** Official 2011 MATCH MADNESS Countdown Thread ~~~ It's Spreading... **

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just to prove i'm queen of the crazies:

Listen up AAMC! New Rule!

Everytime you raise the passing score on the Step exams, you must equally decrease the wait time for the NRMP match.

Not like any of the SDN neurotics had trouble passing, but come on, it's only fair...

I'd support that :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

tired of obsessively checking this and other residency related threads/forums?

well... here's a shameless plug for something which might keep your mind off things for a little bit longer.

Need a couple more players to sign up as dwarves...if more people *really* wanna play, I could increase the roster to 30. Hope you come down to Lounge-town and join the game!

And now back to obsessing about the match. ;)

So tired of explaining things to well-intentioned people. I'm trying to avoid telling most people anything specific about my rank list as well. The disappointment will be so much worse if everyone knows I didn't get my #1.

This is why I haven't told my family my rank list - they know my top 5, but not the final order that I put them in. Since my parents are coming for Match Day, I figured it was more fun to keep it a surprise. And then, the focus can be on being happy about whatever program I match to, rather than there being any disappointment if it's not #1. But while this sounds nice in theory, the burden of keeping this a secret is driving me crazy...I hope I can survive these next 8 days!

images

Who's for liver rounds on St. Paddy's Day?
Our awesome class officers who've been fundraising for match just announced our match day after party will be open bar. My bff intends to earn her tuition back in drinks. I shall join her in this endeavor.

So tired of explaining things to well-intentioned people. I'm trying to avoid telling most people anything specific about my rank list as well. The disappointment will be so much worse if everyone knows I didn't get my #1.

Also tired of explaining how the match process works. People don't get it. It took me a long time to grasp it all, so I guess I can't blame them. I've been sharing my top three in order so I don't have to put on a fake happy face if I match at my lower #'s. Really, I'm going to be thrilled to match regardless, but the ultimate happiness for the remainder of 4th year is match location dependent. Also the happiness of my husband :(

Also tired of explaining how the match process works. People don't get it. It took me a long time to grasp it all, so I guess I can't blame them. I've been sharing my top three in order so I don't have to put on a fake happy face if I match at my lower #'s. Really, I'm going to be thrilled to match regardless, but the ultimate happiness for the remainder of 4th year is match location dependent. Also the happiness of my husband :(

It's actually very simple to explain/understand.

1. I applied to a bunch of places.
2. A bunch of places offered me interviews which I went on.
3. I made a list of the places I wanted to go.
4. A bunch of drunk monkeys threw darts at my list and the first one to get a hit is where I'm going.

Very simple. Honestly, as soon as I busted out the "drunk monkeys with darts" everybody got it.

I think this is the first time I've ever been happy to be changing my clocks ahead an hour this weekend - that's one less hour that I have to sit around and wait/worry!

I tell anyone who asks what I ranked #1 and #2 (since I consider them basically equal) and even #3-6 if they are interested. It won't bother me if people know that I didn't end up at one of my top two, although it wouldn't be very pleasant to have everyone know if I had to scramble. But I've never understood why people are so worried about other random people knowing they didn't end up at their #1 rank. Do you think most people can remember what your #1 program was even 30 seconds after you tell them? Yesterday, I ran into my class's residency advisor, and he was asking me again which program I wound up ranking #1, even though I had spent over an hour in his office going over my options with him. If he doesn't remember, guaranteed that eight zillion other people who have much less vested interest in where I end up will remember either. The people I talk to can't even remember what specialty I'm going into half the time!

Wherever you match might not be where you thought you were going to go, and that would be disappointing, sure. But the only people who would feel that way would be you and the people you're close to. Most of your acquaintances don't care enough about your life to be super interested in the details of your match results. Since they don't really care about your answer beyond a superficial level, they're not going to pay much attention to whether you ended up at the place you ranked #1. That's assuming they even remember what program you ranked #1....or more so, what specialty you applied in. :hungover:

I think this is the first time I've ever been happy to be changing my clocks ahead an hour this weekend - that's one less hour that I have to sit around and wait/worry!

