Official 2014 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whatever you are, be a good one
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Too early? Pff nah it's not.
It's our time to shine bright like a diamond!
It's our time to make step 1 our Goliath.

. . . and may the odds be ever in your favor.
WE GOT THIS!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah. I'm a bit on the slow side, so I don't think it would be smart to try to squeeze it in to my first week of dedicated study, but I do think I will read the corresponding chapters for any system where my average is not up to where I would like it after I take an NBME in a few weeks.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah. I'm a bit on the slow side, so I don't think it would be smart to try to squeeze it in to my first week of dedicated study, but I do think I will read the corresponding chapters for any system where my average is not up to where I would like it after I take an NBME in a few weeks.

Yeah, definitely look at the chapters--or even better, the topics--that you are confused about. There's a lot of diagrams that spell things out.

Also, the images in RR are really good. I just wish the legends weren't so small/difficult to read.

So everyone's suggested the use of Pathoma. My question is HOW do you guys use it effectively? Is it just high yield to watch the videos repeatedly? Do you guys read the book/annotate in it, or is the book more of a reference thing? Additionally, do the videos contain all the info that is in the book? I have access to videos, but am debating if I need to get the pathoma book.

Man... com'on. Fork out the cash and get legal access to Pathoma.

Don't get me wrong. I normally think there is little wrong with torrenting study material. Most of the test prep materials out there are produced in a rush, riddled with errors, and ridiculously overpriced. Pathoma is a big exception to that rule. Under $100 for well-made videos produced by one of the most gifted teachers I've ever encountered? It's well worth the money. Don't bite the hand that has so graciously fed us.

Also, as for how to use pathoma, I personally like watching the videos while annotating additional concepts into the book. The pictures are golden. Also, check out quizlet or cram.com for flashcards made by other folks to really drill in the information.

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Man... com'on. Fork out the cash and get legal access to Pathoma.

Don't get me wrong. I normally think there is little wrong with torrenting study material. Most of the test prep materials out there are produced in a rush, riddled with errors, and ridiculously overpriced. Pathoma is a big exception to that rule. Under $100 for well-made videos produced by one of the most gifted teachers I've ever encountered? It's well worth the money. Don't bite the hand that has so graciously fed us.

Also, as for how to use pathoma, I personally like watching the videos while annotating additional concepts into the book. The pictures are golden. Also, check out quizlet or cram.com for flashcards made by other folks to really drill in the information.

I will end up getting it I think, because it seems to be the only way to get the actual book which comes with the course. Regardless, I really appreciate everyone's responses and insights. You all are great!

Mind sharing the links to some good flashcards you have found?

Sounds good. Do a lot of you guys support with Goljian RR book and audios? It seems that pathoma may be enough.
Pathoma is the perfect balance between high-yield and "well explained". RR is great as a refernce book, but not needed. Get the Pathoma book, its handy to refer back to when doing questions.

So I have 7 weeks to go until my exam and I will have reviewed 6 of the organ systems by the time my intense study period comes around in 2 weeks. I will still have left biochem, micro, all pharm, renal, heme/onc, immuno, pulm and msk/derm to cover in 2 of the 5 weeks of my ISP dedicated to that. the other 3 just being review on what I will have covered by the time my ISP starts. Is it still possible to get through all of this and score 230+. Oh and im only 30% through UW. FREAKING OUT!

I will end up getting it I think, because it seems to be the only way to get the actual book which comes with the course. Regardless, I really appreciate everyone's responses and insights. You all are great!

Mind sharing the links to some good flashcards you have found?

There's one user I keep going back to. His cards are well made and are relatively error free: http://quizlet.com/jjjone05
I recommend any of his Pathoma cards. They're pretty well labeled.

So I have 7 weeks to go until my exam and I will have reviewed 6 of the organ systems by the time my intense study period comes around in 2 weeks. I will still have left biochem, micro, all pharm, renal, heme/onc, immuno, pulm and msk/derm to cover in 2 of the 5 weeks of my ISP dedicated to that. the other 3 just being review on what I will have covered by the time my ISP starts. Is it still possible to get through all of this and score 230+. Oh and im only 30% through UW. FREAKING OUT!
That sounds like a lot. You should be able to know what you're capable of at this point, and set out a realistic schedule. For example, if you do 2 blocks of UW/day, 6 days a week, UW should take about 4 weeks to finish. So, if it takes you 6 hours, then you can be doing that and working on your other resources each day as well. If 2 blocks takes you 10 hours, it's not realistic to have other resources if you plan on 2 blocks/day.

