** Official 2013-2014 Underdog Thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
After much much much waiting on multiple waitlists at FIU, FAU, USF, USA, Emory....I finally got into medical school and I'm ecstatic to be moving to Orlando this fall to attend University of Central Florida College of Medicine.... Underdogs never ever ever ever ever EVER give up. Don't you dare!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
After much much much waiting on multiple waitlists at FIU, FAU, USF, USA, Emory....I finally got into medical school and I'm ecstatic to be moving to Orlando this fall to attend University of Central Florida College of Medicine.... Underdogs never ever ever ever ever EVER give up. Don't you dare!!!

Congrats!!

Graduated with a liberal arts degree from a public school a couple of years ago, GPA2.9.

In the last 2 years I have managed to pull that up to a 3.2cGPA, 60+ hours of postbacc sciences 4.0 sGPA(all upper levels ex: immune, comparative, etc.), repeat 31 MCAT (9/11/11) worked in a hospital for nearly two years, AMAZING LORS from lots of science faculty, but wishing hoping and praying my UG GPA doesn't kill my app.

Best of luck to everyone!

Another acceptance! I get to go to my top choice!!! :D

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to post some encouraging news! I was accepted to UAB today! I had a 25 and 27 MCAT, a 3.8 cGPA and 3.6 sGPA so I really never expected to get an MD acceptance much less from UAB !

Reactions: 2 users
Just wanted to post some encouraging news! I was accepted to UAB today! I had a 25 and 27 MCAT, a 3.8 cGPA and 3.6 sGPA so I really never expected to get an MD acceptance much less from UAB !

Awesome news, congrats!

Hey, I have been looking at this thread for a while and I can finally post a successful story. Graduated my undergrad with a 2.8 gpa. I almost quit on trying to pursue medicine, but somehow managed to work up the guts to give this long and expensive application process a fair shot after putting in some work to make myself a better applicant. I didn't do a post-bacc or traditional smp program. I found a school where I could afford to take higher lvl science courses while working part time. Had to retake orgo and bio because I had gotten three Ds on my transcript and a few Cs. Any pre-med with my transcript would cry but tears were not going to correct that awful transcript. So after about 11 classes (10 As and 1 A-) after graduation (2 years including repeated classes/no summer courses), I applied with a 3.04 BCPM and 3.07 cum gpa. Took the mcat twice - 29 (8PS/9V/12BS) was my highest. With these low stats I was hesitant to apply but I gambled on my strong points: amazing recommendations, great work experience/ research experience, and consistent extra-curricular activities. This is my first time applying and so far I have gotten 9 interview invites and 1 acceptance!! I applied to about 24 schools (all of them MD schools in chicago/ohio/NY/CT/Mass/ PA) still haven't heard back from 7. I have learned that you should focus on making yourself into an interesting applicant if you are worried about your numbers. So don't get turned off by your stats. You never know. I hope this helps inspire people in similar situations. It took more time to get into med school than the traditional route, but the experiences I have gained from these last few years are priceless.
Do you mind sharing where you accepted to?

Just wanted to share my "underdog" success to encourage all to remain hopefull!
cGPA = 3.1
sGPA = 3.6
MCAT = 23 (it hurts to type): 6BS 7PS 10VR
LORs = stellar
ECs = many and varied (I am non-trad = 34 yrs old with 4 daughters; switching careers completely)
Rejected all over the place pre-interview. I received two interview invites, 1 MD and 1 DO.
Accepted MD to my dream school.
Do you mind sharing where you were accepted?

3X applicant (WL first cycle, 0 interviews 2nd cycle, 3rd cycle applied to both DO and MD), SMP grad, CA resident, not URM

cGPA = 3.2 ish
sGPA = 3.0 ish
MCAT = 33
LORs = strong
EC= very strong (good/unique clinical, many publications, working full time, unique interests).

DO: applied to 9
5 II, attended 3, accepted to all by nov 1st.
MD: applied <35
3 II, 2 WL, 1 acceptance

I so happy and thrilled! it was a hail mary for my MD acceptance, and hopefully I'll get two more with the WLs!