Official 2015-2016: Oh no, I don't have a single Interview Invite thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Also, just a mini rant: to the schools who still haven't sent me anything at all since I submitted my application: why? Who wins here? We paid an awful lot of money and quite frankly I find it extremely disrespectful.

There are 2 schools that are done interviewing that I haven't heard anything from as well. That is incredibly frustrating. One even still indicates my pre-interview hold as a status.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There are 2 schools that are done interviewing that I haven't heard anything from as well. That is incredibly frustrating. One even still indicates my pre-interview hold as a status.
Horrible. Some of the schools I applied to, like Rush and Jefferson, have been exceptional. Others have not. I get that they hold all the cards, but it's unprofessional and unnecessary.

I have 2 as well I heard nothing from one of which was my state school.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe. I tend to cling to hope too much--it's a fault of mine. I just really want to know if they are going to reject me. Because of the way my mind works, there's an enormous difference between a 1% and a 0% chance at acceptance.

I truly believe you have at least 1% chance.

In fact, I think your chance is probably better than mine from what I've read and I still have some hope for myself.

Right. There's a huge surplus of qualified people.
The unfortunate fact of the matter is that I will simply never be what the medical schools really want. I'm never going to be the person who gets a 97th percentile MCAT or Step 1 score. I'm never going to be person who leaps off the page with a fascinating life journey. I'm just a normal guy who has worked extremely hard, has a lot of passion, and what I like to believe is a compelling reason to enter medicine. I'm not a superstar and I never will be. This is fine because I'm happy with who I am and I can graduate college knowing that I never stopped fighting to do everything I can to get in. Hopefully one day a school decides to take a chance on me. I really do believe that I would be a good medical student and doctor. But until then I guess I just have to do more.

Ugh god I couldn't have said it even better myself. Though I do consider myself somewhat disadvantaged and have had to handle a large amount of adversity...either schools didn't give a **** or I just did an absolutely abysmal job of displaying why this makes me unique--beginning to think its a bit of the first and much more of the 2nd.

Reactions: 4 users
In fact, I think your chance is probably better than mine from what I've read and I still have some hope for myself.
Here is my opinion on it. I'll post it here because every time I post something hopeful in the Rosalind thread I get attacked:
A) Last year, they interviewed 249 Illinois applicants. 70 matriculated. The national average for acceptance to matriculation ratio is 2.5:1. A conservative estimate would be 2:1. That means we should be seeing between 56 and 70% of Illinois interviewees getting accepted. I interviewed with two people I know, both of whom are on the waitlist. I count about 10 people who regularly post on the Rosalind thread (before decisions, so no selection bias for waitlisted applicants) who interviewed around the same time as us, who were put on the waitlist. The fact that 0 of us have been accepted, coupled with the fact that a big percentage of their last round acceptances came from the March 11 date, I believe is statistically significant. I could be wrong.

B) I don't consider their waitlist to be a waitlist. I truly believe that in 2016 they have given out few, if any, direct acceptances. I think that the waitlist is a stepping stone to acceptance and that sometime in the next 10 days or so they will pull more people off of it. Again, I could be wrong.

Overall, I think it's a real chance. Not a good chance, but a real number. Probably my best chance at getting into medical school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Here is my opinion on it. I'll post it here because every time I post something hopeful in the Rosalind thread I get attacked:
A) Last year, they interviewed 249 Illinois applicants. 70 matriculated. The national average for acceptance to matriculation ratio is 2.5:1. A conservative estimate would be 2:1. That means we should be seeing between 56 and 70% of Illinois interviewees getting accepted. I interviewed with two people, both of whom are on the waitlist. I count about 10 people who regularly post on the Rosalind thread (before decisions, so no selection bias for waitlisted applicants) who interviewed around the same time as us, who were put on the waitlist. The fact that 0 of us have been accepted, coupled with the fact that a big percentage of their last round acceptances came from the March 11 date, I believe is statistically significant. I could be wrong.

B) I don't consider their waitlist to be a waitlist. I truly believe that in 2016 they have given out few, if any, direct acceptances. I think that the waitlist is a stepping stone to acceptance and that sometime in the next 10 days or so they will pull more people off of it. Again, I could be wrong.

Overall, I think it's a real chance. Not a good chance, but a real number. Probably my best chance at getting into medical school.

I'm with ya completely. No attacks from me. There are a couple of curmudgeonly folks on that thread.

