Official 2014-2015 Rheumatology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi, HERE WE GO... GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF US!

I'm planning on applying to Rheum, just curious on good/bad programs, esp programs where they clearly teach MSK U/S. Also curious on the post-fellowship job market. Good luck guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Applying to rheum this year.Doing primary care for 4 years.I do have some publications.Not sure how competitive it is going to be this year.

Hi Guys! Good luck to all of us!! Feels like just yesterday we all went through this process for residency....dreading the constant email checking and nightmares of inadvertently missing my flights...eek!

How many programs is everyone applying to? :)

Hey guys, silly question, but do yall know which programs want 4 LORS?
Majority of programs don't even have an updated website, let alone the requirements
I don't want to send in 4 unless I have to...

lol. eras isn't letting me apply, does it perhaps open at 9?

Last edited:
I would assume that it was a non specific message because no program will start reviewing applications on day 1.
But is your MPSE uploaded ?

How many programs did you guys apply to?

Last edited:
Yes mspe is uploaded but programs haven't even started retrieving the documents

I applied to 20 programs

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have one lor from Pd and one from rheum chaiman and one from internal medicine chairman should that be OK

I think they should be sufficient

Last edited:
Hey guys, anyone get any interviews yet? Also, have all of your programs blued out? I'm only at about 5% blue and it's causing a flare of my OCD . . .

lol me too. im going nuts trying to decipher what it must mean ..

Last edited:
Hi Guys, what do you mean by "turned blue"? where can we check this? thanks!

I guess I kind of have a clue what you guys meant by "turn blue"....In ADTs, some of the programs "grayed out" instead of "turn blue" to my eyes......LOLs

Also, Guys a very practical question: any recommendation regarding web browsers APPs for iphone users? I can't check messages from MYERAS on safari... Thanks

I m not sure if turning blue / gray means anything
I have invitations for interview from programs that are not blue / gray on ADT

H
can you share with us which programs have sent interviews?

Also, Guys a very practical question: any recommendation regarding web browsers APPs for iphone users? I can't check messages from MYERAS on safari... Thanks
Download ibrowser free

Any interview invites ?????
What does blue/ grey program means ??? any one ???

Some programs are blue with timestamps, some are gray with timestamps...dont think it means anything actually
Anyway, as far as interviews/rejections, if you guys want you can just paste them here and we can consolidate the list, or you can inbox me and I'll add it to the list.
So with that being said, I'll get the ball rolling

Interviews:
Dartmouth 7/18

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats, Rheumshoes! I hope to add to the list soon! :happy:

@PrednisoneJunkie: hope your inbox will be full with invites tomorrow!!!
Some programs are blue with timestamps, some are gray with timestamps...dont think it means anything actually
Anyway, as far as interviews/rejections, if you guys want you can just paste them here and we can consolidate the list, or you can inbox me and I'll add it to the list.

Interviews:
Dartmouth 7/18

congrats Rheumshoes.....
How is the rheum program at Dartmouth? i know that the Dartmouth college was one of ivy leagues

Hi

Interviews:
Dartmouth 7/18
Did you get it via email or eras message?

Any in invites guys?
Nopes! This wait is killing me.

I know!! I have a feeling this week will be quiet

Me too! I was almost wishing for a rejection just so I could hear SOMETHING! Then I came to my senses. Nothing like the match to bring out the crazy. o_O

Anyone have any idea how many applicants the average program has to wade through to select the fifteen candidates for interviews? I would surmise that invites may be late in coming because so few are extended, but I haven't the faintest idea what the starting point is on average.

no invites for me yet , have heard some one got from Dartmouth and Rochester but i did not apply here , but my inbox is empty spoke to someone who said that august end or sept beginning , it starts but this wait is crazy :(

Interviews:
Dartmouth 7/18
Oregon Health and Science University 7/22
University of Vermont 7/23

Hi all, I was wondering if someone could kindly give me some advice.

I am an IMG currently working as a hospitalist. I graduated from a university program 5 years ago, and have since been working at a Community Hospital Program which unfortunately does not have rheumatology fellowship. I have been actively pursuing research and have several publications and many abstracts while working with numerous faculty members at this community program. Unfortunately none are in Rheumatology since there is no official rheumatology service here.

I wanted to get every ones opinion what should I do now?

1. Should I get letters of recommendation from Faculty (not rheumatology) with whom I have worked in the past and apply for fellowship this year.

2. Alternatively, should I wait and try to move to another place which has a good rheumatology program, where I can do some research or maybe some clinical work to get at least one rheumatology letter.

I am not sure what to do , and would prefer to save one year if possible. Also, waiting increases the number of years I am out of residency. Please advice.

Thanks a million in advance.

Hi,
1. I think you should get letters from whoever you can. We do not have a rheum fellowship at my program either. My letters are from PD, Chairman medicine, chairman cards and pulm critical care attending. It hasn't been detrimental in me getting any interviews - All that matters is the quality of the letters
2. You should try applying anyway. Going to a place that has a rheum program does not guarantee that you will get a spot there.
Just have a good personal statement addressing your interest in the field since you don't have scholarly activity in rheum.
Barring any huge red flags like failures on steps, awful letters etcetc, I think you should be okay if you apply widely.

Interviews:
Dartmouth 7/18
Albert Einstein Montefiore - 7/24

Please let me know if I am missing any.
Anyone hear from the top 10?

Hi all, I was wondering if someone could kindly give me some advice.

I am an IMG currently working as a hospitalist. I graduated from a university program 5 years ago, and have since been working at a Community Hospital Program which unfortunately does not have rheumatology fellowship. I have been actively pursuing research and have several publications and many abstracts while working with numerous faculty members at this community program. Unfortunately none are in Rheumatology since there is no official rheumatology service here.

I wanted to get every ones opinion what should I do now?

1. Should I get letters of recommendation from Faculty (not rheumatology) with whom I have worked in the past and apply for fellowship this year.

2. Alternatively, should I wait and try to move to another place which has a good rheumatology program, where I can do some research or maybe some clinical work to get at least one rheumatology letter.

I am not sure what to do , and would prefer to save one year if possible. Also, waiting increases the number of years I am out of residency. Please advice.

Thanks a million in advance.

Hi Rheumboy, if I were you I would wait until at least September to make the decision in terms of whether to move or not, it's fairly early in the game. But you can certainly look for any private practicing rheumatologist in your local area and try to shadow on your off hours from the hospitalist work. Research background (not necessary in rheum) does help, but you need a LOR from a rheumatologist. Good luck to you! and to us all...

Interviews:
Dartmouth 7/18
Albert Einstein Montefiore - 7/24

Please let me know if I am missing any.
Anyone hear from the top 10?

Congrats! Rheumshoe, do you mind telling what time you submitted your application on 7/15? Thanks!!

Hi,
1. I think you should get letters from whoever you can. We do not have a rheum fellowship at my program either. My letters are from PD, Chairman medicine, chairman cards and pulm critical care attending. It hasn't been detrimental in me getting any interviews - All that matters is the quality of the letters
2. You should try applying anyway. Going to a place that has a rheum program does not guarantee that you will get a spot there.
Just have a good personal statement addressing your interest in the field since you don't have scholarly activity in rheum.
Barring any huge red flags like failures on steps, awful letters etcetc, I think you should be okay if you apply widely.

Dear Rheumshoes, thanks a million for your prompt reply.

Congrats! Rheumshoe, do you mind telling what time you submitted your application on 7/15? Thanks!!

Hi Piputu,
I applied in chunks over the first couple days

Last edited:
@rheumshoes Congratulations !!!! for the interview. You are on the roll!!!
How many programs you applied to ?