Official 2015-2016 Cardiology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi Docs
How can track documents like we did during app for residency? I think they have different format this year

You cant, because they took that feature out this year. Somebody in the pulm/CC thread already got an interview (crazy!!!) and the she/he said that their ERAS application didn't look any different, so they removed it this year for some reason.

Members don't see this ad.

Apply Now, Assign the remaining letters later. This question comes up every year and that always seems to be the answer. I had the same question and I went through the last two application cycle threads.

Thanks! I went ahead and submitted. Unfortunately now it looks like we can no longer track our applications....that's irritating to say the least. Also I think I've had no more than a 1 day or so turnaround on my letters getting uploaded and then sent to ERAS.

Hello people,

This is exciting, application submitted yesterday, now the long wait. I heard from the fellows at my institution the average number of interviews to match is around 6. Hoping for an exciting interview season.

Lets talk finances, how much money should we start saving for interviews?
When do interviews for the most part start coming?
What do you guys know about PTAL?.. asked around was told it is only needed until you start the fellowship.

Good luck future cardiologists!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry for the silly question but wondering,
Whats the difference 1) Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (Clinical Track) Program and 2) Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Program? Are both competitive?
also Baylor university medical center vs Baylor college of medicine? which one is so called famous "Baylor"?

Sorry for the silly question but wondering,
Whats the difference 1) Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (Clinical Track) Program and 2) Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Program? Are both competitive?
also Baylor university medical center vs Baylor college of medicine? which one is so called famous "Baylor"?

Baylor University is a large community hospital in Dallas. Baylor College of Medicine is the "famous" Baylor in the Texas Medical Center in Houston. There is also Baylor-St. Luke's Medical Center which is really Texas Heart Institute. Will likely be one program in the next 2-3 years as Baylor and THI recently announced an affiliation agreement.

The waiting period...anxious...I guess the invitations get sent our starting mostly in August?...or anyone know of any programs that start giving out invitations as early as later july?

Still think it's crazy as someone posted earlier that in invitations were sent out by some programs already (although it was pulm)...

Last edited:
Just received a notification from a program (located northeast) that the application is received and being reviewed with notification at end of July 'on or shortly after' for interview/status - glad to know that some programs are messaging at least.

First interview invite. Baylor College of Medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
First interview invite. Baylor College of Medicine.

Nice! That was fast! Did you apply on the first day - and if you did, was it like when the app just opened?

I like applied this morning...so like anxious now that interviews are already being sent out...but haven't received any invite yet....

Last edited:
New York Presbyterian Columbia sent out an e-mail today acknowledging receipt of application and that notifications of application status will be on or after July 31.

I actually applied last night. I will add that it is my home program so that probably had a lot to do with it. Still, I was surprised it happened so quickly. I got an email via ERAS from the program and I confirmed the date by replying to the email.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually applied last night. I will add that it is my home program so that probably had a lot to do with it. Still, I was surprised it happened so quickly. I got an email via ERAS from the program and I confirmed the date by replying to the email.

Thanks for letting us know - You must have a great cv and they love you to invite so quickly! Hope my own program likes me that much too.

Hi Docs
How can track documents like we did during app for residency? I think they have different format this year
I think you cannot this year, it will only show that your application is available.

Just FYI, UDub sent a message out that they will send out interview invitations in early-mid August...almost there...the anxious wait.

JCWU, where are you doing residency if you don't mind me asking?

JCWU, where are you doing residency if you don't mind me asking?

Hmm...well, I'm comfortable enough with sharing that it's a good academic univ. program ... but 'not' located in the northeast ;p

Hmm...well, I'm comfortable enough with sharing that it's a good academic univ. program ... but 'not' located in the northeast ;p
fair enough :)
so what can you do if you find out you did not assign your PDs LOR to a program you applied to?

Hi guys,

Good luck everyone with the application process.

Had a question, maybe someone here will be able to answer it. I'm a DO from DO program. I'm planning on applying to cards fellowship. Does anyone know which programs are DO friendly? I know it's hard for me to even consider but thought I should ask to see if anyone would know. Maybe community programs that you would know. Thanks in advance.

A question.
I wrote my chief resident's name as supervisor in training section of my application. Immediately below is a check box for chief resident which i checked off as i wrote my chief's name there. But in final CV, "chief resident" didnt come with my chief's name but came at the top of the section which made it look like i was chief resident (i wasnt). Now i cant change it as i already sent the application (already talked to ERAS). What should i do? Should i write an explanation to all the PDs?

A question.
I wrote my chief resident's name as supervisor in training section of my application. Immediately below is a check box for chief resident which i checked off as i wrote my chief's name there. But in final CV, "chief resident" didnt come with my chief's name but came at the top of the section which made it look like i was chief resident (i wasnt). Now i cant change it as i already sent the application (already talked to ERAS). What should i do? Should i write an explanation to all the PDs?

