Official 2015-2016: Oh no, I don't have a single Interview Invite thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I agree, it's not March yet, no reason to be all doom and gloom. Exactly, positivity and humor are what this thread needs! I looked at your MD App profile, you will get in somewhere I'd be really shocked if you didn't. That'd be great, send me whatever you feel comfortable with!

That's very kind. I'll PM you my update later tonight :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Well if humor is what we need, someone is going to have to add to my Hogwarts jokes.
Well if humor is what we need, someone is going to have to add to my Hogwarts jokes.

If you are looking for humor and/or ideas for the "tell me a joke" interview question, buzzfeed has an article with the top 30 dad jokes hahah

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually have good news to share for once! (spoiler: not talking about an II)

I got home today from a 16 hour shift and grabbed the mail. There was a magazine for me and I almost threw it out (because I get a bunch of spam ones)

But once I looked closer... it was a copy of the journal that my paper was published in! Incredibly weird feeling finally seeing it in print (and feeling slightly guilty for almost throwing it out).. :smack:

The higher powers must've known I needed a little pick me up! Maybe this is a sign that we will all get the little unexpected pick me up we need these coming weeks :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 24 users
I actually have good news to share for once! (spoiler: not talking about an II)

I got home today from a 16 hour shift and grabbed the mail. There was a magazine for me and I almost threw it out (because I get a bunch of spam ones)

But once I looked closer... it was a copy of the journal that my paper was published in! Incredibly weird feeling finally seeing it in print (and feeling slightly guilty for almost throwing it out).. :smack:

The higher powers must've known I needed a little pick me up! Maybe this is a sign that we will all get a little unexpected pick me up in the coming weeks :)

I'm rooting for you! :biglove:

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think we will hear anything today? I would think the offices would be closed Wed. and Fri.?

I'm not really hoping for anything this week :( It seemed like yesterday that I was hoping for something in November as a good month for II's, and now I have to move on to December. Le sigh.

Reactions: 1 users
Do you think we will hear anything today? I would think the offices would be closed Wed. and Fri.?
Med school at my undergrad closes tomorrow earlier in the afternoon but opens in the morning... so maybe we can hear back tomorrow?

Well, I was hoping to hear something today, and I did -- it was a rejection though :smack:

Oakland's giving out rejections today and yesterday; hope no one else will be a casualty

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone else ever wish they were just born "smarter"? lol. It would make this process painless If I had photographic memory/and increased critical thinking skills so that I could get a 40+ MCAT score.

Reactions: 5 users
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/schools-that-sent-rejections-list.1162385/

Assuming your school is on the list of schools that have sent rejections then I'd agree...

Albany
Brown (Warren Alpert)
BU
Case Western (University and College Tracks)
Cooper (Rowan)
Dartmouth
Duke
EVMS
Georgetown
George Washington University School of Medicine
Hawaii
Hofstra
Indiana
Kentucky
LSU New Orleans
Maryland
Mayo
Meharry
Michigan State University
Minnesota
Nebraska
North Dakota
NYMC
Oakland
Pitt
Rochester
Rosalind Franklin
Stanford
Stony Brook
TCMC
Tufts
Tulane
U of A Phoenix
U of A Tucson
UCI
UC Davis
UCLA
UC Riverside
UC San Diego
UCSF
UChicago
UMKC
USC
U of Utah
UNC-CH
USUHS
UVA
UWash
VCU
Weill Cornell
Wake
Wisconsin
WVU
Vanderbilt

At least 8-9 of my schools have sent out rejections so far. That gives me hope haha

At least 8-9 of my schools have sent out rejections so far. That gives me hope haha
I only have 4 schools left on that list that I haven't been rejected from. (5 that I have been rejected from). Maybe after Thanksgiving we'll hear some good news.

anyone else ever wish they were just born "smarter"? lol. It would make this process painless If I had photographic memory/and increased critical thinking skills so that I could get a 40+ MCAT score.

I know you're just joking but a fatalistic attitude isn't the best to have during this whole process. I've seen you posting everywhere and we have the same stats. I prefer feeling like I'm the only reason for both my successes and failures thus far in life. I'm not trying to lecture, just saying that your attitude will determine your sanity during this whole waiting game as you know.

I know you're just joking but a fatalistic attitude isn't the best to have during this whole process. I've seen you posting everywhere and we have the same stats. I prefer feeling like I'm the only reason for both my successes and failures thus far in life. I'm not trying to lecture, just saying that your attitude will determine your sanity during this whole waiting game as you know.
Loosen up buddy....it's a very reasonable attitude. Who doesn't want to be born with a photographic memory? The ability to joke around and make fun statements is a way to cope with stress.

Reactions: 4 users
I only have 4 schools left on that list that I haven't been rejected from. (5 that I have been rejected from). Maybe after Thanksgiving we'll hear some good news.

I'm sure we will! I'm excited to spend some quality time with my family, get drunk, cuddle with my dogs, and not check my email for a couple days :)

Reactions: 2 users
My secret to not getting cut by George Washington was to submit my app after the slaughter. :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: 9 users
slowly dying inside. was hoping to have more positive news by Thanksgiving, but alas, seems I'm out of luck. :(

Received an email saying I'm still on hold for a school I was already on hold for... Welp, no new is good news? No rejections at least? :bang:

Hey all,

I am applying to dental school and post regularly on the dental forums, but I'm not terribly familiar with the medical school application cycle.

