Official 2015-2016 GI Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If it's accepted you can list it in your pubs, as generally the accepting journal will give you the planned issue and publication date. If it's submitted it can go on your CV but probably not on your app.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
one for page 3!! no additions

AMGs
1. Oregon health science university 7/23: scopemonkey
2. Duke 7/24 : hellokittypoops2
3. U Michigan 7/24 : hellokittypoops2
4. Cincinnati 7/24: iluvgi, scoopontherapeuticpoo, yinzerGI
5. U Rochester 7/24: tpjunkie, yinzerGI, go light
6. Methodist Dallas 7/24: massattack

IMGs without visa restrictions (us citizens from non-USA schools, green card holders)

Visa requiring IMGs

Does anyone know if top GI university programs ( e.g Hopkins, U of MI, Duke, Stanford……) do accept IMG? Thank you for your reply in advance…

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if top GI university programs ( e.g Hopkins, U of MI, Duke, Stanford……) do accept IMG? Thank you for your reply in advance…

I'm sure you can get answers to your question if you look at the GI programs website and see the listings of their fellows. Many of the programs you listed, list their fellows med school education.

I'm sure you can get answers to your question if you look at the GI programs website and see the listings of their fellows. Many of the programs you listed, list their fellows med school education.
Unfortunately not all programs post their fellows profiles

Nice job guys. The programs that offer interviews early vs late is simply a reflection of the PD of that program. I did find that it was true that US grads got first dibs; hey, it's their "home field advantage" and some would say rightfully so (given the debt owed to said country).

Not a time to panic. Relax. Most PDs haven't even seen the pile of apps their secretary left them after filtering out the low Step scores etc.

In response to the question about IMG...if you are marketable enough, you can get in anywhere. If you aren't a marketable commodity, then who cares who takes what kind of applicant...you should be willing to go anywhere at that point.

Does any one know what are the common criteria for for GI fellowship candidate selection? Is it letters,USMLE scores,University residency or medical schools etc?
Does every program place filter for scores only or any thing else?

Does any one know what are the common criteria for for GI fellowship candidate selection? Is it letters,USMLE scores,University residency or medical schools etc?
Does every program place filter for scores only or any thing else?

all of these questions are answered, in detail, in the GI forum. do a little digging...i mean, minimal, and you'll find it all.

Hi all, lurker here who finally caved and created an account.

NYC academic program resident applying for GI this cycle. No interviews yet.

Congrats to those who have already gotten interviews!

Hi all, lurker here who finally caved and created an account.

NYC academic program resident applying for GI this cycle. No interviews yet.

Congrats to those who have already gotten interviews!
Good work. The beauty of this forum is staying anonymous. contribute as much as u can. even with best CV, some of us may not get interviews. I remember speaking to 2 first year fellows, long time back. Both foreign grads needing visa. One got 3 ivs and matched at the same place where he was academic hospitalist for 2 years. another one who i have known for more than a year got 2 ivs and one program decided to stop giving visas for gi fellowship that year after finishings ivs. he fortunately matched in the other program.

these explain the thin line on which IMG applicants live. u routinely hear AMG applicants getting >5-10 interviews but for IMGs, getting one is an achievement by itself.
Good Luck

Last edited:
Good work. The beauty of this forum is staying anonymous. contribute as much as u can. even with best CV, some of us may not get interviews. I remember speaking to 2 first year fellows, long time back. Both foreign grads needing visa. One got 3 ivs and matched at the same place where he was academic hospitalist for 2 years. another one who i have known for more than a year got 2 ivs and one program decided to stop giving visas for gi fellowship on the day of iv. he fortunately matched in the other program.

these explain the thin line on which IMG applicants live. u routinely hear AMG applicants getting >5-10 interviews but for IMGs, getting one is an achievement by itself.
Good Luck

It's true, being an IMG is hard in the states. On the other hand, US med schools charge 140-240K whereas you can receive a degree in the EU for 60-90K. Why should the EU grad be on level ground with half the investment? Yes, it's a broken system, but the debt is all too real. In a perfect world, merit should dictate who does what. It's not a perfect world.

Is the general consensus that interviews are typically given by each program on a single day (ie Duke on 7/24) or on a rolling basis?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview University of Missouri Columbia, MO.
~IMG, Permanent Resident Card Holder

AMGs
1. OHSU 7/23: scopemonkey
5. U Rochester 7/24: tpjunkie, yinzerGI, go light

IMGs without visa restrictions (US citizens from non-US schools, green card holders)
1. U of Missouri Columbia 7/27: fascinatedwithGI

Visa requiring IMGs

Rochester today

AMGs
1. OHSU 7/23: scopemonkey
5. U Rochester 7/24: tpjunkie, yinzerGI, go light, iluvgi

IMGs without visa restrictions (US citizens from non-US schools, green card holders)

Visa requiring IMGs

University of Rochester invite today! :)

Academic program from philadelphia. No interviews. So scared

Had some questions for ppl who got interviews this year and previous year applicants:
Do programs offer multiple iv dates when emailing interview invite?
Any advice as to which day of the week to leave open so that it can be left open for future ivs?
between sept 1 to oct 30, which are the busiest weeks when many programs interview?
i heard that rescheduling ivs s next to impossible so wanna be aware of these. I did see some programs offered saturday interviews which would b convenient to attend without taking a day off.

thank you for replying

how important USMLE scores? Is it really < 90 considered a deal breaker?
other question I have is: one of the publications where I`m a second author just accepted; is there anyway I can update my application?