I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who that thought!

I tell anyone who asks what I ranked #1 and #2 (since I consider them basically equal) and even #3-6 if they are interested. It won't bother me if people know that I didn't end up at one of my top two, although it wouldn't be very pleasant to have everyone know if I had to scramble. But I've never understood why people are so worried about other random people knowing they didn't end up at their #1 rank. Do you think most people can remember what your #1 program was even 30 seconds after you tell them? Yesterday, I ran into my class's residency advisor, and he was asking me again which program I wound up ranking #1, even though I had spent over an hour in his office going over my options with him. If he doesn't remember, guaranteed that eight zillion other people who have much less vested interest in where I end up will remember either. The people I talk to can't even remember what specialty I'm going into half the time!

Wherever you match might not be where you thought you were going to go, and that would be disappointing, sure. But the only people who would feel that way would be you and the people you're close to. Most of your acquaintances don't care enough about your life to be super interested in the details of your match results. Since they don't really care about your answer beyond a superficial level, they're not going to pay much attention to whether you ended up at the place you ranked #1. That's assuming they even remember what program you ranked #1....or more so, what specialty you applied in. :hungover:

I just met with one of my letter writers about something else and he asked "what specialty are you applying for again."

I responded surgery and he said "oh yeah." I actually applied to medicine, but forgot to tell him I was just kidding about the surgery part.

But I've never understood why people are so worried about other random people knowing they didn't end up at their #1 rank. Do you think most people can remember what your #1 program was even 30 seconds after you tell them?

In my experience, the people who did this were the ones who were borderline applicants for competitive specialties (specific examples in Derm, RadOnc, Neurosurg and Ortho spring immediately to mind). They knew that some of their invites were because of a call from the department chair on their behalf or a courtesy during an away and they knew they weren't really as competitive as their interview list suggested.

In the end, they all matched (a feat in and of itself) but I would generally just laugh at people who responded in that way.

Soooooooo freaking unsettled feeling.

I go back and forth between worrying I won't match to worrying I won't match in my top 3 to worrying I won't match at my #1. It's driving me insane! And in turn I am driving my poor boyfriend/mother/dog insane too!

Hurry up and get here match day so I can know and start dealing with it already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soooooooo freaking unsettled feeling.

I go back and forth between worrying I won't match to worrying I won't match in my top 3 to worrying I won't match at my #1. It's driving me insane! And in turn I am driving my poor boyfriend/mother/dog insane too!

Hurry up and get here match day so I can know and start dealing with it already!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My thoughts exactly.:oops::rolleyes: Minus the dog.

Guys, worrying is just futile. We all know the computer probably matched us to our programs within 1.7 seconds of NRMP closing at 9pm on 2/23. It's been out of our hands.

Go enjoy your weekends, sleep in, relax, be happy with your boredom. Because one week from today, we'll all be A+Ox1. And after that, we'll be making travel/moving arrangements and dealing with adult responsibilities again.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0714IbwC3HA[/YOUTUBE]

So basically I have insomnia and a crick in my neck where I have to do a Barbie turn to look to my left. It is really bad...I almost cant drive because of it. I know it is the stress/anxiety. I think this situation calls for a massage and facial...

PS!!. Anyone else on rotations still???? I am starting a new one next week and will be there when everything goes down. We dont have Match Day off.... I wont be able to wait until I am off to check. I want to check it...maybe I will just call in sick on Thursday. I would rather be by myself when I fall apart (whether joyous or sad).

Anyone else in this situation?? How are you going to break away? It will only be 10 am on the West coast....not a lunch break or anything.

So basically I have insomnia and a crick in my neck where I have to do a Barbie turn to look to my left. It is really bad...I almost cant drive because of it. I know it is the stress/anxiety. I think this situation calls for a massage and facial...