I have a friend who applied for medical school the last week of August. She is URM from an underdeveloped country, has a 3.8 GPA (3.7 science), roughly 1,000 hours volunteering, around 60 shadowing hours, plenty of work experience (medical interpreter), is non-traditional, and has what I believe are probably strong letters (2 lab PI's, chem professor she was a TA for, volunteer coordinator, lib arts professor).

She applied to 18 schools but has not heard back from any of them yet. She submitted some of her secondaries quite late (last month). She has been patient until now, but is starting to get a bit worried. She doesn't have an account on SDN, so I thought I'd ask you all if you have any idea if this is to be expected at this point in the cycle having applied so late in August. In the dental cycle, we strive for as many pre-December interviews as possible, and I am not sure if it's the same in medicine.

I have read differing opinions here as to when it is considered late in the cycle not to have any interviews. A few posts from years ago have said that September applicants may not have their application reviewed until December. Is that true in your experience? Obviously there is nothing she can do at this point, but I am kind of hoping she still has a decent shot this cycle because she seems to be a strong candidate on paper and I have no idea what could be keeping her back besides the late(ish?) submission.

Thanks!

Hey all,

I am applying to dental school and post regularly on the dental forums, but I'm not terribly familiar with the medical school application cycle.

I have a friend who applied for medical school the last week of August. She is URM from an underdeveloped country, has a 3.8 GPA (3.7 science), roughly 1,000 hours volunteering, around 60 shadowing hours, plenty of work experience (medical interpreter), is non-traditional, and has what I believe are probably strong letters (2 lab PI's, chem professor she was a TA for, volunteer coordinator, lib arts professor).

She applied to 18 schools but has not heard back from any of them yet. She submitted some of her secondaries quite late (last month). She has been patient until now, but is starting to get a bit worried. She doesn't have an account on SDN, so I thought I'd ask you all if you have any idea if this is to be expected at this point in the cycle having applied so late in August. In the dental cycle, we strive for as many pre-December interviews as possible, and I am not sure if it's the same in medicine.

I have read differing opinions here as to when it is considered late in the cycle not to have any interviews. A few posts from years ago have said that September applicants may not have their application reviewed until December. Is that true in your experience? Obviously there is nothing she can do at this point, but I am kind of hoping she still has a decent shot this cycle because she seems to be a strong candidate on paper and I have no idea what could be keeping her back besides the late(ish?) submission.

Thanks!
Means nothing without an MCAT score. Is she a US citizen?
If she submitted secondaries in October, that is pretty late regardless of stats.

Loosen up buddy....it's a very reasonable attitude. Who doesn't want to be born with a photographic memory? The ability to joke around and make fun statements is a way to cope with stress.

Err yea... this ^

Means nothing without an MCAT score. Is she a US citizen?
If she submitted secondaries in October, that is pretty late regardless of stats.

I don't know much about the new scoring system, but apparently her current score was equivalent to a 31 on the old system.

I don't know much about the new scoring system, but apparently her current score was equivalent to a 31 on the old system.
Is she a US citizen?
What is her school list?
We can't really predict without that info.

Is she a US citizen?
What is her school list?
We can't really predict without that info.

She is a US resident with a permanent green card.
Not entirely sure what her school list is, but a few include: Georgetown, Utah, Hopkins, Mayo, Washington, Michigan, Boston

She is a US resident with a permanent green card.
Not entirely sure what her school list is, but a few include: Georgetown, Utah, Hopkins, Mayo, Washington, Michigan, Boston
''

If the rest of her list is similar, she probably applied way too top heavy.

''

If the rest of her list is similar, she probably applied way too top heavy.

I have similar stats (slightly higher GPA) and I agree that list would be way too top heavy for me.

However she mentioned she was URM, and I have seen goro suggest to people with my stats and URM status to apply pretty much anywhere they want.

I hope Santa brings me an II for christmas this year :claps:

Reactions: 5 users
♪I don't want a lot for Christmas
There is just one thing I need
I don't care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree
I just want an interview for my own
More than you could ever know
Make my wish come true oh
All I want for Christmas is a chance to interview♫

Reactions: 15 users
I moved into Vermont's small pool recently, so cross my fingers >_<

I've just stopped checking their portal, honestly. Not expecting much from them

They are pretty slow, I've been complete for about 17-18 weeks, so it sounds like it's probably 11-12 weeks for processing your app and then 6 weeks for preliminary review.. But they do seem pretty behind now since it's already after Thanksgiving. I'll be happy to hear from anywhere at this point though haha.

They are pretty slow, I've been complete for about 17-18 weeks, so it sounds like it's probably 11-12 weeks for processing your app and then 6 weeks for preliminary review.. But they do seem pretty behind now since it's already after Thanksgiving. I'll be happy to hear from anywhere at this point though haha.

Yeah, I was 12 weeks this Friday but I am sure the holiday's probably screwed up the timeline a little. I may sent them an email through the portal in the next 1-2 weeks if I haven't moved to preliminary review by then.

I'm in purgatory at a bunch of schools, they've sent out rejections to people that submitted after me, and also given II's to people who have submitted after me.

I think my state school lost my application. I haven't been reviewed by a human being and I've been complete for 12 weeks. I'm getting really frustrated.

I've also applied to DO schools (although I was late to the game on that), and I haven't heard back from most of them. This process is really bumming me out :(

Reactions: 3 users
I'm thinking we should make a "Its December and I dont have any acceptances support group" thread. LOL..actually its not funny...

Reactions: 9 users
just re-read my personal statement and thought to myself wow no wonder no school wants me...

warning: don't do it

Reactions: 11 users