don't match".....not a good sign:confused:

Dear ERAS Residency Applicant:

This communiqué does not infer anything whatsoever about your match status.
ERAS has no information regarding your match status.

Beginning at 12:00 noon ET on Tuesday, March 15th, a brief period of time,
commonly known as Â&#65533;ScrambleÂ&#65533;, is set aside for unmatched applicants and
ACGME-accredited programs to fill positions that went unfilled during the NRMP
Main Match. This brief period occurs between 12:00 noon ET on Tuesday, March
15th and 12:00 noon ET on Thursday, March 17th.

During this period, residency applicants who did not match to a position in
the NRMP Main Match may use ERAS to send applications, free of charge, to a
maximum of forty five (45) ACGME-accredited programs including both new
programs, as well as programs where they applied previously during the ERAS
application season. You are eligible for the free applications if your account
is paid in full and you have applied to and paid for at least one
ACGME-accredited program by 3:00 P.M. ET on Friday, March 11th.

NEW for Scramble 2011: Applicants may still apply or re-apply to a total of 45
ACGME-accredited programs during scramble from 12 noon ET March 15 Â&#65533; 12 noon
ET March 17. However, a maximum allotted number of submissions are allowed
each day. These are absolute maximums Â&#65533; applicants will not be able to apply
to more than that during the Scramble period, even if you are willing to pay a
fee to do so.

Scramble Day 1 Â&#65533; Tuesday, March 15th 12:00 Noon Â&#65533; Tuesday, March 15th 11:59 PM
- Allows you to apply or re-apply to a total of 30 ACGME-accredited programs

Scramble Day 2 Â&#65533; Wednesday, March 16th 12:00 AM Â&#65533; Wednesday, March 16th 11:59
PM - Allows you to apply or re-apply to a total of 10 ACGME-accredited
Programs

Scramble Day 3 - Thursday, March 17th 12:00 AM Â&#65533; Thursday, March 17th 12:00
Noon - Allows you to apply or re-apply to a total of 5 ACGME-accredited
programs

Please consult with your designated deanÂ&#65533;s office for assistance when applying
to ACGME-accredited programs during Scramble. If you have any questions about
using ERAS during Scramble, contact our HelpDesk at 202-862-6264 for
assistance.

Additional information, including a tip sheet and a PowerPoint presentation
about using ERAS during Scramble can be found on the Residency Applicants home
page: https://www.aamc.org/students/medstudents/eras/.

Sincerely,

B. Renee Overton
ERAS Director

anyone get an email just now from eras...nice little fyi "in case you don't match".....not a good sign:confused:

Key sentence:

Key sentence:

I know I read that but then why wouldn't everyone get it?

Mine was sent at 5:12pm and received in my gmail inbox at 5:26pm. I suspect everyone will get it but somewhere in e-mail lalaland it's moving slowly.

I am also confident that I will match because of feedback from dept chairs / etc so I really think that they are sincere in that the e-mail is in no way related to match outcomes.

Everyone did get it.

Either 1) there was a delay in the receipt of the email for some because we all used different servers (gmail vs school vs yahoo)

2) this is the Internet and those saying they didn't get it are screwing with you

Mine was sent at 5:12pm and received in my gmail inbox at 5:26pm. I suspect everyone will get it but somewhere in e-mail lalaland it's moving slowly.

I am also confident that I will match because of feedback from dept chairs / etc so I really think that they are sincere in that the e-mail is in no way related to match outcomes.

thanks mini! good luck to you:luck:

Everyone did get it.

Either 1) there was a delay in the receipt of the email for some because we all used different servers (gmail vs school vs yahoo)

2) this is the Internet and those saying they didn't get it are screwing with you

good point!

Checked my MyERAS mail box and my regular email and didn't get anything. My guess is that the email is delayed for some people.

Everyone did get it.
I just got one literally 30 seconds ago. Looks like they're sending them out in batches.

As for the nerves, I think for me the issue is more one of wanting people to stop asking me where I'm going. I mean, I realize these well-intentioned people don't know when match day is, and they're simply being nice by asking. But it's still annoying anyway to have to keep explaining to people multiple times per day that I won't find out for another week and a half. :hungover:

Checked my MyERAS mail box and my regular email and didn't get anything. My guess is that the email is delayed for some people.

With over 20,000 applicants I imagine they have more than one bulk mailing list. It may have to do with when applications were submitted.