Hope4gi, definitely call ERAS ASAP and update them of your recent publication. Every paper counts, esp when you're the second author. A score <90th percentile is NOT a deal breaker.

Hope4gi, definitely call ERAS ASAP and update them of your recent publication. Every paper counts, esp when you're the second author. A score <90th percentile is NOT a deal breaker.
Thank you for your reply geffgeff. I`ll call ERAS, although I`m not very optimistic, they did not do it for my friend last year.

Lets see what today brings! Good morning everybody!

For people that got Rochester, do you guys mind sharing your credentials?

Also have any of you on visa, contemplated what your back up would be if you don't match......

Large academic residency, 6 publications, 260 steps, 2IM letters and 2GI letters, straight through from college to now.

On a side note, based on the forum from last year it looks like most programs don't give interviews until August and even into September.

Last edited:
Large academic residency, 6 publications, 260 steps, 2IM letters and 2GI letters, straight through from college to now.

On a side note, based on the forum from last year it looks like most programs don't give interviews until August and even into September.
when you guys mention publication, are these manuscripts only or includes abstracts? we enter these together in ERAS CV but wasnt sure if guys are mentioning that. When looking at last year forum, people consistently mentioned 10 publications. Many current GI fellows dont have that many. so was wondering

Me three! It's especially hard hearing our coresidents applying to other specialities getting interviews. Happy for them but at the same time anxious about not having heard yet. But I urge everyone to have faith in themselves :) Positive thinking will only help us through. Go go go everyone!

woops forgot to post re: oregon health invite that came last friday

AMGs
1. OHSU 7/23: scopemonkey, 7/24 hellokittypoops2
2. Duke 7/23 : hellokittypoops2
3. U Michigan 7/23 : hellokittypoops2

Visa requiring IMGs

Updating with interviews from 7/24, OHSU and Methodist Dallas.
Lurker, now trying posting for the first time. If I mess up the format will try to circle around and fix.

AMGs
1. OHSU 7/23: scopemonkey, 7/24 hellokittypoops2, justanotherGIguy
6. Methodist Dallas 7/24: massattack, justanotherGIguy

Visa requiring IMGs

Wake Forest IV

AMGs
7. Wake Forest 7/29: scopemonkey

Visa requiring IMGs

Last edited:
the hopkins coordinator emailed and addressed me by my first name and asked me if i had sent my hopkins application. this is after the original email a week ago. anyone else receive such an email? i wanted to ask her if her interest meant i was getting an interview but decided to stay professional :)

the hopkins coordinator emailed and addressed me by my first name and asked me if i had sent my hopkins application. this is after the original email a week ago. anyone else receive such an email? i wanted to ask her if her interest meant i was getting an interview but decided to stay professional :)
Sorry to burst ur bubble, but its just a gentle reminder to complete application before deadline. I got that email, so did my friends who applied there and hadn't submitted application yet.

Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville

AMGs
7. Wake Forest 7/29: scopemonkey
8. Mayo Clinic, Jacksonville 7/29: justanotherGIguy

Visa requiring IMGs

LSU-New Orleans, Methodist-Dallas, Wake Forest

AMGs
6. Methodist Dallas 7/24: massattack, justanotherGIguy, Frenchie1432
7. Wake Forest 7/29: scopemonkey, Frenchie1432
9. LSU-New Orleans 7/29: Frenchie1432

Visa requiring IMGs

Duke

AMGs
2. Duke 7/23 : hellokittypoops2, yinzerGI

Visa requiring IMGs

They'll likely start coming in hard and fast after the 2nd week of August, muchacho.

University of Vermont

AMGs
10. UVM 7/30: iluvgi

Visa requiring IMGs

Rochester

AMGs
5. U Rochester 7/24: tpjunkie, yinzerGI, go light, iluvgi, scopemonkey

Visa requiring IMGs

Lehigh Valley

AMGs
5. U Rochester 7/24: tpjunkie, yinzerGI, go light, iluvgi, scopemonkey
11. Lehigh Valley 7/31: tpjunkie

Visa requiring IMGs

Guys I really don't know what are the rules of this game ! NO IVs at all...

Last edited: