Official 2015-2016 GI Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, I noticed from prior GI threads that interviews for GI tend to come in on the later side compared to the other specialties (still cannot believe people over in the Pulm/CC got interviews on day 1 aka July 15th). Trying to not spaz out and check my email or SDN to see whether there is any activity in the interview invites.
Hope we can keep this thread active (noticed the other threads already have multiple pages)!
congrats on opening page 2 :)

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, listen, you are definitely going to spaz out...you've just spent the last 3 years being a resi-fellow, running around shopping posters to every meeting you can, doing everything for the PD short of washing his/her car, and hoping that you can be lucky enough to be a workhorse for 3 more years all for the privilege of MAYBE doing what you want to do. You are entitled to check your email a little more often these days.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
In the training section of application, there is a section for supervisor. I wrote chief resident's name. Immediately below is a check box for chief resident which i checked off as I wrote my chief's name for supervisor. But in final CV, the words "chief resident" didnt come with my chief's name but came at the top of the section which made it look like I was chief resident which i wasnt. I cant change now. What should i do?

Last edited:
Hmm...well, that's a pickle... "Chief Resident" is a filter unto itself for programs, so that needs changing. Call ERAS customer services and 'splain, maybe they can change it for you?

Hmm...well, that's a pickle... "Chief Resident" is a filter unto itself for programs, so that needs changing. Call ERAS customer services and 'splain, maybe they can change it for you?

I agree, probably best to call and have it changed. Honest mistake but should be clarified for your benefit.

Best!

Silence..............

what do you expect really?

All the applicants from last year either matched (and are busy with boards/fellowship)
or are reapplying and are smart enough not to waste their time spazzing out on this forum.

props to nycscope though. Almost everything he has said is golden. sending good karma his way.

Reactions: 1 user
So I was from last year cycle and matched pretty well at one of the top 5 GI programs (according to the newest US News ranking).
For the chief resident box as someone mentioned earlier, it needs to be fixed since they will ask you about it during interview and you dont wanna explain yourself about that during interviews.
I got my first interview on july 21st and went to 14 out of 21 of them. It was a nerve wrecking and intense process but all worth it in the end. Once you are scheduled for interviews, dont be fooled if they give you 1 date only. You can call and ask if there are other dates. Sometimes, the coordinator wanna make it easier for them so they make it sound like there is only 1 date which is not true. It happened at 3 programs like that for me.
For LORs, choose the one that seems to be the most flattering and the person that writes it knows you the most. One trick I did was to ask my other letter writers to email to a program that someone they have ties with and advocate for you. (I actually had 7 letters and did have a hard time to decide which letter I used for which program).
A question often comes up "do we send in thank you note". I did it with only the top 5 programs on my list. make it as personal as you can on the note.

Programs do contact you once they think you're good fit for them. My current PD called me right before the deadline for ranking and basically told me how fit I am with the program and they really highly considered me. It actually helped a lot since I also really loved my current program and made it easier with the ranking. In addition to calls, they also email you to let you know how strongly they consider you as well. Some programs I didnt hear from them at all.

That's my 2 cents for now.

Good luck to everyone!

Reactions: 1 users
what do you expect really?

All the applicants from last year either matched (and are busy with boards/fellowship)
or are reapplying and are smart enough not to waste their time spazzing out on this forum.

props to nycscope though. Almost everything he has said is golden. sending good karma his way.

When I wrote "Silence", I meant that the GI thread is not as active as the other threads. Not necassarily from interview invites, but just in regards to general dicussions. And fyi, I know many applicants (and reapplicants) applying this year, who are smart AND spazzing out.

Hopkins, UCSF and Stanford have all emailed requesting supplemental application.

Members don't see this ad :)
US medical school graduates
1. 1. OHSU 7/23: scopemonkey

IMG without visa restrictions (us citizens from non-USA schools, green card holders)

Visa requiring IMGs

Reactions: 1 users
how to know by looking at eras profile that programs have downloaded your application?

US medical school graduates
1. OHSU 7/23: scopemonkey
2. Duke 7/24 : hellokittypoops2
3. U Michigan 7/24 : hellokittypoops2

IMG without visa restrictions (us citizens from non-USA schools, green card holders)

Visa requiring IMGs

AMGs
1. Oklahoma 7/23: scopemonkey
4. Cincinnati 7/24: iluvgi

IMGs without visa restrictions (us citizens from non-USA schools, green card holders)

Visa requiring IMGs

Last edited:
Cincinnati as well

AMGs 1. Oklahoma 7/23: scopemonkey
4. Cincinnati 7/24: iluvgi, scoopontherapeuticpoo

IMGs without visa restrictions (us citizens from non-USA schools, green card holders)

Visa requiring IMGs

AMGs
1. OHSU 7/23: scopemonkey

Visa requiring IMGs

Made a correction on the list (Oklahoma is not OHSU).

Got it so its oregon. glad to know!!

AMGs
1. Oregon health science university 7/23: scopemonkey

Visa requiring IMGs

AMGs
5. U Rochester 7/24: tpjunkie

Visa requiring IMGs

if you don't mind me asking, where are you doing your residency?

Methodist Dallas IV today

AMGs

5. U Rochester 7/24: tpjunkie
6. Methodist Dallas 7/24: massattack

Visa requiring IMGs

no IVs yet. Applied to 70 programs. Is it time for me to panic and apply to more????

This is just the very beginning of the cycle, most programs havent even started reviewing the applications yet. Keep calm and carry on.

Cincinnati and U Rochester on 7/24

AMGs

4. Cincinnati 7/24: iluvgi, scoopontherapeuticpoo, yinzerGI
5. U Rochester 7/24: tpjunkie, yinzerGI

Visa requiring IMGs

Cincinnati and U Rochester on 7/24

AMGs

5. U Rochester 7/24: tpjunkie, yinzerGI

Visa requiring IMGs
congrats to everyone who got interviews. These show a strong pattern. truly AMG friendly programs are as usual calling AMGs whom they are happy with. I didnt apply to any of them fortunately( I am an IMG). this list will help subsequent applicants in the next cycles.

Long time lurker thought I should contribute. U. Rochester Yesterday.

U Rochester on 7/24

AMGs

5. U Rochester 7/24: tpjunkie, yinzerGI, go light

Visa requiring IMGs

on a side note pulm/cc group seems robustly active with multiple members pitching in their comments n views. our gi group 1:100 leechers ratio - not so good

Agreed and the point I was trying to make on an earlier post ("Silence...")!!!

Curious, I wanted to know how many programs people have applied too?! I have friends applying to Nehprology and its funny how most of them apply to about 10-20programs but I feel applicants applying to cards, heme/Onc and GI have to, obviously, apply to a lot more programs.
I sent in over 80+ applications and hoping to get a good number of interviews to match!

can we safely assume that we wont get an interview or rejection email on saturdays and sundays? Anybody here with experience of getting one of those on weekends. i wanna jus put my phone away and go for a hike and outdoor activity

Scope guy, put the phone away regardless and go for a hike. Even if you get an invite when out hiking its not like you wont be able to reply and take your interview spot come Monday!

I applied to about 35 programs.

Neprho is a different game, they are desperate for fellows so you could easily get away with applying to less then 10.

Enjoy Scope Guy as you've already opened an account for :)interview!

Enjoy Scope Guy as you've already opened an account for :)interview!
the account is open and empty :p but really none of the programs i applied seemed to have called so far ( at least per SDN contributors). all we need is one interview to match but first have to get one for that :p

Hello everyone.
Do publications that are listed as accepted or submitted count?