You may want to consider triaging some info at this point, but I don't really know what reviewing the organ systems/topics means to you. Does it mean read them in FA? or does it mean read Lippincott's cover to cover?

well for renal, heme/onc, pulm and msk/derm I have read and highlighted goljan during my class block I just need to reread it and then annotate FA and for biochem I plan on watching a kaplan lecture a night from here on out until I get to biochem in ISP

back from the exam
WOW....thats all I can say!
1/2 of it you couldn't prepare for the other 1/2 was straight out of first aid! Its a really long test but the fatigue didnt affect me until after the test. Some questions I found just straight up unfair [like the stupid research genetics questions....like give me a f*cking break! (had too many of them)]
Felt that nmbes and uworld gave you more sx to work with, while the real deal was so vague about stuff; honestly at times iam like both can be right. Some of the questions had no correct answer, just a BEST answer so that was stressful.
Overall I walked out feeling stunned...kind of like "omg what just happened" I feel just terrible right now.

yea, I wouldn't worry so much. You were doing fine beforehand. Trust the metrics.

Hey guys, I've been reading these forums for a long time and finally decided to break down and get an account. I am an above average student (top 20 in my class), and I'm still not sure what I want to do yet, but my goal is 240 on step 1. I completed USMLERx with an average around 65%, but I have been getting around 75% lately. I started it last semester and didn't have a very high average initially. I just took UWSA 1 to get an idea of where I stand right now and see what areas I needed to focus on. I got a 216, I was a disappointed. I haven't started Uworld yet and I haven't started my dedicated study period, classes end the beginning of May and I'm taking Step 1 in the middle of june (about 6 weeks after classes). Is it realistic to improve 30+ points before I take Step 1?

Hey guys, I've been reading these forums for a long time and finally decided to break down and get an account. I am an above average student (top 20 in my class), and I'm still not sure what I want to do yet, but my goal is 240 on step 1. I completed USMLERx with an average around 65%, but I have been getting around 75% lately. I started it last semester and didn't have a very high average initially. I just took UWSA 1 to get an idea of where I stand right now and see what areas I needed to focus on. I got a 216, I was a disappointed. I haven't started Uworld yet and I haven't started my dedicated study period, classes end the beginning of May and I'm taking Step 1 in the middle of june (about 6 weeks after classes). Is it realistic to improve 30+ points before I take Step 1?

short answer: yes.

long answer: yes. UWorld will improve your scores. also, memorizing minutiae in first aid.

Members don't see this ad :)
My exam is in two weeks. I am wondering what I should do this upcoming week to boost my score a little bit more. Should I re-do all of pathoma again or read Goljan Rapid review for sections I'm having trouble in?

Question about NBME's. Is it worth buying the extended feedback version? Also, do people normally review their entire test or is it used only as a gauge on where you are at in your prep?

Question about NBME's. Is it worth buying the extended feedback version? Also, do people normally review their entire test or is it used only as a gauge on where you are at in your prep?

The extended feedback is worth it to know which Qs you got wrong so you can look up answers. And you should review the test... it won't take long since there aren't explanations.

hey all - thought I'd join in the fun/neuroticism.
t-minus 3 weeks till the big day.

Goal: 250+

beginning of dedicated study time (4 weeks ago): UWSA/230
NBME 13- 245 (1.5 weeks ago)
UWSA - 260 (1 week ago)
NBME 11- 251

Any thoughts on NBME 7? Thinking about doing it next...but it seems like it might be a bit 'dated'

It does, but it's also more fun to ask on SDN.

The extended feedback is worth it to know which Qs you got wrong so you can look up answers. And you should review the test... it won't take long since there aren't explanations.

Got it. I'll ditch being cheap and get the extended feedback version then.

Hey guys,

I am new to the forum. I actually, have been "stalking" the forum for the past couple of months haha before sitting for my Step 1 exam but finally have decided to post since I have some time on my hands.

