Official 2014-2015 GI Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
the best program FOR YOU can only be found by you. research all of them (or at least the ones whose name you find attractive i guess), apply to them, see which interviews you get and you will see what they have to offer. doesn't really matter if brigham is better or not than johns hopkins if you aren't interviewing at either.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
anyone hear anything from the nj programs?
cooper? rwj? njms?
also, anyone know if uconn sent out interviews?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
The whole process has been so frustrating. I am glad there is a place like this where we can talk and be informed rather than living in a void of when/if we are going to hear from programs...

I just want to know the thought behind waiting so long to send invites for IV spots 2-3 weeks in advance.. I suppose it can cause a larger burden on the interviewee to make tough choices to go to a limited amount of interviews rather than hoarding ivs and going on 20.. I can't see anyone going on more than 10-12 with this type of strategy unless they willing to spend $$$$$ and also being unable to really plan in advance during work months

can anyone please list the top ten GI programs in the country in order?
I don't think these are in order but these are the programs my mentor made a special note of regarding the best programs in the country: MGH, Hopkins, UPenn, Sinai, UPMC, Michigan, Northwestern, UCSF, Brigham, Mayo Rochester

Again this is someone's opinion so take it with a grain of salt. Also, as someone mentioned earlier the best program is the one that fits YOU the best. Many programs are niche programs in a particular speciality ie. UChicago is amazing at IBD so if you know what you want to do you can pick programs based on that. Getting into any program let alone one of the "best" is a feat itself so best of luck to all.

any lists on public ( fellowship applicant) perception? i feel that would be more reliable...

any lists on public ( fellowship applicant) perception? i feel that would be more reliable...

What does the public/an applicant know about the strength of a program?

The poster above you just gave you a fairly good idea of what the elite "top 10" GI programs are.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, any idea about UCSF Fresno program ?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those that got an interview at the University of Tennessee. What dates did they offer?

Do yall think its worth a try to email programs and say "Hey I'll be in your area for another interview but I'm very interested in your program, and would love the opportunity to interview with you while I'm there" (or something similar)? Or do you think it would turn off/annoy programs? Or not even be worth it? Thanks for the input!

Do yall think its worth a try to email programs and say "Hey I'll be in your area for another interview but I'm very interested in your program, and would love the opportunity to interview with you while I'm there" (or something similar)? Or do you think it would turn off/annoy programs? Or not even be worth it? Thanks for the input!
Why not? You've got nothing to lose at this point. It's not like this is the 2nd week of ERAS being open. If you haven't heard from a program (that is already giving out IVs) yet, one of two scenarios is in play...you've gotten a silent rejection from a program that will either never tell you that or will only do so the week before ROLs are do; or you're on the bubble/waitlist and they may be interested in you.

There are 4 possible outcomes at this point (note that this is different from what might have gone down if you'd tried this a week after ERAS opened):
1. Your email is ignored. Well, your app is being ignored at this point so no real change in the outcome.
2. a) You get an emailed rejection.
b) You get an email saying you're on a waitlist.
In either of the above scenarios, the outcome is the same as it would have otherwise been, only now you know the answer. No program that was planning to interview you will change their plan at this point just because you asked them about it.
3. You get an interview offer. Whether this is because they were just about to email you anyway, or because they had a couple of cancellations and your show of interest bumped you to the top of the "will interview" pile is something you'll never know.

TL;DR - Sure, why not? Nothing to lose.

@gutonc : I thought what he meant is calling and saying: I am in town, can I come to interview. What you are suggesting, or at least what I am hearing, is emailing and asking about the "status" of the application (which I would do as well if really interested in the program).
I dont know, I just feel that asking directly to "come and interview because of geographic location" is a little bit ba**sy.

@gutonc : I thought what he meant is calling and saying: I am in town, can I come to interview. What you are suggesting, or at least what I am hearing, is emailing and asking about the "status" of the application (which I would do as well if really interested in the program).
I dont know, I just feel that asking directly to "come and interview because of geographic location" is a little bit ba**sy.
I know exactly what s/he was asking.

It's not calling to ask about the status of the application, it's saying, "hey...I'm going to be in town and would love to interview at your program if that's in the cards". And it's common. People do it all the time. I did it several times for residency and got all but one positive outcomes. Programs are used to it. And again, it won't in any way change the outcome other than perhaps accelerating it, whatever it is.

Interesting strategy! Thanks for the tip

Why not? You've got nothing to lose at this point. It's not like this is the 2nd week of ERAS being open. If you haven't heard from a program (that is already giving out IVs) yet, one of two scenarios is in play...you've gotten a silent rejection from a program that will either never tell you that or will only do so the week before ROLs are do; or you're on the bubble/waitlist and they may be interested in you.

There are 4 possible outcomes at this point (note that this is different from what might have gone down if you'd tried this a week after ERAS opened):
1. Your email is ignored. Well, your app is being ignored at this point so no real change in the outcome.
2. a) You get an emailed rejection.
b) You get an email saying you're on a waitlist.
In either of the above scenarios, the outcome is the same as it would have otherwise been, only now you know the answer. No program that was planning to interview you will change their plan at this point just because you asked them about it.
3. You get an interview offer. Whether this is because they were just about to email you anyway, or because they had a couple of cancellations and your show of interest bumped you to the top of the "will interview" pile is something you'll never know.

TL;DR - Sure, why not? Nothing to lose.

When you did this did you email the program directors or the program contact person, secretary, etc?

Thanks

New poster. Been following since ERAS opened. Applied to 31 programs. First IV invite today at Geisinger. Rejection at OSU 2 weeks ago. Good luck to everybody!

Did anyone who got an interview from Lankenau hear back after responding to the interview for an acceptance? I emailed to say I would attend interview almost 3 weeks ago and no response so I sent another the end of last week and no response. I am worried they didnt get my emails. Anyone else have this problem?

Did anyone who got an interview from Lankenau hear back after responding to the interview for an acceptance? I emailed to say I would attend interview almost 3 weeks ago and no response so I sent another the end of last week and no response. I am worried they didnt get my emails. Anyone else have this problem?
I also replied to their email. I got an out of the office message. Haha. They are probably gone for vacation. I noticed that lankenau redownloaded my app following that. I'm sure they will get back to us. Maybe we should call tomorrow?

I also replied to their email. I got an out of the office message. Haha. They are probably gone for vacation. I noticed that lankenau redownloaded my app following that. I'm sure they will get back to us. Maybe we should call tomorrow?
Maybe Thursday if we don't hear anything tomorrow we should call? I don't want to be annoying but I also want to be sure they got my email

Maybe Thursday if we don't hear anything tomorrow we should call? I don't want to be annoying but I also want to be sure they got my email
Sounds like a good idea. They should have at least given confirmation. They assume we are gonna stand in front of the Gi dept at 330 on oct 23

UTSW. And note from Drexel stating they will send out interviews the week of Sept 17th

I didn't apply to Drexel but September 17 seems awfully late

Reactions: 1 users
Yeh got the same notification from Drexel.

Notification from Drexel as well, they were pretty late last yr also with interviews being on 10/31 and 10/24

SWEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTT

U of Chicago rejection

What is this email from Drexel all about? I do not understand how they are waiting that late! any comments from friends here?

This is a very weird strategy from the program.
What is more strange is that they say they are sending out interviews on Nov 6? and the rank order deadline is nov 12! lol

What is more strange is that they say they are sending out interviews on Nov 6? and the rank order deadline is nov 12! lol

I think they are not serious about applicants from outside of the program and are just doing this as a facade for NRMP to say "yeah, we have participated in the match"