I have no idea of the official rules for this issue...and defer to others if they have solid advice, but my guess would be that your PD letter would indicate if you're a chief or not - and if your application states that you are, but your PD letter does not state it, then I think programs could interpret your application in a 'questionable' way - I would contact ERAS again, but if they say the same thing, I think you'd be obligated to inform programs that there is an error in your application - better than the programs possibly interpreting the discrepancy in the wrong way and hammering your integrity because of it.

Hi Docs
This is the first year that programs use a web-based ERAS PD station as opposed to a previous software they download and can work offline off of it, that why you don't see which programs downloaded your application and which didn't

Guys do you think Cardiology is still as competitive as it was? Is it getting easier to match cards or more difficult?
Have not heard from any program so far. Does that mean no program has downloaded my application yet?

You all really need to chill the hell out.

Last year's first SDN reported Cards interview offer was 7/29. the year before that it was 7/23. The astute among you will notice that neither of those 2 dates have occurred yet.

The early invites are usually for homers and people who have a connection to a particular program.

Yale interview invites out today - 5 dates total - much faster than I thought - oddly, now I'm more anxious.

I removed a silly part in my personal statement yesterday i dont know if that change will reflect on the application before it is downloaded.
I think programs who downloaded that will not try looking again
And who didnt is a good for me

Hi guys,

Good luck everyone with the application process.

Had a question, maybe someone here will be able to answer it. I'm a DO from DO program. I'm planning on applying to cards fellowship. Does anyone know which programs are DO friendly? I know it's hard for me to even consider but thought I should ask to see if anyone would know. Maybe community programs that you would know. Thanks in advance.

consider
Advocate Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge, IL

very DO friendly

Yale interview invites out today - 5 dates total - much faster than I thought - oddly, now I'm more anxious.

Hi guys !!! Good luck to everyone with their fellowship search !! Hopefully at the end of this stressful process we'll all be cardiologists. I'm starting the list of cardiology interviews with their dates. Please update the list as you get an interview.

1) Yale: 7/22

Hi guys !!! Good luck to everyone with their fellowship search !! Hopefully at the end of this stressful process we'll all be cardiologists. I'm starting the list of cardiology interviews with their dates. Please update the list as you get an interview.

didn't someone get a Baylor COM invite on 7/17?

Last edited:
2) Baylor (Houston) 7/17-this was for internal candidates.

Hello all, did anyone hear from university of washington? I received an email asking for specifics on research and future plans?

Hello all, did anyone hear from university of washington? I received an email asking for specifics on research and future plans?
got the same email few days ago.
A friend told me they it is not the first year they ask for specific personal statement I guess it something to keep busy at this slow market
BTW my friend didn't get an invite despite being an "authority" on echo and imaging, apparently their strong feature.

got the same email few days ago.
A friend told me they it is not the first year they ask for specific personal statement I guess it something to keep busy at this slow market
BTW my friend didn't get an invite despite being an "authority" on echo and imaging, apparently their strong feature.
just curious, what's an 'authority on echo and imaging' mean?

It must mean as a resident they wrote a book on 'echo and imaging' that has been widely disseminated and regarded as an essential text in the subject...

just curious, what's an 'authority on echo and imaging' mean?

It must mean as a resident they wrote a book on 'echo and imaging' that has been widely
disseminated and regarded as an essential text in the subject...
I hate side track this beautiful informative thread but since there is little discussion anyway
Authority is not the buzz word here but okay you got me !
he had substantial contribution to the nascent science of speckle tracking and CMR
but fail to satisfy the above criterion of wide dissemination and regarded an essential text
oh he was not a resident.

More coming in, another invitation received today - Brown Univ.

Last edited:
I got one from Brown as well ! Congrats JCWU !

2) Baylor (Houston) 7/17-this was for internal candidates
3) Brown: 7/24

I got one from Brown as well ! Congrats JCWU !

Congrats to everyone who already got interviews. I would suggest to split the list to reflect the visa status as well.

AMGs

IMGs not requiring visa

IMGs requiring visa

Should we complain about it to ERAS?

They also request a supplementary application (the link they send doesn't work but you can google it). On the app they ask you how many programs you applied to. Is this a fair question? Moderators?

http://www.rushu.rush.edu/servlet/BlobServer?blobcol=urlfile&blobtable=document&blobkey=id&blobwhere=1295215391591&blobheader=application/pdf&blobnocache=true
Yeah, I saw that. I was wondering about the same point. Clearly it is unfair. I think ERAS should do a better job highlighting the programs with special requests. I wonder if ERAS already knows about that!

Yeah, I saw that. I was wondering about the same point. Clearly it is unfair. I think ERAS should do a better job highlighting the programs with special requests. I wonder if ERAS already knows about that!

Makes you think about what kind of resources this program has if they are nickle/diming applicants.

Congratulations to everyone who got interviews!
1) Baylor Houston- 7/17
2) U Kentucky- 7/24

Should we complain about it to ERAS?

it's a clear violation, yet many of you lack a pair to ever consider sending in a complaint. I'm sure if the tables were turned the institution would report you with no compunctions.

Congrats to those with early interviews!