I wanted to give you all my experience with the exam since I have recently taken it on April 2nd:

Overall, I think the exam was tough, but fair. I know this probably doesn't make much sense to all of you , nor is what you wanted to hear given some of your anxiety levels right now - especially those who are going to be taking the exam soon, so let me explain. From what I encountered on my exam, there were some give away questions as well as some questions that I had to think about, even questions that I honestly had no clue and had to take my best guess at. One of my colleagues that sat for the exam about a week before I had said that he had a lot of molecular biology and neuro on his exam. Another friend, who took the exam on the same day as this said colleague, said she had a lot of anatomy on her exam. Point being, their is a considerable amount of "variety" as far as what your exam will be like from one person's individual experience to another, so don't think because so and so says they had a predominant amount of X subject on their exam, that you should change your current study schedule after the fact because that is what you might think your individual exam will be like. From my exam experience, I can honestly say that I had a broad distribution of questions. No discipline was left untouched on my exam. If I had to say if anything was tested heavier, I would say Pathology and Pharmacology, but let me just add that this might be my interpretation as sometimes the way the discipline for which the question is "framed" in is actually testing on a concept in another discipline. For example, they might ask me a question which is framed in such a way I might think it is a pathology question, however they are testing me on a biochemistry question ultimately... you all know as well as I do that the board of medical examiners have become very good at doing that.

I would say my exam was most like the "NBME style of questions". I had taken all of the current NBME's available prior to sitting for the exam. The way they asked the questions on my particular exam was very similar to the NBMEs in that sense, however some of my question stems were VERY long. I know that some of the NBME test forms such as 15 and 16 have some long vignettes (more so than the early ones - specifically the ones that have become no longer available for us to purchase recently), so I was expecting that, but honestly some were much longer than what I had encountered beforehand. For example I had a few questions each block that were a large paragraph followed by a table/graph. For these questions, I decided it was best to flag them and come back to them because you WILL/SHOULD have time at the end of each block to do that since I felt like they added a fair mix of "short" and "long" questions in each block (at least on my exam). In addition, I had a handful of calculation questions that I felt, if I could not answer them within a little over a minute, give-or-take, I would mark them to return back to them. With respect to the questions regarding a calculation, I used my time at the end of the block to go back to them to either do them or just recheck that I had not made a simple calculation error or overlooked a given variable. I also used this time to recheck some of those long vignettes or questions involving interpreting graphs/tables that I marked because I felt pressured on time...

Some questions required very little rationalizaton/problem-solving and were straight recall (you either memorized it or not), while others required some level of integration of the material and required application to scenarios you probably have not come across even with passes through FirstAid/Kaplan/Pathoma/Goljan or the multitude of Qbank resources out there.

Honestly, I don't know how I did on this exam. I don't think I did terrible, but it is truly very hard to say if I reached my set goal going into this exam. We all have different expectations of ourselves with regards to our performance on this. I am am assuming, since we have all spent the time on forums like these, that we have high expectations for ourselves. I am not the one ultimately grading my exam as well as their is still much "secrecy" regarding how this exam is graded, it so it would only make sense to feel uneasy right? From what I have read, I am learning that this feeling is quite normal for even those who have done quite well...so only time will tell I guess.

So if I have to give you guys any advice, go into this exam with confidence. It is definitely doable. Yes, you will encounter things you have never seen, or presented in a way you have never come across, but there will also be questions that give you confidence to keep moving through each block (since it is such a long exam). You will probably come out of the exam, feeling uneasy, just as I do right now, but honestly, just tell your self that you gave it your best shot and you couldn't have done anything too different and this is ultimately how the majority of people feel, even those who score quite well.

If I have to critique my own studying style, I would say, when your studying please focus more on the concepts and think more broadly and APPLY when it is expected of you. The toughest part for me was delineating between when this was expected of me because I didn't want to "overthink" the question, because I have realized through my studies that sometimes I tend to overthink. Don't overlook the details, but understand things as well so that you can tackle those questions which might just give you that considerable "edge" needed in this exam. You really need a good balance. I think it really comes down to your confidence in your preparation. For example, don't think because you are given a histopathological picture/description of something in the context that doesn't fit into what you think is the "classical" presentation that is presented to you in your given question, that it still can't be the correct answer. Go with your gut and what you know, don't let them screw you up by second guessing yourself because it was presented in a context that was foreign to you...

I wish all of you the best of luck and hope you all achieve the scores you hoped for, each and everyone of you deserve it...

Now the long wait of a few weeks begin haha :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
Sorry to bother. I'd like some feedback on two potential study paths from now until my exam in 25 days. I've completed 'UWorld' and 'Pathoma' already.