It's not a very interesting email. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

it is not in my eras mailbox for some odd reason but came to my email

Key sentence:

It's a key sentence because of the use of "infer" to sound classy, when what they meant to say was "imply." Sorry, the English teacher in me can't let this pass...

infer = to draw a conclusion by logic
imply = to suggest

You can infer what I meant when I implied something

people who aren't getting the email should check their junk mail. my SO has hotmail and it went straight to junk

This is what I received...

This email provides important information about the schedule for releasing NRMP Match information during Match Week, March 14-17, 2011. All times are EASTERN times.

All applicants will receive their Did I Match? information on the Web and by email at noon on Monday, March 14th. Please refer to http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/special_part/ind_app/match_results.html for the message you will see displayed on the Applicant Options page. The Regional Match Statistics by Specialty Report also will be available at noon by clicking the My Reports tab. Beginning at 1:00 p.m. on Match Day, Thursday, March 17th, matched applicants will receive their Where Did I Match? information on the Web and by email. Applicants will be able to access their certified rank order lists throughout Match Week.

The List of Unfilled Programs will be available to all unmatched applicants on the Web beginning at noon on Tuesday, March 15th. Log in to the Registration, Ranking, and Results (R3) System and click the Unfilled Programs tab on the left menu bar. As positions are filled during the "Scramble", programs can delete them from the unfilled list, which will be updated every hour. The Match Outcome for All Programs will be posted to the R3 System on March 21st.

Fully matched applicants will not be able to access the List of Unfilled Programs. If you match to a preliminary (PGY-1 year only) program, you will be able to view only advanced (PGY-2) programs with unfilled positions. If you match to an advanced program, you will be able to view only preliminary programs with unfilled positions.

It is a violation of the Match Participation Agreement to contact programs prior to noon on Tuesday of Match Week or to distribute or post any Match Week information from the secure web site, including the List of Unfilled Programs, to any web site or non NRMP-related matching service. If the NRMP receives evidence that an applicant has violated this rule, an investigation will be initiated and sanctions may be applied as outlined in the NRMP's Violations Policy, which can be found on the NRMP web site at http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/policies/violations.html.

The NRMP has received numerous phone calls and emails from applicants asking about services that claim to send unmatched applicants' information to unfilled programs during the Scramble. The NRMP does not cooperate with those services or provide them with the List of Unfilled Programs. Moreover, it is a violation of the Match Participation Agreement if any registered applicant or program shares the List of Unfilled Programs with those services or with any individual who is not registered for the Main Residency Match, or allows an individual who is not registered for the Match to use the registrant's unique code number and password to access the secure web site to obtain information about unfilled positions.

Our best wishes for a successful Match!

NRMP Staff

PS: Checked email again and MyEras inbox, nothing about the other message that's also apparently being sent out.

This email provides important information about the schedule for releasing NRMP Match information during Match Week, March 14-17, 2011. All times are EASTERN times.

All applicants will receive their Did I Match? information on the Web and by email at noon on Monday, March 14th. Please refer to http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/special_part/ind_app/match_results.html for the message you will see displayed on the Applicant Options page. The Regional Match Statistics by Specialty Report also will be available at noon by clicking the My Reports tab. Beginning at 1:00 p.m. on Match Day, Thursday, March 17th, matched applicants will receive their Where Did I Match? information on the Web and by email. Applicants will be able to access their certified rank order lists throughout Match Week.

The List of Unfilled Programs will be available to all unmatched applicants on the Web beginning at noon on Tuesday, March 15th. Log in to the Registration, Ranking, and Results (R3) System and click the Unfilled Programs tab on the left menu bar. As positions are filled during the "Scramble", programs can delete them from the unfilled list, which will be updated every hour. The Match Outcome for All Programs will be posted to the R3 System on March 21st.

Fully matched applicants will not be able to access the List of Unfilled Programs. If you match to a preliminary (PGY-1 year only) program, you will be able to view only advanced (PGY-2) programs with unfilled positions. If you match to an advanced program, you will be able to view only preliminary programs with unfilled positions.

It is a violation of the Match Participation Agreement to contact programs prior to noon on Tuesday of Match Week or to distribute or post any Match Week information from the secure web site, including the List of Unfilled Programs, to any web site or non NRMP-related matching service. If the NRMP receives evidence that an applicant has violated this rule, an investigation will be initiated and sanctions may be applied as outlined in the NRMP's Violations Policy, which can be found on the NRMP web site at http://www.nrmp.org/res_match/policies/violations.html.