PS!!. Anyone else on rotations still???? I am starting a new one next week and will be there when everything goes down. We dont have Match Day off.... I wont be able to wait until I am off to check. I want to check it...maybe I will just call in sick on Thursday. I would rather be by myself when I fall apart (whether joyous or sad).

Anyone else in this situation?? How are you going to break away? It will only be 10 am on the West coast....not a lunch break or anything.

haha, never heard it that way before.

what rotation will you start? pretty brutal to make you come in that day. i'm on EM now, and get match day off, as our school is declaring thursday something akin to a "university holiday" :). and plan on taking friday off to recover from whatever good/bad mess the night before :laugh:. this late in the year, i would have no qualms about calling in sick if i were you.

I agree. Just tell them you can't make it on Thursday. People should understand.
haha, never heard it that way before.

what rotation will you start? pretty brutal to make you come in that day. i'm on EM now, and get match day off, as our school is declaring thursday something akin to a "university holiday" :). and plan on taking friday off to recover from whatever good/bad mess the night before :laugh:. this late in the year, i would have no qualms about calling in sick if i were you.

I was thinking of ordering a "before and after" CMP on myself from today and then on Friday morning, you know, just for fun.

Agree re facial/massage. I think that is an excellent plan post-match (why do it now when there are still six days to build that stress back up?). Also agree with others re skipping out both Thursday and Friday next week. No one cares, and if they do care, that is shameful behavior on their parts and should be punished with you skipping out on them. I happen to begin six weeks of vacation today so I'm off, but I would have pretty much said "NO effing way" to anyone who thought I ought to come in on match or post-match.

Dreamed last night that I matched to my #1 place and there was a moment of excitement, then I was overwhelmed by disappointment. WTF? Stupid schizo subconscious...

at last...we're under the week mark people! So depending on where you are currantly at (anxious, frustrated, blase) the next 3 to 6 days may bring continued panic attacks, absent-mindedness, and a chance of depression.

For me, I'm telling myself to just try and stay the course...but with my track record we'll see how we I actually do :eek:

Best of luck everyone! (both for the match and your mental health over the next week):luck::luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

I think that when people apply to med school, they should base their decision on how much time the school gives you to interview for residency, whether or not you have match day off, and how much vacation/elective time you get during fourth year. I'm starting to feel like these are really the only things that actually matter in the end!

Any screen shots of what the NRMP site will look like when we log on on Monday/Thursday? Like where does it say "congrats" or "sorry" and then on Thursday where we matched. I tried to find a pic online, because I'm crazy obviously, but couldn't. I did stumble across someone who took a screen shot of their Monday email from last year and the subject is apparently "Did I Match?"...very mysterious NRMP! I just like to know exactly what to expect :)

Any screen shots of what the NRMP site will look like when we log on on Monday/Thursday? Like where does it say "congrats" or "sorry" and then on Thursday where we matched. I tried to find a pic online, because I'm crazy obviously, but couldn't. I did stumble across someone who took a screen shot of their Monday email from last year and the subject is apparently "Did I Match?"...very mysterious NRMP! I just like to know exactly what to expect :)

:wtf:

How is that going to change anything?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEjgPh4SEmU[/YOUTUBE]

this + auto replay

I'm working at a hospital I've never been to on Monday, so I have no idea what the computer access situation is going to be, so I checked to see if the NRMP site worked on my Blackberry... the damn thing crashed the phone each time I tried to log in.

I'm working at a hospital I've never been to on Monday, so I have no idea what the computer access situation is going to be, so I checked to see if the NRMP site worked on my Blackberry... the damn thing crashed the phone each time I tried to log in.

You'll get an email at noon too, so your bb will be sufficient. :thumbup:

Attachments

• 128982153302607169.jpg
    128982153302607169.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 53

same thing here:(

I'll be out at community organizations all day and don't have a smart phone...I do have an iPod Touch...so hopefully where ever I am has wifi!!!

At least daylight savings sliced an hour off of the wait. Four more days!