Option 1: Study 'UWorld' + 'First Aid' + 'Pathoma' a lot + complete 4-6 'NBME'
Option 2: Study 'UWorld' + 'First Aid' + 'Pathoma' a little less + complete 'USMLERx Qbank' and only 1 -2 'NBME'

Thanks for your guidance! Feel free to suggest any further alterations.

Last edited:
Sorry to bother. I'd like some feedback on two potential study paths from now until my exam in 25 days. I've completed 'UWorld' and 'Pathoma' already.

Option 2: Study 'UWorld' + 'First Aid' + 'Pathoma' a little less + complete 'USMLERx Qbank' and only 1 -2 'NBME'

I'm only one opinion here, but I'd say Option 2. I generally would try and do more Q's if you can. The only time I'd say Option 1 is if you haven't done Pathoma at all prior to now, and will be able to get through UWorld + incorrects/marked.

Option 2, but complete at least 3 NBMEs.

Just logged into my picmonics account, they have a new set of cards on thyroid diseases and apparently i have to subscribe again to do them. Not cool.

I would message them about it for a discounted rate. I had an expired promo code and e-mailed them about it, gave me a new one no problem.

Step 1 = 262
Studied for 6 wks
UWSA2 (7 days before exam day) = 265
UWSA 1 (13 days before exam day) = 265
NBMEs 12 & 11 (18 days before exam day) = 257 & 253 respectively
2 complete + 1 incomplete pass through FA
1 pass through UW, then redid marked, then redid wrongs
Supplemented w/ Pathoma but not religiously
I loved Goljan during preclinical, but no time for that (book or audio) during 6 wks.

Reactions: 6 users
Step 1 = 262
Studied for 6 wks
UWSA2 (7 days before exam day) = 265
UWSA 1 (13 days before exam day) = 265
NBMEs 12 & 11 (18 days before exam day) = 257 & 253 respectively
2 complete + 1 incomplete pass through FA
1 pass through UW, then redid marked, then redid wrongs
Supplemented w/ Pathoma but not religiously
I loved Goljan during preclinical, but no time for that (book or audio) during 6 wks.

Wow, amazing score! How come u didn't do the most recent NBMEs?

Wow, amazing score! How come u didn't do the most recent NBMEs?

The short answer is there was very little rhyme or reason to what I did.
I think it was b/c from what I read on SDN, they weren't "representative" of the real thing / had whacky questions.
I heard from the class above me that their only utility was for score correlation, and there would be more data on the older ones.
I think it was my intention in the beginning to do all the NBMEs, and then I realized what a colossal waste of $ (and time) they was.
The questions were way different (easier) than UW/the real thing.

The short answer is there was very little rhyme or reason to what I did.
I think it was b/c from what I read on SDN, they weren't "representative" of the real thing / had whacky questions.
I heard from the class above me that their only utility was for score correlation, and there would be more data on the older ones.
I think it was my intention in the beginning to do all the NBMEs, and then I realized what a colossal waste of $ (and time) they was.
The questions were way different (easier) than UW/the real thing.

how did you think the real deal compared to UW/UWSA

how did you think the real deal compared to UW/UWSA

Actually super similar. The real deal felt like I was just sitting down to do a bunch of back-to-back UW blocks. They're mostly like 2- or 3- step questions. (I didn't really count, but for NBMEs, I was used to thinking like 8 steps ahead and they asked me the 1st step ahead). But yah, having your brain be firmly in the UW zone is def where you want to be when test day rolls around.

Hello everyone,

I took step 1 a week ago. I just wanted to ask how well does the NBME score correlate with the real test score? I did NBME 12 2 weeks before the test and I got a very low score (192) but I couldn't postpone the test :( anyways I just wanted to know if its possible to have a higher score in the real test? and how high/low compared to NBME 12?

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

Just wrote my step 1 exam today and it was nothing like the practice NBMEs I took. My exam was filled with ALOT of anatomy questions, which is definitely not my strong point. Many obscure questions, none of which were "high yield". In addition, I made several mistakes that I shouldn't have. I totally dropped the ball on the real deal and feel terrible. This is going to be a very miserable 3 weeks. Anyways, here are my scores for NBMEs, etc.