The NRMP has received numerous phone calls and emails from applicants asking about services that claim to send unmatched applicants' information to unfilled programs during the Scramble. The NRMP does not cooperate with those services or provide them with the List of Unfilled Programs. Moreover, it is a violation of the Match Participation Agreement if any registered applicant or program shares the List of Unfilled Programs with those services or with any individual who is not registered for the Main Residency Match, or allows an individual who is not registered for the Match to use the registrant's unique code number and password to access the secure web site to obtain information about unfilled positions.

NRMP Staff

PS: Checked email again and MyEras inbox, nothing about the other message that's also apparently being sent out.

I also received this one!

Haha!
Guess what... there was a delay, and I also just received the other scramble-fest email... spoke too soon I guess :rolleyes:

Also, the 30, 10, 5 thing is ******ed... just allow us to apply to all 45 at once!!

This is probably a very dumb question, but we are completely done with ERAS from this point on, with regards to this years match, assuming we don't have to scramble, right? I just want to delete the bookmark from my header so I don't have to see it again!

NRMP Staff

just got this one!:laugh:

I just took down one piece of choco-licious cake, a cookie, and I'm about to take down another piece of choco-licious cake. Yeah, I eat when I'm stressed. Off to scarf my face with some other high carb junk food. :D

I just took down one piece of choco-licious cake, a cookie, and I'm about to take down another piece of choco-licious cake. Yeah, I eat when I'm stressed. Off to scarf my face with some other high carb junk food. :D

i approve of this. :thumbup: i have just discovered chocolate cheerios. amazingness.

I received both e-mails...

I'd so do it. But then it would take away from the whole match day ceremony, and I'm sure you've realized by now how much medical schools love ritual...

I'm truly surprised that no one has hacked NRMP yet. I know we've got at least one in my class who would appear to be capable of such a feat ( as in technically, not ethically and not risking 8 years of education)

ah, sad. I'm ethically capable of hacking, yet lack the technical skill. :cool:

:laugh: sorry guys, but the latest flury of replies related to the two emails just makes me laugh. Like many of you, I have been completely neurotic waiting for match results. However, as soon as I read the emails, especially the 'this communique does not mean anything about your match...' part I laughed thinking how they probably included that because of previous years of freaked out seniors. Seeing everyone second guess what that email said: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

As neurotic as we may become with this whole process, please keep your sense of humor. Who's for liver rounds on St. Paddy's Day?

:laugh: sorry guys, but the latest flury of replies related to the two emails just makes me laugh. Like many of you, I have been completely neurotic waiting for match results. However, as soon as I read the emails, especially the 'this communique does not mean anything about your match...' part I laughed thinking how they probably included that because of previous years of freaked out seniors. Seeing everyone second guess what that email said: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

As neurotic as we may become with this whole process, please keep your sense of humor. Who's for liver rounds on St. Paddy's Day?

You know, your neurotic ways initially made me cringe. Mainly because it'd make the cool/calm me start thinking about it, too... but, I'm completely on the boat now and find you totally funny... all ahoy, drinks on the NRMP!! :laugh:

This is probably a very dumb question, but we are completely done with ERAS from this point on, with regards to this years match, assuming we don't have to scramble, right? I just want to delete the bookmark from my header so I don't have to see it again!

Yes and yes.

Also, bookmarks are so 1993.

You know, your neurotic ways initially made me cringe. Mainly because it'd make the cool/calm me start thinking about it, too... but, I'm completely on the boat now and find you totally funny... all ahoy, drinks on the NRMP!! :laugh:

my husband says the same thing...I guess I'm contagious!

Last year, the email had the subject line "SCRAMBLE DAY PROCEDURES", or something like that. It was pure pandemonium, as everyone assumed that they were scrambling. I see they have fixed that error.

Last year, the email had the subject line "SCRAMBLE DAY PROCEDURES", or something like that. It was pure pandemonium, as everyone assumed that they were scrambling. I see they have fixed that error.

I was waiting to see what panic NRMP would instill in applicants this year. On the one hand, I'm happy to see they wised up and realized what neurotic stressbags their clientele is composed of and how simply they could avoid causing a rash of MIs in otherwise healthy young people.

OTOH, it's not quite as much fun this year.

just to prove i'm queen of the crazies:

Listen up AAMC! New Rule!

Everytime you raise the passing score on the Step exams, you must equally decrease the wait time for the NRMP match.

Not like any of the SDN neurotics had trouble passing, but come on, it's only fair...