Official 2016-2017 Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Brown University Heme / Onc

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to folks who matched in their desired program.

Just a couple of words for people out there whom we all know exist and are reading this:

1- Folks who are upset about dropping down their list: first, you guys matched and you're in a better position already than the folks in #2 below. It can be frustrating that you did not get what you expected and now maybe your whole plans have changed. Moving to a different city and now spouses have to look for new jobs or do long distance for 3 years...etc. Just take a deep breath and move on. It'll be fine. It's only 3 years and they'll fly by. No matter what program you go to, you'll be just fine. The differences between the programs you interviewed at are likely smaller than what you think. Most likely you will end up liking the program and your new co-fellows. And if you don't, you can spend those 3 years and get the **** out of there.

2- Folks who did not match: I'm really sorry. It sucks. But at least you can still easily have a job (kind of anywhere) and make good cash. If hem/onc is the love of your life, do a little something extra and re-apply. maybe some research or find a hospitalist job on a hematology/BMT floor where you can get to know people and make some connections. If you're not that committed to the specialty or if you think there might be a major flaw in you application that will make your chances of matching very slim, just pass. don't look back. find a nice job that pays well and take care of your family.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to folks who matched in their desired program.

Just a couple of words for people out there whom we all know exist and are reading this:

1- Folks who are upset about dropping down their list: first, you guys matched and you're in a better position already than the folks in #2 below. It can be frustrating that you did not get what you expected and now maybe your whole plans have changed. Moving to a different city and now spouses have to look for new jobs or do long distance for 3 years...etc. Just take a deep breath and move on. It'll be fine. It's only 3 years and they'll fly by. No matter what program you go to, you'll be just fine. The differences between the programs you interviewed at are likely smaller than what you think. Most likely you will end up liking the program and your new co-fellows. And if you don't, you can spend those 3 years and get the **** out of there.

2- Folks who did not match: I'm really sorry. It sucks. But at least you can still easily have a job (kind of anywhere) and make good cash. If hem/onc is the love of your life, do a little something extra and re-apply. maybe some research or find a hospitalist job on a hematology/BMT floor where you can get to know people and make some connections. If you're not that committed to the specialty or if you think there might be a major flaw in you application that will make your chances of matching very slim, just pass. don't look back. find a nice job that pays well and take care of your family.
Great post. Worthy of a little Amazon Gift Card from the SDN staff.

Reactions: 1 users
Matched at Mayo Rochester. Thank you everyone for your help.

Thank you the above post. I matched lower in my rank but I am happy, atleast I am sure to become an oncologist in 3 years. Now because of change in plans and moving to a new city and having a long distance from my spouse for atleast a year, our expenses will divide and for that I am looking for moonlighting opportunities. Those of you in heme onc fellowship do you think moonlighting is feasible in the first year ? and how much extra cash can you make out it ? Thanks .

Thank you the above post. I matched lower in my rank but I am happy, atleast I am sure to become an oncologist in 3 years. Now because of change in plans and moving to a new city and having a long distance from my spouse for atleast a year, our expenses will divide and for that I am looking for moonlighting opportunities. Those of you in heme onc fellowship do you think moonlighting is feasible in the first year ? and how much extra cash can you make out it ? Thanks .

I'm sure it's program dependent. One place I applied didn't allow for moonlighting at all; another basically let you moonlight taking calls from home for nights when you were on the rotation (people seemed to make a lot of extra $$ there). I think your best bet is to contact some of the current fellows at the institution you matched at to see what the possibilities are. Don't forget you may (or may not) need a full state license to moonlight and that will also cost $$ and time if that's required.

Good luck.

Definitely program dependent. My program would allow you to do it on the BMT service, but only on months you weren't on inpatient service as that could be interpreted as CMS double-dipping. There were some other in-house moonlighting opportunities available as well that you could do while on-service, but you were busier those months than the ICU interns so nobody ever did it.

I think the fellows at MSKCC or Yale (?) told me you could simply pick-up extra nights for the busier services. Which seems ideal - you're already familiar with the structure, the EMR, etc. Hopefully, this is available where you are.

Most of the other institutions allowed one to cover the medicine service.

The University of Connecticut School of Medicine and Connecticut Children’s Medical Center are pleased to announce the recent addition of a Fellowship in Pediatric Hematology/Oncology!

Recruitment has begun and is underway for the 2018 Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Fellowship position.

Our Pediatric Hematology/Oncology Fellowship prepares individuals to become leaders in the field of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology by providing the highest quality training in the diagnosis and treatment of blood and cancer disorders through exceptional clinical care and research. Through our unique collaboration with Jackson Laboratory Facility, we offer research opportunities in state-of-the-art genetic laboratories to prepare physician scientists as well as expert clinicians. Fellows also will have the opportunity for additional training in the diagnosis and management of bone marrow transplant through rotations at Boston Children's/Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.

We are seeking talented and passionate individuals who seek to train in Pediatric Hematology/Oncology. Interested applicants can obtain detailed information about this innovative and exciting Fellowship by contacting the program coordinator, Marianne Gonzalez, at [email protected].

Applications will be accepted via ERAS through 4/30/17. Fellowship commences July 1, 2018.

Thank you for sharing this announcement widely with your pediatric colleagues who may be interested.

This is a great thread. I was hoping if anyone could help me out by giving feedback on cali programs. I am PGY2 on the east coast. Looking to come back to southern california or Fresno (my hometown). My questions are following. I am looking to go into private practice, I do not want a research heavy program

1) How would you rate harbor ucla clinical track?
2) Any thoughts on UC irvine/Loma Linda/Scripps and USC?
3) Any thoughts on UCSF-Fresno?

Thank You !

any responses from people who interviewed this year?

any responses from people who interviewed this year?
I interviewed only at USC from this list. It is a great program clinically and the fellows rotate through three different hospitals with diverse patient population. They are very strong in benign hematology (some patient gave them 60 million dollars for benign hem - go figure!).

I interviewed only at USC from this list. It is a great program clinically and the fellows rotate through three different hospitals with diverse patient population. They are very strong in benign hematology (some patient gave them 60 million dollars for benign hem - go figure!).

Thank you !

2017 JULY - I AM STARTING FELLOWSHIP IN HEME ONC in NEWYORK CITY . WOULD ANYBODY LIKE TO SWAP POSITIONS ? Depends on where you have matched.

Is it time for the 2017- 2018 thread ? Tokens available from next week.

Hi guys,

I'd appreciate any opinions on how to rank these places for an applicant interested in an academic career in malignant heme, specifically lymphomas:
Univ of Washington/Fred Hutch
Stanford
UPenn
UCLA harbor/city of hope
BIDMC
Fox Chase
Case western
Albert einstein montefiore
Baylor
U maryland
U Rochester
U Buffalo