NBME 16 (2 days out) - 256
NBME 15 (3 days out)- 251
NBME 13 (5 days out) - 251
NBME 12 (2.5 weeks out)- 251
NBME 11 (4 weeks out)- 254

UWSA 1 - 262 (3 weeks out)
UWSA 2 - 264 (1.5 weeks out)
UWORLD - 80% overall, timed/random

Hey everyone,

Just wrote my step 1 exam today and it was nothing like the practice NBMEs I took. My exam was filled with ALOT of anatomy questions, which is definitely not my strong point. Many obscure questions, none of which were "high yield". In addition, I made several mistakes that I shouldn't have. I totally dropped the ball on the real deal and feel terrible. This is going to be a very miserable 3 weeks. Anyways, here are my scores for NBMEs, etc.
How did you study anatomy for the exam? Up till now I have only been using FA, but it seems like every year a few students get an anatomy heavy exam, and posts like yours worries me.

Just wrote my step 1 exam today and it was nothing like the practice NBMEs I took.
Sorry to hear that. Hopefully, that exam was tough for everyone else.
I have the same question as Petypey: Based on your experience now, what would you recommend for Anatomy? Would FA cover it? If possible, can you elaborate what areas of anatomy were emphasized?

Hey everyone,

NBME 16 (2 days out) - 256
NBME 15 (3 days out)- 251
NBME 13 (5 days out) - 251
NBME 12 (2.5 weeks out)- 251
NBME 11 (4 weeks out)- 254

UWSA 1 - 262 (3 weeks out)
UWSA 2 - 264 (1.5 weeks out)
UWORLD - 80% overall, timed/random
You know, people get on here and say they feel terrible about the exam all the time. It would be very surprising for someone who was making 250+ consistently for several weeks to not make in that range.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone,

I took step 1 a week ago. I just wanted to ask how well does the NBME score correlate with the real test score? I did NBME 12 2 weeks before the test and I got a very low score (192) but I couldn't postpone the test :( anyways I just wanted to know if its possible to have a higher score in the real test? and how high/low compared to NBME 12?

From what a lot of people who've taken step 1 say, the NBME is a pretty good indicative of how you will do on your exam.
My question to you is was that the only NBME you took? If not, how did u score on ur other NBMEs?

From what a lot of people who've taken step 1 say, the NBME is a pretty good indicative of how you will do on your exam.
My question to you is was that the only NBME you took? If not, how did u score on ur other NBMEs?
I took NBME 11 before I began studying and scored in 180s

I have 8 weeks until I take this nonsense

Still in class until end of April so I don't have any dedicated time yet, but uworld is already kicking my ass

arrrgggggg gotta stay motivated for this s*** another two months somehow

I took NBME 11 before I began studying and scored in 180s

Damn, you should have postponed the exam date. I'm not trying to freak you out, but. . . I don't know. Hopefully, the exam went well for you. There's nothing you can do at this point. You just have to wait for your results.

You know, people get on here and say they feel terrible about the exam all the time. It would be very surprising for someone who was making 250+ consistently for several weeks to not make in that range.

I really hope that's the case. I walked out of the exam thinking WTH just happened!!?

How did you study anatomy for the exam? Up till now I have only been using FA, but it seems like every year a few students get an anatomy heavy exam, and posts like yours worries me.

For anatomy, I used FA, uworld, and kaplan anatomy/neuroanatomy. The kaplan book and uworld helped with the CT/Xray images I got. But many of the questions were asking about details that I did not expect to be tested on.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

Just wrote my step 1 exam today and it was nothing like the practice NBMEs I took. My exam was filled with ALOT of anatomy questions, which is definitely not my strong point. Many obscure questions, none of which were "high yield".
If I get the anatomy-heavy step 1 exam, I might as well reapply for my old job at the grocery store.

The scale on that exam must be so frigging low. My hat's off to all y'all 250 and 260 scorers, but I'm as average as average can be and I guarantee you my score would only be slightly above 20% , assuming 5 answer choices per question. Since my scores are so average, I know that's going to be true for the silent majority as well.

Just took UWSA 1 today.

Any ideas on how to go about improving with approx 3 weeks left to study? Based on their bar graphs that Ive attached to this post, Im inconsistent in most subjects but renal. Still have 40% of UWorld to finish.

Just took UWSA 1 today.

Any ideas on how to go about improving with approx 3 weeks left to study? Based on their bar graphs that Ive attached to this post, Im inconsistent in most subjects but renal. Still have 40% of UWorld to finish.

I'm in a similar position score-wise/time-wise. I think you hit the nail on the head - UWorld ftw.