Side note: I used to think of myself as curmudgeonly until I found this website. :p

Reactions: 2 users
Interesting, I wouldn't doubt it if it's an unofficial waitlist. However, I believe I heard somewhere that the amount of movement on a school's waitlist is used when they come out with medical school rankings. Therefore a school that goes through say 50 people on a waitlist to fill in a few spots will have it negatively affect their ranking. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Interesting, I wouldn't doubt it if it's an unofficial waitlist. However, I believe I heard somewhere that the amount of movement on a school's waitlist is used when they come out with medical school rankings. Therefore a school that goes through say 50 people on a waitlist to fill in a few spots will have it negatively affect their ranking. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

What ranking?

It could be perceived as negative, but I don't think it's as significant as the other metric (GPA, MCAT, diversity, etc).

That logic seems sound--waitlist movement implies that a greater amount of people decided to go to another school, which makes them look worse. Then again, I'm not sure how concerned Rosalind Franklin (as an unrated school, I think? I've never looked at the list) is with rankings.

In case you're not familiar, since January not a single person on the Rosalind Franklin thread has reported a direct acceptance post-interview. Every interview has come from off the waitlist. Some were accepted literally two days after being placed on the waitlist. I could be wrong and there could be scores of people getting accepted that aren't posting, but I suspect that this is not the case. I will consider their waitlist a true waitlist in May.

One of my WL schools started movement today *gasp*

Reactions: 8 users
Ugh no waitlist movement here either. Looks like more waiting.

That logic seems sound--waitlist movement implies that a greater amount of people decided to go to another school, which makes them look worse. Then again, I'm not sure how concerned Rosalind Franklin (as an unrated school, I think? I've never looked at the list) is with rankings.
If you are on the waitlist there or any other unranked school I really like your chances! One unranked school that I interviewed at admitted that if you are placed on the waitlist not to be too concerned as they have a great deal of movement. It is only a matter of time...

If you are on the waitlist there or any other unranked school I really like your chances! One unranked school that I interviewed at admitted that if you are placed on the waitlist not to be too concerned as they have a great deal of movement. It is only a matter of time...
I'm on the waitlist at two unranked schools! Hopefully something comes of it.

It's referring to the US News and World Report. I've never actually looked at it. It's a silly, pointless thing.

Gotcha . I wouldn't worry about that. At the end of the day all the students are taking the same exact boards . I imagine a lot of an MD students trajectory is based on certain intrinsic factors that can outweigh any "ranking" system. I'm rooting for you!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

When people ask me what my plans are post grad:
michael.jpg

Reactions: 12 users
Anyone else feel jaded? I can't study at all anymore...

I just dont get it...in prior years EVMS had alot of movement prior to April 30..this year just 1 person...My other 2 waitlists nothing too but I didnt expect movement until after May for them.

I've spent all day at work staring at my email, feeling nauseated, wanting to cry.

I sort of can't believe that one of my schools hasn't even given me an initial decision yet. Is that even a good thing or did they just forget I existed?

I just dont get it...in prior years EVMS had alot of movement prior to April 30..this year just 1 person...My other 2 waitlists nothing too but I didnt expect movement until after May for them.

Same. I'm waiting for EVMS too and I thought there would be movement this week :(

I've spent all day at work staring at my email, feeling nauseated, wanting to cry.

I sort of can't believe that one of my schools hasn't even given me an initial decision yet. Is that even a good thing or did they just forget I existed?
I think at this point they just want to see where they're at in terms of movement post traffic day before they decide what's happening. Hang tight!

Sent from my SM-G900V using SDN mobile

I'm so excited to see movement after April 30th for you guys like I can't wait

Reactions: 7 users
I have to say there are quite alot of us with only WL's and no acceptance. Little frightening.

Reactions: 7 users
I'm just getting flashes of going to graduation and everybody I've worked with over the past four years asking me where I'm going to medical school. And my family is going to be there and I don't think I've ever dreaded something so intensely in my entire life.

Reactions: 6 users
Waitlist expectation v. reality:

Expectation:
G6xQ5J.gif

Reality:
tumblr_n086os0eaW1ql591ho1_500.gif

b7b5048a-d255-11e4-a92f-12716a182fc8.gif

8a714ea0-6d18-0132-1830-0a7dfd902b7c.gif

Reactions: 9 users
And some of my family and friends decided to " skip college" altogether. So they've been working mediocre jobs for the past 4 years while I've been " preparing to be a doctor". Funny thing is , right now they're way " ahead " of me. I have a boat load of undergrad loans and no med school acceptance yet.